Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We did not win that game by "fine margins", behave. 

We were the better team, but at 3-2 they have a great chance and then who knows.

Same last week at Fulham, we were clearly the better team but they have a good chance chance to equalise at the end etc.

But there was jeopardy in both games, and we managed to get the job done.

It wasn’t a criticism of the team - I’m quite happy if we continue to be the better team in games and get 3 points, even if it is closer than we would like.

2 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

We were the better team, but at 3-2 they have a great chance and then who knows.

Same last week at Fulham, we were clearly the better team but they have a good chance chance to equalise at the end etc.

It wasn’t a criticism of the team - I’m quite happy if we continue to be the better team in games and get 3 points, even if it is closer than we would like.

Every game in this league is going to be tough bar maybe 2/3 teams

• Like 3

Just now, GeordieVillan said:

Pretty sure that their big chance would have been ruled out if they had scored as it looked offside to me - the reply was pretty quick so it's not certain but it looked like he was most of his upper body offside (unless there was a trailing leg somewhere along our back-line).

1 minute ago, GeordieVillan said:

Going to be plenty of these type of games in league and cup in the run in. We're playing teams fighting to stay up or get into europe in majority of our matches so can't just be expecting to stroll to 3 or 4 nil wins all the time.

Today was great as we've won, Man. United loss has pretty much killed all their momentum and we've put pressure on Spurs now to win at VP to try to keep up with us.

• Like 4

Just now, allani said:

Pretty sure that their big chance would have been ruled out if they had scored as it looked offside to me - the reply was pretty quick so it's not certain but it looked like he was most of his upper body offside (unless there was a trailing leg somewhere along our back-line).

Elanga was on, a big let off as our backline was very uncertain when to step up at those moments after losing Pau. Cash didn't step up in time and played Gibbs White on his goal.

At least we have a week to drill them at Bodymoor if Chambers is starting at Luton.

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Hinges on pau, cannot go into the next 4 or 5 games with lenglet and chambers

I would be surprised if Pau, Carlos and Konsa are all out for another month.  Pau looked fairly relaxed and comfortable on the bench rather than a player who was worried that they might be out for a few weeks (but that might just be wishful thinking).

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I would be surprised if Pau, Carlos and Konsa are all out for another month.  Pau looked fairly relaxed and comfortable on the bench rather than a player who was worried that they might be out for a few weeks (but that might just be wishful thinking).

I hope so. But this is villa - told a player is out for 2 weeks, which turns to 4, then 6 and so on

• Like 1

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

I hope so. But this is villa - told a player is out for 2 weeks, which turns to 4, then 6 and so on

Emery's quote (on the Pau thread) seems pretty positive - definitely sounds like it was more precautionary rather than a definite injury.  Fingers, toes and nuts crossed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Top 4 will be circa 70 points. Fifth place is not guaranteed so no point planning on that. 

Brighton can do us a big favour (or not) in that respect.

We will win some more and lose some more.

But people need to stop bedwetting everything we lose a football game acting like it's season ending.

Newcastle and Man Utd games was never season defining games. So many more points left to play for

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Top 4 will be circa 70 points. Fifth place is not guaranteed so no point planning on that. 

Even so, if we draw with spurs, I can't see them getting 70 points? They play Newcastle away, City and Arsenal in their last 3 games. They might only get 12 points from the rest, plus one for a draw with us would leave them on 63 points I think...