Premier League 2 - U21 Development League 2023/2024

BOF

@villa4europe

Kadan Young is injured, and I think he might be out for a while as he did the thing that young players do when they have a serious injury of posting a black and white picture of themself. Hopefully nothing super serious like missing the rest of the season, but probably going to miss more than a few games judging by that post and the reactions from our other players.

• Like 1

As for today we will be doing well just to avoid an heavy defeat, trouble is all our better players are younger, many of which aren't available, either because of being on international duty, Triston Rowe, and Kellyman, injured, Kadan Young, and Patterson, or deemed not yet ready to play against first team opposition, it's comepletely different to when we were able to play the likes of Archer, Philogene, Bogarde, Iroegbunam and so on in this competition a few seasons back, doesn't matter though, main thing is the experience fro the individual players, in our first year in the tournament we lost 8-0 to Sunderland, and a number of that team went on to do very well.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

See no benefit of this. Just gets our youngsters a absolute pasting

Mad thing is they are playing most of their second string as well. 6 of them are u 21. 

We played them 2 years ago in the competition and lost then and that was with the likes of  chrisene Jaden Carney Tim and Cam. 

Unless you are pbysically big for your age , any technical ability just gets swamped by opponents strength. I cannot imagine how Teddy and Tommi are feeling in the land of giants.

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Unless you are pbysically big for your age , any technical ability just gets swamped by opponents strength. I cannot imagine how Teddy and Tommi are feeling in the land of giants.

Young Louie Barry not doing too bad? 

• Like 1

Heavy defeats for academy players all part of the learning experience, EFL Trophy games valuable because it gives them taste of what first team football is all about, for some of them that don't manage to get a loan it might be their only chance to play against first team oppostion whilst with us.

Plus we don't always lose by a big margin in this competition, it depends on things like who we're playing, and the strength of the team we're able to put out, like I'm sure if the likes of Bogarde, Kesler, Barry, Young, Patterson, Kellyman, Barber, and so on were available today, and Iroegbunam and Chrisene weren't just back from injury then we would be giving Charlton a much better game.

Also young academy sides occasionally lose by big margins when they play each other, it's not something that only happens when they in the EFL Trophy

• Like 2

Broggio on, still only sixteen, great experience for him and shows how highly he's rated by us, to be trusted against first team oppositon at such a young age.

And now Borland on too, who is even younger than Broggio

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

@villa4europe

Kadan Young is injured, and I think he might be out for a while as he did the thing that young players do when they have a serious injury of posting a black and white picture of themself. Hopefully nothing super serious like missing the rest of the season, but probably going to miss more than a few games judging by that post and the reactions from our other players.

He was walking OK on Friday so hopefully nothing too serious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Scoreline wasn't too bad in the end, especially as we only conceded two from open play, and were unlucky with a penalty ourselves. Obviously never nice to lose or concede four goals, but could have been a lot worse, before kick-off I was expecting we might lose by five or more goals.

The stats for the game make it look fairly even as well, we had more possesion, more passes, better pass accuracy, more corners, more shots, albeit they had more on target, stats can be misleading, but makes it seem they won the game because they scored their two penalties and we missed ours.

Incidently the scorer of their two penalties, Miles Leaburn, son of Carl Leaburn was linked with us in the summer

6 hours ago, villanmac said:

Just got back from the game. 2nd half they were excellent, played some brilliant football but just lacked the prescence you need in the box which is to be expected but they bossed it and were playing some really technical stuff. Lovely triangles, one twos and inventiveness to get around the Charlton midfield. First half they kept the ball well to be fair but just struggled with the off ball stuff.

Nathan Borland who came on 2nd half looked really good. Looked him up and he's only 16 signed from Celtic at 15 for over a mill. He just looked class and played some lovely stuff with O'Reilly. Broggio and Munroe were also very good coming off the bench in the 2nd half.

First time feeling very old today..seeing Stephan Moore's son playing for the Villa and scoring against Charlton. 21 years after seeing his dad score against Charlton on his Villa debut. 

I was there that evening as well 21 years ago. . Thanks for the write up on Borland. Whats he like physically? He is a box 2 box midfielder but is he a decent size already. Does he have pace and strength to go with his skill ?  I keep on imagining a bit of a mcginn dynamo.

6 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I was there that evening as well 21 years ago. . Thanks for the write up on Borland. Whats he like physically? He is a box 2 box midfielder but is he a decent size already. Does he have pace and strength to go with his skill ?  I keep on imagining a bit of a mcginn dynamo.

It was hard to gauge from the time he was on the pitch, he's thin like most of them but seemed a decent height and full of running (although the way the game was at that point 2nd half with us bossing it you didn't get to see too much box to box). More a technical type, his sharpness and quick footedness on the ball and seeing the pass meant he never really had to get into any physical battles the time he was on the pitch.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2023 at 21:02, useless said:

Scoreline wasn't too bad in the end, especially as we only conceded two from open play, and were unlucky with a penalty ourselves. Obviously never nice to lose or concede four goals, but could have been a lot worse, before kick-off I was expecting we might lose by five or more goals.

The stats for the game make it look fairly even as well, we had more possesion, more passes, better pass accuracy, more corners, more shots, albeit they had more on target, stats can be misleading, but makes it seem they won the game because they scored their two penalties and we missed ours.

Incidently the scorer of their two penalties, Miles Leaburn, son of Carl Leaburn was linked with us in the summer

Minor point but Leaburn only scored one penalty.

Â