Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

6 hours ago, brommy said:

Governments leak possible future policy to see how much pushback is generated. It's possible Heck and co. did similar.

IF those who don't like either/or the star and 1874, acknowledge the majority of fans surveyed wanted them, and we acknowledge that the round badge wasn't working as good brand recognition amongst all the other current round badges in top level football, do we think that the recent images showing a gold (not yellow) lion on a shield are decent and at least acceptable?

They wouldn't register a new crest as a trademark if it was just some sort of feasibility study to see how people react. They also won't be using a badge that they haven't registered as a trademark.

12 minutes ago, Risso said:

They wouldn't register a new crest as a trademark if it was just some sort of feasibility study to see how people react. They also won't be using a badge that they haven't registered as a trademark.

So is it definitely going to be the crest with the plain yellow lion with drop shadow and the subsequent chat about the images showing a somewhat improved crest with the detailed gold lion have been pointless?

1 hour ago, brommy said:

So is it definitely going to be the crest with the plain yellow lion with drop shadow and the subsequent chat about the images showing a somewhat improved crest with the detailed gold lion have been pointless?

In my opinion, exactly that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Risso said:

In my opinion, exactly that.

You're probably correct.

I really was hoping the recent 'gold lion' crest images were legit as I think they're just on the right side of acceptable. Still, there's bugger all I can do about it so unless it's embarrassingly bad like the leeeedz 'chesty cough' debacle, I'll put up and shut up about it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Risso said:

Why wouldn't they?  I mean if the feasibility study came back and said that everyone loved it - then surely they wouldn't want to risk another entity from trying to register it, or something very similar, first which could then cause them a whole load of pain / money to redress? 

I also assume that any trademark protects against anything that closely resembles the design protected rather than just exact matches - i.e. you can't get round a trademark by just adding a small detail and claiming it as your "design", surely, you'd have to demonstrate enough design divergence to "prove" that you've not nicked someone else's idea and just made a slight tweak.  I think there have been lots of cases where big firms have been able to sue companies that have effectively copied their "brand" because it has been ruled that there were insufficient differences in the design and it could lead to confusion with consumers.  If that is the case then it would seem (to me) that you would want the trademarked image to be fairly unclear and "imprecise" as it reduces the number of elements that someone can change subtly to knock off a "fake" version?

Happy to be corrected on any of this by someone who has more knowledge of the process / legal protection of trademarks.

7 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I'm amazed at the positive reception for that detailed Lion badge. It's hideous. I haven't seen a single design, leak or fan mockup that I've liked. I prefer the old AVFC one to any since.

Yeah, I’m just starting to wish the whole process wasn’t started. I presume the club have put the announcement on hold either due to the hostile reception or whilst  the PL/FA investigate whether we followed due process. The silence is now deafening.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I generally don’t get any ITK but I have heard something from somebody close to the situation.

Apparently the delay is due to Heck’s young child being back at school and unable to make slight changes to the badge at the moment because it’s past their bed time once they have finished their homework so any changes will be done at half term.

#OnBrand

Wow, that's brilliant, Nick. Have you ever considered writing for James Corden?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Wow, that's brilliant, Nick. Have you ever considered writing for James Corden?

Thanks, it’s just a gift I’ve had all my life.  Some people have to work for it but it just comes naturally to me.  I’m blessed.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I generally don’t get any ITK but I have heard something from somebody close to the situation.

Apparently the delay is due to Heck’s young child being back at school and unable to make slight changes to the badge at the moment because it’s past their bed time once they have finished their homework so any changes will be done at half term.

#OnBrand

spacer.png

spacer.png

(there she is)

• Haha 1

I just want some actual information now, bloody fed up of this.

Then we can give whatever that is the reaction it deserves 😆

Weird of the club to stay quiet on this after all the fuss… can only guess what the reason for this delay is, maybe the complaint to FA.

Some sort of update would be welcome…

Just now, Jas10 said:

I just want some actual information now, bloody fed up of this.

Then we can give whatever that is the reaction it deserves 😆

Weird of the club to stay quiet on this after all the fuss… can only guess what the reason for this delay is, maybe the complaint to FA.

