Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

32 minutes ago, est1874 said:

How does his crest help us do that, though?

It's crap, and it doesn't scale.

It is highly unlikely that the crest will be used in every scenario.  The new lion (or what has been leaked / trade-marked) is, I think, so much more in tune with Aston Villa and more marketable than the one on the Purslow badge.  It's our lion, it's facing the right way, it's bright, it's bold and it will work well on a huge range of merchandise.  I also think that it will look brilliant at a larger scale - e.g. around the ground, club facilities (and because it is almost identical to the one that is there we can take longer updating it too without it looking confusing - whereas with the claret lion facing the other way any discrepancies would stand out more - as highlighted by the number of comments about us having two badges this season).  I don't like the light blue / yellow contrast on the crest (the limitations of which have been pointed out at length and I think almost everyone agrees with - especially at smaller scales).  But I do think that the shape of the crest is better (there are no others of the same shape - all "shields" are not the same - so that in itself has advantages) and I think the lion is unmistakably the Villa lion and so those elements are both improvements.

I don't know how we resolve the colour issue.  I think changing the blue to claret would make the lion stand out better - but the crest then looks less different to West Ham (claret background with a yellow motif).  The claret lion does stand out well against the blue (the colour contrast is one thing on the Purslow badge that does work) but I think the crest is pretty much the only time this would be the case.  You can't put a claret lion on most of our leisurewear / merchanise (which is typically claret) without putting it on another background colour.  Whilst the lion needs to work in monochrome / without colour (i.e. glass etching, etc) having our lion change from claret to yellow in too many different scenarios seems (to me) to be more confusing or at least just as confusing as having two badges.  I wouldn't be adverse to a claret lion - in some ways it fits very neatly into the Villa story - but I do worry that it is more difficult to use in stand-alone scenarios. 

I also think that a yellow lion gives us more consistency when it comes to supplementary elements within the wider branding.  For example, (whether you like the font or not) the 150 year thing looks better in yellow than it would in claret or light blue.  A three colour palette gives more options than a two colour palette (or four v three if you want to include white as an official Villa colour).  Although I do also agree with the comments made that we're "claret and blue" and yet there is precious little claret in our crest where the dominant colours are "yellow and blue".  But I think that could be solved by finding a way to add more claret highlights / details into the crest.

To be fair it's kind of difficult for any of us to know until we see the full breadth of the branding.  (For example as much as I dislike the Purslow badge for being an uninspiring, generic rehash of the default "plug and play" design of - make it round, make the motif simpler and reduce it to a two colour palette - I have to say that I do like some of the monochrome versions and think they look quite cool.)  

My view is that the lion motif is the key to Aston Villa and our brand not the crest (in the same way that the Liver bird is more important that Liverpool's coat of arms).  And this is probably my biggest issue with the Purslow badge - it feels like we changed the lion just to make it work better on the crest.  I'd much rather we found ways of changing the crest to work with the lion (and just to be 100% clear in my view - the new, trade-marked version; the Purslow version and the Lerner version have all failed to do that satisfactorily).  I do like the idea that we're adding detail to our motif rather than stripping it back to its simplest form - to me that feels like an acknowledgement of our history and also that we do things our way.

I am sure that not everyone will feel the same way - but for me the lion is 1000 times more important than the shape of the badge.  And it feels like last year we compromised the lion too much in order to fit in with the desire for a round / two-tone badge.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, allani said:

It is highly unlikely that the crest will be used in every scenario.  The new lion (or what has been leaked / trade-marked) is, I think, so much more in tune with Aston Villa and more marketable than the one on the Purslow badge.  It's our lion, it's facing the right way, it's bright, it's bold and it will work well on a huge range of merchandise.  I also think that it will look brilliant at a larger scale - e.g. around the ground, club facilities (and because it is almost identical to the one that is there we can take longer updating it too without it looking confusing - whereas with the claret lion facing the other way any discrepancies would stand out more - as highlighted by the number of comments about us having two badges this season).  I don't like the light blue / yellow contrast on the crest (the limitations of which have been pointed out at length and I think almost everyone agrees with - especially at smaller scales).  But I do think that the shape of the crest is better (there are no others of the same shape - all "shields" are not the same - so that in itself has advantages) and I think the lion is unmistakably the Villa lion and so those elements are both improvements.

