Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Paul Tierney ref for Liverpool v Spurs..  he’s been ref 4 times for Liverpool and they’ve won all 4.

Also, no advantage for Spurs not being in Europe as they play Chelsea on Thursday, Liverpool should be well rested.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Also, no advantage for Spurs not being in Europe as they play Chelsea on Thursday, Liverpool should be well rested.

And looking to put in a big performance at home after a couple of dodgy performances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

And looking to put in a big performance at home after a couple of dodgy performances.

And looking for revenge on being robbed in the previous meeting, the Diaz "offside" goal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

And looking for revenge on being robbed in the previous meeting, the Diaz "offside" goal.

How Spurs won that game I'll never know. Even against 9 men, they should have lost.

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Itshappening.gif

Could be massive.  IF Chelsea do us a favour on Thursday and we beat Brighton on Sunday afternoon, we'll be 10 points ahead of Spurs who then have to go to Anfield in the later kick-off to get a win, huge psychological advantage that.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Could be massive.  IF Chelsea do us a favour on Thursday and we beat Brighton on Sunday afternoon, we'll be 10 points ahead of Spurs who then have to go to Anfield in the later kick-off to get a win, huge psychological advantage that.

Dukey, I am excited but also scared.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'll be watching Spuds on the coach on the way back after beating Brighton and celebrating when we get 4th on Sunday. I'm sticking to that

• Like 1

I think Spurs' next two games will be really open and feature a bunch of goals and it's hard to predict the results. Both Chelsea and Liverpool will likely give Spurs the space they want to create their signature move (get the ball to the wide attacker quickly who then crosses hard and low for a tap in) and I think a front three of Son left, Richarlison centre and Johnson right is a much better fit for Angeball (tm) than playing Werner left and crowbarring Son in at CF. At the same time, we've seen how vulnerable Spurs are both to counter attacks and set pieces lately. To be honest, I can see 5+ goals in both games and it's hard to say which way either will go (if Liverpool were still in the title race I'd make them heavier favourites). Fingers crossed that Chelsea play with the same intensity as they did vs us the other night and that Liverpool want to give a performance they can be proud of in Klopp's penultimate home game.

Edited by oishiiniku_uk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

I can't see Spurs getting to 70 points so I think it's sealed with 1 more win

I'm starting to feel it might be three draws actually 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

But we might play Sturm Graz, Monaco Fenerbhace and Stuttgard. Bring in another 3 players ready for first team, and we could have a week of playing say Spurs Saturday, Monaco Tuesday and Palace or Sunday. 

With a midfield of Kamara, Luiz, Rogers, McGinn, Tielemans, Ramsey, Buendia and one more senior player, we could very realistically rotate to always have a competitive side. 

I think there is no such thing as being 'ready' for CL football. What does that even mean? Having a CL worthy team for 3 years before you qualify for it?

I think there is a strong argument to say Watkins playing in Madrid on Tuesday will be even more fired up to score goals against Wolves at the weekend. 

I say bring it on. 

Yes but Kamara will be out until new year realistically. We've Luiz, McGinn and Tielemans of the level required in CM. We need a bigger squad and it's difficult to afford it. The 70% squad cost rule artificially constrains us Vs teams not in Europe who don't have as many games to play like Palace or West Ham or Brighton. 

It's difficult to compete in the level we are at the moment when the rules come into force. Next year 2025 we have to comply with the 70% rule in Europe. This year it's the 80% rule. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They did indeed. Amazing achievement. They did however finish 7th in the league so I think fans will need to accept it’s going to impact our league placing

I think most level headed fans will be able to handle this.

However let’s just get there first. 

Part of the genius of Unai is how we've handled it this season. We've played about 50 more games than Spurs and a few more than Utd/Chelsea/Newcastle and yet we are ahead of all of them in the league.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yes but Kamara will be out until new year realistically. We've Luiz, McGinn and Tielemans of the level required in CM. We need a bigger squad and it's difficult to afford it. The 70% squad cost rule artificially constrains us Vs teams not in Europe who don't have as many games to play like Palace or West Ham or Brighton. 

It's difficult to compete in the level we are at the moment when the rules come into force. Next year 2025 we have to comply with the 70% rule in Europe. This year it's the 80% rule. 

Emery and Monchi will find a way, can see some more academy sales with buy back clauses and hopefully shift the deadwood.  But have a feeling we might see at least one "first team" player go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There will be challenges - but to people who say "we are not ready" (and I'm not saying that necessarily you) when would we be ready?

What is ready? 

I repeat myself, but is it 3 seasons of not playing CL and building a CL level squad? Because that doesn't happen. Is Porto CL ready? Is Fenerbahce CL ready? Maybe Prague? Were spurs ready when they reached the final? 

Are we not a better team than spurs in that season?

Is Girona ready? 

We are not a Bayern or Madrid. We likely won't be for some time. 

We need to get in, get some good transfers and results, and see what happens the next year. And the year after. 

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

There will be challenges - but to people who say "we are not ready" (and I'm not saying that necessarily you) when would we be ready?

What is ready? 

I repeat myself, but is it 3 seasons of not playing CL and building a CL level squad? Because that doesn't happen. Is Porto CL ready? Is Fenerbahce CL ready? Maybe Prague? Were spurs ready when they reached the final? 

Are we not a better team than spurs in that season?

Is Girona ready? 

We are not a Bayern or Madrid. We likely won't be for some time. 

We need to get in, get some good transfers and results, and see what happens the next year. And the year after. 

It is an interesting chain of events. Established teams like Bayern can attract top talent as they're likely to win leagues and challenge for top honours.

Up and comers could, previously, throw money at top talent players and managers (Chelsea and Man City)

Now, up and comers like us and Newcastle have to qualify for the CL before being able to attract CL level players - we can't throw money at it so it's real last minute squad assembly (or refinement) once the ambition and calibre of the club is shown. Even then, there are restrictions and top players coming is not a given.

It's knife edge stuff. Seems the only good time is whenever the opportunity arises.