Some sort of update would be welcome…

Or waiting for half term 😉😂

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Yeah, I’m just starting to wish the whole process wasn’t started. I presume the club have put the announcement on hold either due to the hostile reception or whilst  the PL/FA investigate whether we followed due process. The silence is now deafening.

Didn't Heck say that a further update would be provided in a few weeks?  And that was only a month ago.  He didn't say that the announcement would be made in 1 week, 2 weeks or after Christmas.  So at the moment I don't even know whether it is true that an announcement has been put "on hold".  Maybe the club aren't responding to the "hostile reception" because they know that it is based on assumptions that are wide of the mark.  After all the club don't feel the need to respond to every transfer rumour that appears in the media / on social media (quite rightly).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, allani said:

Didn't Heck say that a further update would be provided in a few weeks?  And that was only a month ago.  He didn't say that the announcement would be made in 1 week, 2 weeks or after Christmas.  So at the moment I don't even know whether it is true that an announcement has been put "on hold".  Maybe the club aren't responding to the "hostile reception" because they know that it is based on assumptions that are wide of the mark.  After all the club don't feel the need to respond to every transfer rumour that appears in the media / on social media (quite rightly).

He did. He was quoted in his last update (mid-to-late December) as saying the announcement would be in a couple of weeks.

34 minutes ago, est1874 said:

He did. He was quoted in his last update (mid-to-late December) as saying the announcement would be in a couple of weeks.

Except that, as far as I am aware, that isn't what he said.  The only direct quote I can find is this one (published on 19th Dec):

“The hope is that the crest will be shown to all fans when it will be complete this winter. I expect that to be in a few weeks. I am very excited to see how that goes.

I will say that the crest will be on the kit come summertime. I think you will find a lot of interesting new aspects to the kit come summer, including maybe the 150th marque."

There is nothing in that quote that would suggest that the plan / hope has changed in any way or that an announcement has been put "on hold".  This winter covers until at least the end of February.  A few weeks would fit a similar type of timeframe - certainly not that we would have an announcement with two weeks.  He also says that it is a "hope" rather than a definite plan.  I mean we can argue all day about the exact semantics and whether he is being clever with words.  But he most definitely does not say (or even imply) in that interview that there would be announcement in a couple of weeks.  Obviously if there is another quote that I've missed then that would / could put a very different perspective on things.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, allani said:

Except that, as far as I am aware, that isn't what he said.  The only direct quote I can find is this one (published on 19th Dec):

“The hope is that the crest will be shown to all fans when it will be complete this winter. I expect that to be in a few weeks. I am very excited to see how that goes.

I will say that the crest will be on the kit come summertime. I think you will find a lot of interesting new aspects to the kit come summer, including maybe the 150th marque."

There is nothing in that quote that would suggest that the plan / hope has changed in any way or that an announcement has been put "on hold".  This winter covers until at least the end of February.  A few weeks would fit a similar type of timeframe - certainly not that we would have an announcement with two weeks.  He also says that it is a "hope" rather than a definite plan.  I mean we can argue all day about the exact semantics and whether he is being clever with words.  But he most definitely does not say (or even imply) in that interview that there would be announcement in a couple of weeks.  Obviously if there is another quote that I've missed then that would / could put a very different perspective on things.

Looking at the semantics, a few weeks is three, maybe four if you're being generous. As it's now over 5 weeks since that comment, I think it's safe to assume something has changed and the "expectation" he had has not been met as a result of that change.

The fact they registered what they did the day they announced (and showed) to the fan group that it was ready, means that was planned to be the badge.

So the change is presumably linked to what Heck also said about it now being "with the fans to decide if they want it". My guess is the fan reaction has given him all the motive he needs to either revise it, or he's still figuring out a way to launch it that won't fall flat.

Edited by MrBlack

2 hours ago, allani said:

It was the minutes from the FAB meeting on the 20th December that said 2 weeks.

"Having now completed the detailed consultation process, the Club will look to announce the new crest in approximately two weeks from the meeting, and the crest will then be rolled out across the summer."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Â