Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Man Utd and Newcastle still to play each other. A draw in that game would surely secure us at the very least 5th.

The Spurs run-in is brutal. Beat Bournemouth on the 21st and Chelsea on the 27th and we could be 9 points clear of them before they host Arsenal on the 28th. COULD YOU IMAGINE!

• Like 1

Personally think for top four we will need 72 points - 3 more wins. 70 points I think will come down to goal difference. 

Chelsea game for Spurs is important for me, excluding that game I see them finishing on 69 but that's the one game I struggle to predict. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayEm said:

Sheffield and Burnley is as close to a guaranteed 6 points as you can get

What happened to us then? Full strength on the back of a million home wins.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RichW said:

Chelsea game for Spurs is important for me, excluding that game I see them finishing on 69 but that's the one game I struggle to predict. 

i think the chelsea games are the swing

on paper i think we beat them and spurs lose and that's what gets us 4th but realistically with chelsea being chelsea anything can happen in those 2 games

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The highest total achieved in a 3 points for a win season I think is 92/93 - 74 points.

22 team league then though. PPG equivalent would be 67 points in a 20 team league

Edited by VillaJ100

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would love to get 75 points, but even with a pessimistic hat on I don't think Spurs are going to get to 75. 72 is a good initial target, of course if we can get more then great. 

Oh yeah I don’t think we will reach 75. But it’s a nice target to aim for.

3 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

22 team league then though. PPG equivalent would be 67 points in a 20 team league

Yeah that’s why I put the 38 game caveat in my post.

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

I think we need 10 points from the rest of the games. Bournemouth will be very hard.

Kluivert and Sinistierra went off with injuries v Man. United so if it's even 10 days they won't be available against us and they already have others like Tavernier and Semenyo out so will be less threatening on the counter than in the December game.

Solanke is in excellent form though so we'll need to be on it defensively against him.

6 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I like this trying to get to 70 point malarkey far better than trying to get 40. 

We should have tried this sooner!

Can we try and get to 100 next season please 

11 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Can we try and get to 100 next season please 

I want 100 points and 24 points…..think about it.

If Spurs are within 6 points of us come the last few games its going to be squeaky bum time as they should beat both Burnley and Sheff Utd, feels like a bonus that the city game now separates the two of them so they cant gain any momentum.

Would be nice if we could finally get a win over Liverpool at home to secure 4th and then play all the kids away at Palace on a sunny day to end the season.

10 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

If Spurs are within 6 points of us come the last few games its going to be squeaky bum time as they should beat both Burnley and Sheff Utd, feels like a bonus that the city game now separates the two of them so they cant gain any momentum.

Spurs will probably beat City but lose to one of them relegated teams knowing their volatility.  Saying that we concede 3 goals in 10 minutes to Brentford but keep out Arsenal so we are just as bad.

20 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Would be nice if we could finally get a win over Liverpool at home to secure 4th and then play all the kids away at Palace on a sunny day to end the season.

‘Selhurst Park’ and ‘Sunny’ are three words that are never together.  Every time I’ve gone there it seems to be horrible, miserable weather.

Anyway I don’t think Emery will let up even if we have secured Champions League because he’ll want to keep the first XI match fit for the Conf Final if we make it.

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

i think the chelsea games are the swing

on paper i think we beat them and spurs lose and that's what gets us 4th but realistically with chelsea being chelsea anything can happen in those 2 games

That week is going to be critical for top four. 

We play Chelsea and Brighton. Spurs play Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. We will probably have a better idea of what's going to be enough for top four after that tbh.

In an ideal world, English teams will have a good week in Europe in this week and we can head into Bournemouth game Sunday knowing a win would pretty much seal Top 5 and a very likely Champions League place. 

• Like 1