I don't know how we resolve the colour issue.  I think changing the blue to claret would make the lion stand out better - but the crest then looks less different to West Ham (claret background with a yellow motif).  The claret lion does stand out well against the blue (the colour contrast is one thing on the Purslow badge that does work) but I think the crest is pretty much the only time this would be the case.  You can't put a claret lion on most of our leisurewear / merchanise (which is typically claret) without putting it on another background colour.  Whilst the lion needs to work in monochrome / without colour (i.e. glass etching, etc) having our lion change from claret to yellow in too many different scenarios seems (to me) to be more confusing or at least just as confusing as having two badges.  I wouldn't be adverse to a claret lion - in some ways it fits very neatly into the Villa story - but I do worry that it is more difficult to use in stand-alone scenarios. 

I also think that a yellow lion gives us more consistency when it comes to supplementary elements within the wider branding.  For example, (whether you like the font or not) the 150 year thing looks better in yellow than it would in claret or light blue.  A three colour palette gives more options than a two colour palette (or four v three if you want to include white as an official Villa colour).  Although I do also agree with the comments made that we're "claret and blue" and yet there is precious little claret in our crest where the dominant colours are "yellow and blue".  But I think that could be solved by finding a way to add more claret highlights / details into the crest.

To be fair it's kind of difficult for any of us to know until we see the full breadth of the branding.  (For example as much as I dislike the Purslow badge for being an uninspiring, generic rehash of the default "plug and play" design of - make it round, make the motif simpler and reduce it to a two colour palette - I have to say that I do like some of the monochrome versions and think they look quite cool.)  

My view is that the lion motif is the key to Aston Villa and our brand not the crest (in the same way that the Liver bird is more important that Liverpool's coat of arms).  And this is probably my biggest issue with the Purslow badge - it feels like we changed the lion just to make it work better on the crest.  I'd much rather we found ways of changing the crest to work with the lion (and just to be 100% clear in my view - the new, trade-marked version; the Purslow version and the Lerner version have all failed to do that satisfactorily).  I do like the idea that we're adding detail to our motif rather than stripping it back to its simplest form - to me that feels like an acknowledgement of our history and also that we do things our way.

I am sure that not everyone will feel the same way - but for me the lion is 1000 times more important than the shape of the badge.  And it feels like last year we compromised the lion too much in order to fit in with the desire for a round / two-tone badge.

**** West Ham, gold lion on claret background is the only way it works.

9 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

**** West Ham, gold lion on claret background is the only way it works.

I mean you'd hope that there is a significant enough difference in the motif for it not to be confusing at all.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I mean you'd hope that there is a significant enough difference in the motif for it not to be confusing at all.  

Unless the lion is yielding hammers then I reckon so

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Here is my effort. 

The Lion is riding a penny farthing representing hope.

image.jpeg.231cab1e02a834fcb065075f179a70e2.jpeg

Genuinely better than Heck's badge.

Most fans don't like the AVFC so hide it. Round - check, colours - not ideal but improved, lion direction - kind of right (as in left), but also forwards so it's modern, bike - represents a new way to reach Villa Park (or the new mega stadium!) in order to ease congestion issues.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Genuinely better than Heck's badge.

Most fans don't like the AVFC so hide it. Round - check, colours - not ideal but improved, lion direction - kind of right (as in left), but also forwards so it's modern, bike - represents a new way to reach Villa Park (or the new mega stadium!) in order to ease congestion issues.

TBH I was mainly trying to challenge ChatGPT to see what the craziest thing was that it could make. 

Suggestions welcome, and I'll see what it can do!

24 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

TBH I was mainly trying to challenge ChatGPT to see what the craziest thing was that it could make. 

Suggestions welcome, and I'll see what it can do!

Can you ask it to create a Villa badge with Cris Heck's face on it and the words "This is my shit Villa badge"?

Edited by fightoffyour

40 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Can you ask it to create a Villa badge with Cris Heck's face on it and the words "This is my shit Villa badge"?

With "Co**Su**er" instead of Prepared?

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Erm.  Not sure a three-legged, two-armed lion is the way to go...

AI innit.

Everyone knows I was not being serious right? I'm starting to get paranoid now.

• Haha 2

Â