Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Are we less likely to finish 4th now? Confused as we're in a far better position now than 7 days ago and really all the pressure is on Spurs now to find a couple of wins from some very difficult fixtures historically for them.

I wouldnt pay attention to negativity in here, if people were right then Spurs should be 8 points ahead of us and both Chelsea and United in the middle of incredible 10 game winning runs

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Are we less likely to finish 4th now? Confused as we're in a far better position now than 7 days ago and really all the pressure is on Spurs now to find a couple of wins from some very difficult fixtures historically for them.

It’s not really about that currently because 4th is something we can sort of control. It’s more the fact that the PL is now unlikely to get another champs league spot based on results from tonight’s Dortmund v Atleti game. 

Just now, Tayls said:

It’s not really about that currently because 4th is something we can sort of control. It’s more the fact that the PL is now unlikely to get another champs league spot based on results from tonight’s Dortmund v Atleti game. 

If PL doesn't get 5th spot it will more likely be result of Arsenal and Liverpool going out this round, not Dortmund going through. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

If PL doesn't get 5th spot it will more likely be result of Arsenal and Liverpool going out this round, not Dortmund going through. 

Well it will be both German teams going through. Arsenal & Liverpool going out wouldn’t help. (I think Bayern will beat Arsenal tomorrow). 

Edited by Tayls

21 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Winning a trophy would be lovely and all but as a business, we need to be playing on the big stage.

I'm ashamed that any of our fans could say something like this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

I have said all season I think we will finish 5th, but 5th will get CL.

I now think 5th will not get CL… but I think we have a good shot at 4th.

So don’t listen to me basically.

Hang on, wouldn't not listening to you now also be listening to you? You've put us all in a bit of a bind

23 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I'm ashamed that any of our fans could say something like this.

Play in the best competition in club football against the best sides… or win a third level European competition that’s for teams finishing 6th, 7th or 8th in their leagues and has teams knocked out of the competition above it which can enter at a late stage… 

I stand by my decision I’m afraid. Champions League over winning ECL

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

Just now, Tayls said:

Play in the best competition in club football against the best sides… or win a third level European competition that’s for teams finishing 6th, 7th or 8th in their leagues and has teams knocked out of the competition above it which can enter at a late stage… 

I stand by my decision I’m afraid. 

In ten years time I’m not gonna give a shit we played Young Boys FC and Leverkusen but I will remember watching the boys on their trophy parade across town with my son.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I stand by my decision I’m afraid. Champions league over winning ECL 

You can stand by it all you like. It doesnt change the fact that having a viewpoint like that and saying "this is a business" is a reprehensible attitude and something I would expect to hear from plastic Man Utd fans from far away lands, not Villa fans.

Edited by R.Bear
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Exactly it’s like taking away the comfort blanket of knowing ah well at least 5th gets CL

8 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I stand by my decision I’m afraid. Champions League over winning ECL

I agree 

39 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

I was banking on Dortmund getting knocked out. I knew leverkusen were going through and it’s a toss up for Bayern.

now were relying on 2 teams that drew against two massive teams and a team that is playing away with a 3 goal deficit.

god I hope arsenal win 

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

You can stand by it all you like. It doesnt change the fact that having a viewpoint like that and saying "this is a business" is a reprehensible attitude and something I would expect to hear from plastic Man Utd fans from far away lands, not Villa fans.

It’s a third tier European competition… ultimately it’s not a huge amount better than those pre season tournaments we took part in and won! 

Look, winning a trophy, is great. Good to see, something to celebrate, etc etc. But champions league is the primary competition that we need to be competing in. We need it for a whole host of reasons. It’s what’s going to push us to another level. 

I’ve just realised that we are actually arguing over Villa being in the champions league and winning a trophy for another competition. Strange times eh. 

48 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Are we more or less likely to win three more games in the league this season based on the Arsenal result? And are Spurs more or less likely to win four more games based on losing at Newcastle 4-0.

If we ride the momentum all these permutations about 5th won't matter in the slightest for us.