Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

5 hours ago, ben1505 said:

Nobody here have been talking about Newcastle. They’re only 13 points behind and have a favourable run in.

Tayls under multiple alias on here it seems....😉

Newcastle narrowing that gap to 10 points next weekend would actually be very good news as we need them to be beating Spurs now.

Think the crucial weekend is when we play Chelsea actually. We play that much 24 hours before they have Arsenal at home so things could change quickly again and then they go into the away double header against Chelsea and Liverpool.

I made posts last year fearing that if we got into UECL this year, that th fixture congestion would turn us into West Ham, battling for a cup and trying to avoid relegation as they were at that time.

That being said, I absolutely want UCL. And the UECL trophy. And a big damned medium rare filet, if ya got one.

In terms of the teams that can affect how Aston Villa's season finishes in the league and what we can achieve, Aston Villa are only barely the most important team involved.

What we do isn't going to be the important factor - assuming we pick up a win somewhere, it'll be about how the English teams do in Europe unless someone goes on an insane run below us.

One win in the next six games and we'll have done our bit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ben1505 said:

Nobody here have been talking about Newcastle. They’re only 13 points behind and have a favourable run in.

Well if we're doing that, Chelsea are four points behind Newcastle with two games in hand. 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In terms of the teams that can affect how Aston Villa's season finishes in the league and what we can achieve, Aston Villa are only barely the most important team involved.

What we do isn't going to be the important factor - assuming we pick up a win somewhere, it'll be about how the English teams do in Europe unless someone goes on an insane run below us.

One win in the next six games and we'll have done our bit.

Not exactly. If we finish 4th then Europe is irrelevant. Whilst I don't expect and never have expected that to happen, it is still very much in our own hands given Spurs won't win every game

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Well if we're doing that, Chelsea are four points behind Newcastle with two games in hand. 

Chelsea making UECL next year isn't insane if you look at their fixtures. Of course, it also requires them to get cohesive though they've not been all year.

I really don't want them in it though, they'd treat it like O'Neill did our last year in Europa League.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Tayls under multiple alias on here it seems....😉

Newcastle narrowing that gap to 10 points next weekend would actually be very good news as we need them to be beating Spurs now.

Think the crucial weekend is when we play Chelsea actually. We play that much 24 hours before they have Arsenal at home so things could change quickly again and then they go into the away double header against Chelsea and Liverpool.

If say Spurs win tomorrow, they then have to go to St James Park when we’re at Arsenal, which both of us could lose. Their game v City is postponed when we have Bournemouth. So before we play Chelsea and them Arsenal we could be three points ahead of them.

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I haven’t ruled Chelsea out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

60 points was enough for 5th in 3 of the last 4 seasons

Wow didn’t know this! I guess the issue this season is that the bottom teams aren’t picking up as many points, so there is a few more points for the top half teams…

The way I see it, Man Utd are 12 behind and have a much worse goal difference. Even if we only won 1 more game, Man Utd would need to win 5 of their remaining 8 games to be level with us, and then either have the goal difference swing in their favour or pick up another point or win from one of the other 3 games. It’s a huge ask for them, and again that’s on the basis we only win one of our remaining games.

Christ if they lose to Liverpool tomorrow, they would need to make up 12/13 points from us in 7 games - we would have to go the rest of the season without gaining a point for that to happen I think. Even today, when we did our very best to lose, we still managed a draw. All those saying this Villa team throw away leads, they ignore the number of times we have come back this season to draw or win.

In terms of Spurs, both we and they seem to be doing our very best to let the other have 4th. If we were to pick up 3 more wins (not impossible/unlikely), they would need to win 4 of their remaining 8 games, which I think is achievable for them, although I certainly don’t think it’s easy given their fixtures.

It will probably go down to the wire between us and Spurs for 4th/5th.

18 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

The way I see it, Man Utd are 12 behind and have a much worse goal difference. Even if we only won 1 more game, Man Utd would need to win 5 of their remaining 8 games to be level with us, and then either have the goal difference swing in their favour or pick up another point or win from one of the other 3 games. It’s a huge ask for them, and again that’s on the basis we only win one of our remaining games.

Christ if they lose to Liverpool tomorrow, they would need to make up 12/13 points from us in 7 games - we would have to go the rest of the season without gaining a point for that to happen I think. Even today, when we did our very best to lose, we still managed a draw. All those saying this Villa team throw away leads, they ignore the number of times we have come back this season to draw or win.

In terms of Spurs, both we and they seem to be doing our very best to let the other have 4th. If we were to pick up 3 more wins (not impossible/unlikely), they would need to win 4 of their remaining 8 games, which I think is achievable for them, although I certainly don’t think it’s easy given their fixtures.

It will probably go down to the wire between us and Spurs for 4th/5th.

If the lose tomorrow they’ve then got Newcastle and Arsenal at home plus Brighton away as 3 of their remaining 7 games.. m the most pessimistic person out there but it seems unlikely that they’ll even get to 60 points

I think people are selling United a bit short. It’s not impossible for them to beat Liverpool today. I think they would catch us as they still have Burnley and sheff United at home

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, grobs said:

I think people are selling United a bit short. It’s not impossible for them to beat Liverpool today. I think they would catch us as they still have Burnley and sheff United at home

I’m not counting them out until it’s mathematically impossible for them to catch us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ben1505 said:

I’m not counting them out until it’s mathematically impossible for them to catch us.

Same here. If they beat Liverpool it's definitely cause for concern. They'll be 9 behind with a game in hand, which is Sheffield, so guaranteed 3. Then for gw33 we have arsenal which we aren't going to get jack shit from, a third of the first team is out and the others are exhausted either mentally or physically or both. If they win their gw33 they're 3 behind with 5 to play. Also if they do pull out the wins they are needed and we lose a couple of games in a row that goal difference will draw much closer.

Have to hope Liverpool do what they should and absolutely crush them. That will help. Then if we can at all regroup and focus on beating Bournemouth and palace that should be enough. But team is staggering over the line.

The one positive from today is at least they showed enough fight to recover a draw. But that situation shouldn't have occurred anyway. We've really gone life or death with the most trash teams in the league, lost to forest, nearly cocked up with Luton, drew with Sheffield, massive battle with Brentford home and away.

We don’t have to worry about Man Utd. Due to goal difference they now need 4 wins and a draw to pass us. 

That leaves t-h-r-e-e games of wiggle room. They literally have to win every single game left including games v Liverpool and Arsenal and hope that we lose nearly every single game remaining. It’s pretty much statistically impossible based on how both teams have played to date this season. 

Biggest issue for me a we strong mentally ?. A bit pressure on us we crumble in the space of 10 minutes all our good work is useless. To many yesterday went hiding no leadership whatsoever.

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

How did we throw in the towel? Because we played Lenglet instead of Torres and Iroegbunam instead of Tielemans? Because literally all the other would be starters who didn't feature were out through injury/illness/suspension.

And "giving yourself the best chance you can in every game" sounds nice in theory but is impossible in practice. You have to rotate - it's impossible not to do with the number of games we have.

We dropped Bailey as well, he would have started in our best 11 but was brought on late to try and rescue something from the match.

We had a few injuries and suspensions so it seems the manager essentially decided it was not going to be worth putting out our best 11 and to write off the fixture instead. 

I’m not saying I disagree with that decision but I can see arguments both ways.

There is a psychological impact of essentially ‘throwing in the towel’ and that is difficult to gage compared with the physical advantage of Bailey, Torres and Tielemans getting to play fewer minutes.