Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Next season will be the issue even if we make CL.

I'm amazed at the confidence in people thinking we won't do a Newcastle.

We have FFP issues and posters seemingly o.k with us taking a -6 deduction so I don't see the flexibility in being able to attract 3-4 top level players and rotate the squad that way.

If we get a Newcastle type group then we'll be playing a big hitter away on the Wednesday and then possibly playing a Spurs away on the Saturday.

We basically played the first half today dead on our feet and frightened to concede any space so they'll be loads more games like that next season if the fixture list isn't kind as it was in the first half of the season playing bottom half teams at VP straight after europa matches.

What's your point though? Do you think we expect to win CL? We just want to get there first time in history since the rebrand... 

• Like 1

Just now, villan95 said:

I'd say we need 4 wins from our last 10 to be sure and ideally I'd like 5. Our fixture list isn't the kindest but neither is United's I guess.

5 wins is insane 😂

15 points from here would mean Utd would need 24 to finish ahead of us. That’s 8 wins from 10. 

They’re not capable of that. 

This perfectly shows the magnitude of their task to overtake us. 

If Utd won 8 of their last 10 games we’d only need 15 points from 10 games to beat them. 

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Next season will be the issue even if we make CL.

I'm amazed at the confidence in people thinking we won't do a Newcastle.

We have FFP issues and posters seemingly o.k with us taking a -6 deduction so I don't see the flexibility in being able to attract 3-4 top level players and rotate the squad that way.

If we get a Newcastle type group then we'll be playing a big hitter away on the Wednesday and then possibly playing a Spurs away on the Saturday.

We basically played the first half today dead on our feet and frightened to concede any space so they'll be loads more games like that next season if the fixture list isn't kind as it was in the first half of the season playing bottom half teams at VP straight after europa matches.

Oh I'm fully expecting us to have a season like Newcastle if we get CL

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The likeliness of that happening is minute. And we’d still have 7 games left to fix it. 

Even if Utd produced title winning form for the rest of the season, like 2.2PPG, we’d only need 14 points to beat them. 

10 points from our last 10 games and 5th is ours, imo

So its not done then is it. 

Moments like today have totally derailed teams in previous years

1 minute ago, Alakagom said:

What's your point though? Do you think we expect to win CL? We just want to get there first time in history since the rebrand... 

And getting there will also massively help with finances.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I'm not disputing that, but you said the best case was 5th - it isn't, it's 4th. We're literally still in 4th, albeit Spurs have a game in hand. Personally I think we will end up finishing 5th but the best case realistic scenario is 4th. Ruling it out at this stage is ridiculous.

Same side that beat City and Arsenal in a week but somehow we are going to finish 6th. I agree that 5th feels more likely. And we are by no means out of the running for fourth. It's just much harder now. 

• Like 1

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

So its not done then is it. 

Moments like today have totally derailed teams in previous years

Well no I wasn’t being literal. It’s not mathematically done obviously. 

Technically Brentford could finish above us. 

Realistically it’s done, imo. 

Just now, villan95 said:

I'd say we need 4 wins from our last 10 to be sure and ideally I'd like 5. Our fixture list isn't the kindest but neither is United's I guess.

We should still be beating all of Wolves, Bournemouth and Brentford at VP. None will be easy but we will still have attackers on the pitch who can score 2-3 against that level of opposition.

To get 4th we need to be beating someone like Chelsea at VP now so need completely different mentality to what we produced in the cup replay when we were just refusing to mark them in the box and gifting them free shots and headers.

Also get at least a draw v Liverpool. Who knows on that as they may be out of the title race by then and concentrating on the cups.

It's a far more complicated task than an hour ago that's for sure.

Get over 70 points and Man. United simply won't be a factor.

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

Oh I'm fully expecting us to have a season like Newcastle if we get CL

Well if we don’t have major injuries to key players it shouldn’t be as bad. Also doesn’t help that Tonali has been banned the whole season.

I agree with a lot what Ange said in his pre match conference.

CL qualification is worthless if you can't keep getting there.

It isn't some golden ticket which sets you for life.

Newcastle got there one season. Can't really see that much has changed or transformed for them.

Wenger comparing top 4 to a trophy has not only conned Arsenal fans but the entire country.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Exactly. You can’t look at 3 games in isolation. You have to look at form over longer periods. 

Are you taking into account McGinn being banned and we are going to fudge a midfield together for 3 very hard games? The assumption we maintain 2 ppg is very presumptuous given the injury issues. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Well no I wasn’t being literal. It’s not mathematically done obviously. 

Technically Brentford could finish above us. 

Realistically it’s done, imo. 

I admire your confidence

1 minute ago, Alakagom said:

I think we'll be 8th-9th in the league this time next season so this forum will be an interesting place if that happens especially if we have to sell a key player in the summer.

I don't think playing one season in CL will be this transformational moment everyone thinks it will be. You need to be making it four seasons out of five and that's a very big ask.

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Are you taking into account McGinn being banned and we are going to fudge a midfield together for 3 very hard games? The assumption we maintain 2 ppg is very presumptuous given the injury issues. 

We don't need to maintain 2 ppg to stay ahead of United IMO. 1.5 ppg would very likely be enough. 

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Well if we don’t have major injuries to key players it shouldn’t be as bad. Also doesn’t help that Tonali has been banned the whole season.

We will get injuries next season just like this one. Teams simply play too many games now to expect to go through months without anyone significant getting injuries.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Indeed. I could easily see us losing 4 of our next 5 PL games tbh

If Tim is trusted to start Ajax away he should be trusted to start the West Ham and Wolves games.

Let's see how he does. He's still raw in quite a few aspects.

Man. City away is a write off regardless so don't mind McGinn missing that one.

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I agree with a lot what Ange said in his pre match conference.

CL qualification is worthless if you can't keep getting there.

It isn't some golden ticket which sets you for life.

Newcastle got there one season. Can't really see that much has changed or transformed for them.

Wenger comparing top 4 to a trophy has not only conned Arsenal fans but the entire country.

Certain players also again proving to Unai they aren’t up for the task either.