Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

20 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Just one I think - we're the highest unseeded team, so one of those 2 happening bumps us up into the seeded teams. Or a shock in the early qualifying rounds

No the Mitjyland one is to not push us down another place…. BOTH need to happen, as I understand it

8 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

If Fenerbahce win the Turkish cup final we will be seeded, and that is quite a likely event. 11th of June that is.

Not if Mitjyland win next week. That would bump us down 1 place

• Like 1

Confirmed there a few minutes ago that Viborg have finished in 4th spot in Denmark and will face Midtjylland next Friday evening at 17:00.

We need a Viborg victory in that one along with Fenerbahce beating Istanbul Basaksehir next Sunday.

I like to think that all the other teams who get into the play offs will be thinking "crap, I hope we don't get Villa in the draw, they've been amazing this season and will tear us to shreds!" Whether that is Juventus, Leverkusen or any other team that we might come up against. Under Emery there isn't a team in that competition we couldn't beat with our current squad, let alone after he gets to make any transfers he can this summer.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Osasuna have won and finished 7th. That’s good for us, right? 

Doesn't make a difference, as they're ranked lower than us (as all the Spanish teams in the race were). As said above when my earlier post was corrected, to be sure of being seeded we need FC Midtjylland to lose to Viborg (9th June) as they'd be ranked higher than us and Fenerbahce to beat Basekshir in the Turkish Cup final (11th June).

If one of those things doesnt happen then we're relying on a shock (or two shocks if Midtjylland win) in the qualifying rounds, and looking at the difference in quality in those rounds I think we'd be fortunate to see one.

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 2

Worth pointing out as well that those teams you see in the Twitter graphics aren't the only teams - there'll be teams dropping in from Europa League qualifying as well as teams progressing from Conference League Qualifying Rounds 1, 2 and 3.

I may well be wrong, but I think we aren't guaranteed to get a seeded team, just that the seeded teams can't play each other - we could still get some Kazakhstani farmers or some Armenian postmen. We'd need a bit of luck, but if we don't get it then I'd fancy us against most of the seeded teams apart from Juve and Frankfurt. We might get a tricky one like AZ, Brugge or Fenerbahce but they'd be winnable.

As pointed out above, Im not sure how many of those seeded teams would fancy playing us.

11 hours ago, cyrusr said:

There are only technically 2 teams that are definitely qualifying for the play off round that are ahead of us.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying, I'm pretty sure this isn't right, it's 8 teams that will be ahead of us in the seeding no matter what:

Lille

Frankfurt

Qualifier from Italy

Loser of Europa League qualifier involving Olympiacos

Loser of Europa League qualifier involving Slavia Prague

Winner of Conference 3rd round qualifier involving AZ

Winner of Conference 3rd round qualifier involving Partizan

Winner of Conference 3rd round qualifier involving Dynamo Kyiv

Then there are 10 further teams that could push us down the seeding rankings if they get past the 2nd qualifying round:

Plzen

Maccabi Tel Aviv

PAOK

Cluj

Fenerbahce

Gent

Basel

Club Brugge

Basaksehir

Midtjylland

The last two teams listed might still not qualify for the competition at all, in which case we'd be guaranteed the last seeded spot in the play offs.

15 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Loser of Europa League qualifier involving Olympiacos

Loser of Europa League qualifier involving Slavia Prague

Winner of Conference 3rd round qualifier involving AZ

Winner of Conference 3rd round qualifier involving Partizan

Winner of Conference 3rd round qualifier involving Dynamo Kyiv

Don’t these depend on who does qualify and what coefficient those teams have?

So if say someone beats Slavia Prague then it’s that winnings teams coefficient that counts?

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Don’t these depend on who does qualify and what coefficient those teams have?

So if say someone beats Slavia Prague then it’s that winnings teams coefficient that counts?

I don't believe so, because the play off draw occurs before the previous EL and ECL rounds have been concluded and so the coefficient of the highest ranked team in the fixture is used in the draw.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Im literally not bothered if we seeded or not. To win it you have to play the best teams.

Same here, and it’s way to complicated to worry about all the different permutations right now. 

With Emery as our manager, I don’t think we should fear anyone in this competition. Equally we should always remember Stevenage and respect our opponents. So I don’t believe in playing a weakened team whoever we draw. This will hopefully be a good run, and do some good to our co-efficient going forward.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

Same here, and it’s way to complicated to worry about all the different permutations right now. 

With Emery as our manager, I don’t think we should fear anyone in this competition. Equally we should always remember Stevenage and respect our opponents. So I don’t believe in playing a weakened team whoever we draw. This will hopefully be a good run, and do some good to our co-efficient going forward.

My thoughts exactly neil well said. 

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im literally not bothered if we seeded or not. To win it you have to play the best teams.

I'd rather minimise the risk of not making the group stage by having an easier draw, given it's our first European fixture in a while and will be the first for a number of players in the squad. We can settle into the competition and beat the best teams later.

• Like 1