Conference League Thread 2023/4

Demitri_C

59 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Probably want to avoid Fenerbahce and Besiktas as well if we're trying to get a perfect group draw...

Frankfurt conceded a last minute equaliser away from home

Yeah i dont want to go to turkey personally 

Fenebache have run riot tonight

I work in frankfurt so obviously want us to draw them, the stadium is also really good

But I can tell you the city is rough as ****, one of the roughest city centres I've ever seen, the drug use near the main train station has to be seen to be believed

I think we'd have trouble here

The city is also paired with brum so there's a Birmingham bar in town and a lot of Irish bars

Wednesday 23rd August 2023
UEFA Europa Conference League - Main Path - Play-off Round, First Leg

Spartak Trnava (Svk) 1-1 Dnipro-1 (Ukr)
Hibernian (Sco) 0-5 Aston Villa (Eng)

Thursday 24th August 2023
UEFA Europa League – Play-off Round, First Leg (Losers enter Conference League)

Slavia Prague (Cze) 2-0 Zorya Luhansk (Ukr)
Olympiacos (Gre) 3-1 Cukaricki (Srb)
Union Saint-Gilloise (Bel) 2-0 Lugano (Sui)
Ludogorets (Bul) 1-4 Ajax (Ned)
BK Hacken (Swe) 2-2 Aberdeen (Sco)
LASK (Aut) 2-1 Zrinjski (Bih)
KI (Fro) 1-1 Sheriff Tiraspol (Mda)
Olimpija (Svn) 0-2 Qarabag (Aze)
Slovan Bratislava (Svk) 2-1 Aris Limassol (Cyp)
Dinamo Zagreb (Cro) 3-1 Sparta Prague (Cze)
UEFA Europa Conference League - Champions Path – Play-off Round, First Leg
Ballkani (Kos) 4-1 BATE Borisov (Bls)
Zalgiris (Ltu) 0-4 Ferencvaros (Hun)
Struga (Mkd) 0-1 Breidablik (Isl)
Farul Constanta (Rou) 2-1 HJK (Fin)
Astana (Kaz) 1-0 Partizani (Alb)

UEFA Europa Conference League - Main Path – Play-off Round, First Leg

Levski Sofia (Bul) 1-1 Eintracht Frankfurt (Ger)
Gent (Bel) 2-0 APOEL (Cyp)
Sepsi (Rou) 2-2 Bodo/Glimt (Nor)
Tobol (Kaz) 1-2 Viktoria Plzen (Cze)
Midtjylland (Den) 3-3 Legia Warsaw (Pol)
Lille (Fra) 2-1 Rijeka (Cro)
Genk (Bel) 2-1 Adana Demirspor (Tur)
Fenerbahce (Tur) 5-1 Twente (Ned)
Dynamo Kyiv (Ukr) 2-3 Besiktas (Tur)
AZ (Ned) 1-1 Brann (Nor)
Rapid Vienna (Aut) 1-0 Fiorentina (Ita)
Hearts (Sco) 1-2 PAOK (Gre)
Nordsjaelland (Den) 5-0 Partizan (Srb)
Osasuna (Esp) 1-2 Club Brugge (Bel)
Maccabi Tel Aviv (Isr) 4-1 Celje (Svn)

So with the losers of the Europa League play-off round entering the Conference League group stage, the favourites in pretty much all of those ties have won tonight. Aberdeen are looking good for a place in the Eruopa League group stage, while the likes of Ajax and Olympiacos should have comfortable routes to that Group Stage.
Very interesting night in the Conference League. Frankfurt were pegged back late on by Levski but should win at home next week. Lille were behind for a while but go to Rijeka with a goal advantage. Fenerbahce have been impressive all summer and proved it with a huge win over Twente. Besiktas picked up a super win in Bucharest against Dynamo Kyiv to be favourites next week. Our old adversaries, Rapid Vienna got the better of Fiorentina with a excellent rear-guard effort. Hearts lost late on at home to PAOK, while Club Brugge got the better of Osasuna in the tie of the round, despite being on the back foot for long periods.

Edited by Ceemo
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I work in frankfurt so obviously want us to draw them, the stadium is also really good

But I can tell you the city is rough as ****, one of the roughest city centres I've ever seen, the drug use near the main train station has to be seen to be believed

I think we'd have trouble here

The city is also paired with brum so there's a Birmingham bar in town and a lot of Irish bars

the fans are dodgy as well. Caused trouble in Barcelona and London

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i dont want to go to turkey personally 

Fenebache have run riot tonight

That result is a bit blinkered as it was a draw until the Dutch team got a first half red card

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Frankfurt? The one in Germany? I'm surprised. Not at the drug use (and sleazy thefts, etc.), but it being "rough" in terms of personal safety?

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos

6 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

I'd rather play them than Fiorentina though 

It seems like our destiny to face Rapid ... again.

Aston Villa suffer recurring nightmare as Rapid Vienna inflict damage again
Stuart James at Villa Park
Thu 26 Aug 2010 17.10 EDT
"Your nightmare returns" proclaimed the banner held aloft by the Rapid Vienna supporters beforehand, and so it proved as Aston Villa were knocked out of Europe by the Austrian side for the second successive season on a night of crushing disappointment for the Midlands club. The match was within their grasp when Emile Heskey put them 2-1 up and 3-2 ahead on aggregate but, as was the case last year, Villa pressed the self-destruct button and allowed Rapid back into the game late on.

Two goals in three minutes, from Mario Sonnleitner and the substitute Rene Gartler, left Villa nursing an uncomfortable sense of déjà vu and looking like a team desperately in need of new leadership. Randy Lerner, the Villa chairman, had wanted to give Kevin MacDonald every chance to succeed Martin O'Neill but this latest setback, coming on the back of Sunday's humiliating 6-0 defeat at St James' Park, suggests the job is one step too far for the reserve-team manager.

giphy.gif

got some work colleagues in frankfurt and we're already planning a meet up over a beer if we play each other. hoping they'd look after me if the city is as rough as it sounds

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Fiorentina are my second team after living there last summer. 

Seems fitting that they get knocked out to Rapid. I’d fancy them to do enough to get through in the second leg though. 

It's silly, but they always have some of the best kit, too. I mean, it is Florence, so one would hope.

7 hours ago, tomav84 said:

got some work colleagues in frankfurt and we're already planning a meet up over a beer if we play each other. hoping they'd look after me if the city is as rough as it sounds

Around the train station is really bad but had no issues with weirdos (except an English hen party) the more you get into the centre

• Like 1

Â