Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

The only reason I care about the 1874 being lost (I wouldn't put it on there in the first place) is it makes the lion look like it's walking a tightrope.

Make the lion bigger, move it down, slap Aston Villa at the top, and it looks significantly better. We might just need to agree to disagree on the text location though

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It wasn't a defence of the Lerner badge. It's shit.

But this new one is worse in every way

That's what I wholeheartedly disagree with. There's nothing it doesn't do better or the same.

A quick google suggests the revamp of the lerner badge (removing the "prepared" and changing the Lion) cost the club £80k

If this has cost a similar amount then that's a hell of a lot cheaper than a complete rebrand

I remember last May the Wikipedia page for Aston Villa was updated with the new round badge and it looked so vibrant and classy. Then a week or so later somebody (the club presumably!) edited the page, returning it to the Lerner badge.

Ironic that we are having a good season with the round badge and lots of kids around the world are probably becoming familiar with us as a successful club with a round badge.

Makes this Heck shitshow even more disappointing. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

Just now, Rolta said:

That's what I wholeheartedly disagree with. There's nothing it doesn't do better or the same.

A drop shadow is not better. It doesn't fix the lack of readability. It just adds a baby's first logo design element to our badge that shouldn't be there. 

1874 shouldn't be there either. Or make it prominent. But if it's barely visible, what's it actually achieving? It's just clutter. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Rolta said:

It's the same shield with a slight curve at the top.
Same background.
Same lion but they've added a stupid shadow that looks like it's been done on MS Paint
Same star
Same colours that don't work
They've added our full name which is an improvement, but inexplicably put it at the bottom which throws the whole balance of the design off. The lion now looks squashed in at the top
They've added 1874 in a weird place which clutters it up (this was the exact reason "prepared" got removed from the old badge)
They've added a bevel to the shield. I don't think that changes much

What is it that you think is an improvement?

Edited by Stevo985

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They've added 1874 in a weird place which clutters it up (this was the exact reason "prepared" got removed from the old badge)

The more I think about this the more I realise how much this new badge resembles the original Lerner badge.

The smaller lion coupled with the 1874 cluttering up the bottom is very similar

580b57fcd9996e24bc43c4e4.pngaston%20villa%20new%20logo%20(1).png

Such a step back

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A quick google suggests the revamp of the lerner badge (removing the "prepared" and changing the Lion) cost the club £80k

If this has cost a similar amount then that's a hell of a lot cheaper than a complete rebrand

Only if you assume we're leaving the Lerner badge up everywhere though, which would be pathetic really.

Doesn't bode well for their intentions if they're penny pinching on the rebrand to this extent, and ignores the money they pissed up the wall on the round badge

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Only if you assume we're leaving the Lerner badge up everywhere though, which would be pathetic really.

Presumably they had to change all those badges when they refreshed the Lerner badge though.

A rebrand involves more than just swapping badges. Colours, copy, fonts, logos, presentations, uniforms etc et, they all have to change with a rebrand. 
A lot of those can stay more or less the same with an "evolution"

The yellow on blue is the main problem. Look at all the fan created badges, all the good ones don't have that. If it's a blue background it has to be a claret lion

• Like 3

Bit surprised that we are making a badge that is more cluttered when a lot of clubs have been going the opposite direction. Having both the star, 1874 & Aston Villa on it along with the lion feels like a lot. Very much the Yngwie Malmsteen approach of "more is more". Guess Heck might be a fan.

Lion and Aston Villa is enough. Having both 1874 and then the A150U patch feels a bit "kaka på kaka" as we say in Sweden. 

Edited by sne
typo
  • Like 1

I don’t mind the border of the new badge. That’s something, I guess.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Lion and Aston Villa is enough. Having both 1974 and then the A150U patch feels a bit "kaka på kaka" as we say in Sweden. 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d70o7xjpi7rn1m671a9u

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's the same shield with a slight curve at the top. Huge improvement. If you're mocking the addition of a slight curve, then you could mock anything in design.
Same background. Same so irrelevant

Same lion but they've added a stupid shadow that looks like it's been done on MS Paint     Well, it is an improvement in a way because the lion stands out from the background.
Same star Same so irrelevant
Same colours that don't work Same, so irrelevant, but I never liked those colours. I do think it's difficult to get a really 'pinging' version of our colours into a badge though. I've rarely seen a mockup of a Villa badge where I think 'wow'.

They've added our full name which is an improvement, but inexplicably put it at the bottom which throws the whole balance of the design off. The lion now looks squashed in at the top Huge improvement—honestly, the lion being at the top doesn't 'throw off the balance of the design' at all. There is far more balance in this new design than the old one. I'm not sure balance is the word to use here anyway: there's an improvement on focus and design heirarchy. The lion and the logo is now the main focus and 'Aston Villa' is the secondary focus. There is none of the  split focus between the AVFC and the lion in the old badge. There's much nicer negative space too—I'd almost say it was a nice use of negative space. The old design is like a rammed together box of similarly sized details.

They've added 1874 in a weird place which clutters it up (this was the exact reason "prepared" got removed from the old badge) I don't mind this, but I think it's too big, but it is in balance with the star. On my version, where I made it smaller, it seems out of balance with the star. I wonder if it's there to add a bit of balance to the star.

They've added a bevel to the shield. I don't think that changes much Minor improvement—adds visual interest. There's difference between the two line weights too, which adds variety to the design.

What is it that you think is an improvement?

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The more I think about this the more I realise how much this new badge resembles the original Lerner badge.

The smaller lion coupled with the 1874 cluttering up the bottom is very similar

580b57fcd9996e24bc43c4e4.pngaston%20villa%20new%20logo%20(1).png

Such a step back

It's night and day. The new badge is clearly an evolution of the two Lerner badges, but it's so much better than both. That 1874 is nowhere near as egregious as 'Prepared'. As I said in the previous post, I wonder if it is there to balance the star. It's the same colour for a reason. It also makes it a trio of white features—the star, the year, the border. And design elements work better in odd numbers.

Edited by Rolta

32 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

aston%20villa%20new%20logo%20(1).png

Maybe they could make it in 3D and sell special edition claret and blue glasses to make the lion really "pop"?

That'll be £15 thanks.

red-cyan-apo-carda-sw_5ed55ad1-c542-40ea

Edited by sne

10 minutes ago, Rolta said:

It's night and day. The new badge is clearly an evolution of the two Lerner badges, but it's so much better than both. That 1874 is nowhere near as egregious as 'Prepared'. As I said in the previous post, I wonder if it is there to balance the star. It's the same colour for a reason. It also makes it a trio of white features—the star, the year, the border. And design elements work better in odd numbers.

White is very West Ham.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rolta said:

It's night and day. The new badge is clearly an evolution of the two Lerner badges, but it's so much better than both

Glitch in evolution then, like an elephant growing a fin on its head…useless and an eye sore.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

No word of a lie, I just flicked over to Football Focus and they were interviewing a player who had a monochrome badge on his training gear. 

I had to do a double AND triple take because I couldn't work out why this guy who I didn't recognise was wearing a black and green training top with a Villa badge on it.

Then my brain focused and I understood it was Michael Carrick of Middlesbrough being interviewed before our game. 

I've not made this up this was a genuine thought process my brain went through. 

So all this "unique" and roundel looks too much like Chelsea is utter bollocks. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

Â