Transfer window success rate. Marks out of 10.

BOF

Pick one  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

Question,

If we had done this poll on day one of the window with a list of those we bought (and sold) and asked for a rating how many would have gone below 9 or 10

We started to get greedy and are marking displeasure at not having anything to crow about on deadline day

Get a Grip :bang:

I think there are a lot of realistic votes but i also think some have slipped into the trap of using Man city as a bench mark.

B6Bloke, you are absolutely bang on.

We are ASTON VILLA - lets not forget that

Friedel and Guzan - good, although it would be better if Friedel was a few years younger and he's actually looked a bit dodgy so far

Cuellar and Davies - excellent buys

Shorey and Young - solid but unspectacular. Finally filled the right back void, however i'd have rather seen Vedran Corluka come instead. Both have looked poor so far

Sidwell - solid

Milner - good buy, would have preferred Bentley though

The fact we havent signed a striker is a joke

9 and it would have been 10 had we signed a striker.

Getting key players in from other teams for positions of desperate need for us and Barry staying is huge and obviously we weren't bullied by a Sky 4 team unlike Spurs (everyone's favourite team) who were twice, yes twice!

This window we laid down a marker that we wont be bullied and if a player wants to go you will still have to play top dollar for them.

Signing a striker would have just made it a perfect window but cant complain with what we have now.

8 for me

still missing another striker and a bit of cover on the right, but neither are huge omissions and can be fixed in january

however its very important that they ARE fixed in january, i dont think we should even be considering going through the entire season with the front line as it is

unless of course mon is gonna bring larsson in in the next week or so (which he can do as a free agent)

however its very important that they ARE fixed in january, i dont think we should even be considering going through the entire season with the front line as it is

All through January we will hear 'We're working on the striker situation' then as it nears an end 'We're still working on it' and then we won't sign one. It's hard to get a striker in don't you know, yet other teams manage fine. All the strikers in Europe and we can't find one, i've said it before and i'll say it again, our scouts are crap

A solid 8

We need another forward - and Man Citeh have shown what can be done to capture the imagination.

I would have liked a better right back, but there you go, nothing wrong with Young, just wanted a bit more.

I love MON's decision to go (mostly) English, but England just aren't that good, and we would have bought more foreigners in - peraps a Villa for the Villa?

All through January we will hear 'We're working on the striker situation' then as it nears an end 'We're still working on it' and then we won't sign one. It's hard to get a striker in don't you know, yet other teams manage fine. All the strikers in Europe and we can't find one, i've said it before and i'll say it again, our scouts are crap

ah you never know

i do think its important that its something we work on from now until the window opens tho, with the aim of getting one of the players mon identifies as targets in as quickly as possible

none of this sitting round waiting for the window to open before starting to work on things

A solid 8

We need another forward - and Man Citeh have shown what can be done to capture the imagination.

I would have liked a better right back, but there you go, nothing wrong with Young, just wanted a bit more.

I love MON's decision to go (mostly) English, but England just aren't that good, and we would have bought more foreigners in - peraps a Villa for the Villa?

i think we should really go for broke with the striker, as you say why not go for villa

there wouldnt appear to be too many pieces of the puzzle missing. look at torres at liverpool to see just how much difference one player can make. when we play great we're brilliant, but when we play poorly theres nobody to drag us kicking and screaming to 3 points with a moment of genius. what we need to do is spend big money and try our best to bring in one of the best on the planet, if that doesnt work, well then we should continue as we have been

7 for me, some good solid signings who will improve once they've bedded in. Would have liked a wow signing but don't think that is MON's way. He will buy who he thinks fits our team and system. Will MON's way succeed or not? Only time will tell, but good management can work wonders, you've only got to look at Spain to see some of the smaller clubs have gatecrashed the top few places in the league in recent years and they have not used the resources that the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona have.

Gonna stick this in VT and Off Topic. Its my high tech screengrab of Sky Sports News final table in terms of the transfer window.

2q8sw8k.png

27wx4z7.png

Only four clubs turned a profit. I think only Chelsea of those clubs sold players that they werent desperate to keep. West Ham didnt want to sell Ferdinand, Blackburn didnt want to sell Bentley or Brad, Spurs certainly didnt want to sell their strikers.

It seems Man Utd didnt complete the Tevez deal as was widely reported a month or so back. They have just got him on another years loan. When (and i think it is a case of when) they do complete the deal, its going to be in excess of £30m again, isnt it?

Surprised Fulham have such a net spend. Thats two seasons in a row that they have bought in a lot of players.

All we've really done is address problems that should have been sorted months ago. Friedel and Cuellar are good buys, but I can't see where Sidwell is going to fit in. We've filled the holes but haven't assembled a side capable of a realistic challenge for the top 4, which in my opinion we'd need to do if I was going to give an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Before anyone continues of me being negative, we still have no cover at left back, right back, left midfield, right midfield or up front (unless you count Harewood, which is pushing it!)

I posted something in OT last night about the respective spending of La Liga and the Prem. As a whole, La Liga turned a modest net profit on transfer, the league in effect making 20m Euros. The Premiership spent 272m Euros net.

Incredible.

striking options look poor. A lot of pressure on Gabby to improve and not do **** all in games, Carew to not get injured, Marlon to resemble some form of competence when he starts and Defouneso to not be cowed or bullied when he get's a chance.

Short of cover at full back too.

goalkeeping dept looks good, milner, and sidwell will hopefully be good and having cuellar luke and nicky in defence is nice, but fairly obvious they weren't our first choices.

I wonder why the persons that voted "1" and "4" haven't disclosed their reasons?

come on! i want to hear the reasons behind the 1 point mark given

Good buys to strengthen our squad, but have they really strengthened the team?

I am happy with the buys, except we need an extra forward...The new players are good, but noen of the deserves above 7.

1. Shorey is not as good as Bouma --> 0 points given

2. Guzan is a sub --> 0 points

3. Friedel is old, may last as first choice for just one season, has shown rustiness already-> 2 point

4. Cuellar: is he better than Davies/Laursen or the man he replaced: Mellberg? No! Bench! --> 0 points

5. L. Young: good to have a RB --> 5 points

6. Sidwell gives us strength in depth, but is not a starter unless we use 3 CM and drop one of the three starters we have --> 0 points

7. Milner: Good to have a right winger --> 6 points

8. Davies, already was here last year, so not a reinforcement --> 0 points

9. No striker --> -1

8 players 12 points is 1,5 points average. I gave 1 point because I think the average was so low!!! Don't be mad! This is just my honest opinion. :shock:

We spent a shed load of money, 4 very good signings in Davies, Cuellar, Sidwell and Milner. Excellent business with the Freidel/Guzan combo. One very solid right-back in Young and a player others seem to rate quite highly in Shorey (to early for me to judge). The manager would have liked to bring in another striker and I think we pursued one till the end of the window but it didn't come off, still I am not too worried about this department as we score goals from all over the pitch and enough to tie us over till january. A solid 9/10.

I went for 7. Some good, solid signings. I would have liked another striker and a midfield play maker but those we did sign are of good enough quality to ensure that we fight it out for 5th to 7th spots. I can see us winning a cup this season. I like the Cuellar signing particularly. My one moan is that we didn't make a marquee signing, but then again, they don't always work anyway. If I had to use one word to sum our transfer activities up, I would say "solid".

Â