Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

27 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I’d take CL. We’d be financially much better off and I’d hope it’ll catapult us into the elite club bracket in a few years. 

It won't though. Elite clubs budget for being in the Champions League every season and we won't be able to do that. We could be just like like Newcastle where it's a once off and we are back fighting for a Europa league place or worse. 

The main advantage to being in the CL next season would be getting four away trips to some of the great football grounds in Europe. 

8 hours ago, Tayls said:

Personally for me, being born just before the 90s, I haven’t grown up seeing us win trophies and certainly haven’t been to any parades. So it’s not something I know, or need to experience (Actually seeing that West Ham picture gives me anxiety with those crowds but that’s another issue). If we were to win the ECL, I’d be straight to thinking how can we improve next year to get to where the big clubs are. And I will think that right up to the champions league… if we win that, then I’ll probably become an emotional wreck. 

Im really sorry but I just can’t get excited about winning a third tier competition. It’s not the pinnacle. 

Again though, that’s not to say I wouldn’t be delighted with winning it. But I’d just be thinking that we need to reach the next level now.  

You're just trolling at this point. No real fan feels like this or ever could do.

• Like 3

Everyone challenging for the top 4 is what makes the premier league popular, we need to keep it competitive and that's why man City are such a threat to it all, they are boring cheats. Spoilt kids.

We are favourites this week, next week who knows.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It won't though. Elite clubs budget for being in the Champions League every season and we won't be able to do that. We could be just like like Newcastle where it's a once off and we are back fighting for a Europa league place or worse. 

The main advantage to being in the CL next season would be getting four away trips to some of the great football grounds in Europe. 

This is a crux of the problem. Some fans on here seem to think that one season in the CL is a golden ticket to the promised land, an exclusive club that once you're in, you're a member for life. The delusion is off the charts.

Hundreds of pages of people rambling on about coefficients and people saying they don't want to win trophies. This thread should nuked for everyone's sake.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

The UECL is cute little tournament, but it has no history or prestige. It was invented in 2021.

It might not be now, but it could be in 50 years time and hopefully our name will be the third one written on it. Was the UEFA cup prestigious in 1974 in its third year? Or the European Cup in 1958? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

One season in the Champions League would change nothing at all and would by no means guarantee we will be in it year after year, thereafter. 

Not sure I agree with you. 

1 season in the champions league would mean:

• A better chance to keep our best players 
  • A better chance to attract better players 
  • Some global exposure 
  • More money
  • A great experience for fans

And that's all a big change on this season 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Not sure I agree with you. 

1 season in the champions league would mean:

• A better chance to keep our best players 
  • A better chance to attract better players 
  • Some global exposure 
  • More money
  • A great experience for fans

And that's all a big change on this season 

That is all good for one season, yeah. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I agree.

One season in CL won't do anything.

Sustained success is what you have to do.

which you can't have until you take that first step, which can start with next season in the champions league

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

which you can't have until you take that first step, which can start with next season in the champions league

I totally agree! All I am saying is that one season in the Champions League doesn't equal sustained success and finishing in the top 4 every year thereafter.

Newcastle the latest example of that. 

• Like 1

Totally get those that would rather have the conference over top 4 but it reminds me a bit of the Stanford Marshmallow experiment. 

I’m happy to hold off celebrating a conference league for future success.  

But we’ll do both anyway so it doesn’t matter.

I’m genuinely torn as to whether I’d prefer to see new European silverware in the cabinet, or a certificate for participating in the Champions League.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

Of course but consecutive top 4 finishes has proven to be extremely difficult for non established top 4 clubs.

Newcastle and Leicester being he most recent of examples.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The coefficient crap has ruined a lot of fun of this season, our best season in nearly 30 years.

Beat Lille and people miserable Liverpool lost. Beat Arsenal away and people now sulking Dortmund won as a trophy is not as important as being an also ran in the Champions League

I think you’re overstating it. Most people don’t care that much about the whole coefficient thing and are delighted with the season. It just feels the opposite online and normally from the same few people.

• Like 1