Those are some nice balls ... (a ball thread)

Marka Ragnos

7 minutes ago, Giro said:

That was the one featured in "The Cage" with a little less conversation on. Good times 

I remember in the 'tournament' or whatever it was Roberto Carlos scores a goal with his left foot with outside curl, me and my mates spent ages trying to replicate it but A. None of us were left footed and B. We were all 13 yr old weaklings so could only rarely get the power required

• Like 1

12 hours ago, May-Z said:

No ball will ever beat 

download (9).jpeg

There was a lad on my street who was about 3/4 years older than us had an amazing left peg. Used to make us stand in goal and from just behind the half way line used to rifle it in top corner. And when we did get our hands on it a trip to A+E we went. This ball brings back bad memories 😂.

• Like 1

I cant find a picture of it, but Select had a 80s version of the Brilliant Super which I had a perfect free-kick for. You could really clearing in the woods that one hard and get a missile trajectory.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, S-Platt said:

image.png.1e969799f4b08ac33b11828b4ef0bda4.png

This beauty for me from The Prem era.

Obscure fact, the first premier League goal scored using that ball was by the late Peter whittingham in our 3-0 win against Portsmouth at villa park

We were the early kick off this first time the ball was used, had a season ticket at the time

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I didn't realise that the balls used in professional matches are different from the ones I see kids kicking around in the local park. 

Does the ball make that much of a difference? 

I don't know what the exact difference is but the ones used in the Premier League are rock solid, you wouldn't want to head one of them. It's no wonder they want to limit heading in training these days.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Tsk !! You kids know nothing ! Along with 1970 adidas black and white world cup ball, this  mitre badboy was a thing of beauty as it rotated in 1980 :

Screenshot_20230411_092350_Chrome.jpg

In awe ...

8 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Obscure fact, the first premier League goal scored using that ball was by the late Peter whittingham in our 3-0 win against Portsmouth at villa park

We were the early kick off this first time the ball was used, had a season ticket at the time

So fluid! This was us?????

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/04/2023 at 19:11, Jimzk5 said:

I was at that game. We were sat low in the Trinity by the corner with the Holte and basically saw sod all. It was like all the action in the game happened at exactly the wrong angle to see anything.

I was wearing the white Hummel shirt we had, and to get the day off a great start had a burger from a van on the way to Villa Park, squirted some tomato sauce on it and ended up with sauce completely missing the burger and hitting my shirt perfectly dead centre. So I had to wear a hoodie over it anyway. I may as well have not bothered.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I was at that game. We were sat low in the Trinity by the corner with the Holte and basically saw sod all. It was like all the action in the game happened at exactly the wrong angle to see anything.

I was wearing the white Hummel shirt we had, and to get the day off a great start had a burger from a van on the way to Villa Park, squirted some tomato sauce on it and ended up with sauce completely missing the burger and hitting my shirt perfectly dead centre. So I had to wear a hoodie over it anyway. I may as well have not bothered.

I remember buying that shirt on the day it was released for £25 in sports direct, so cheap considering the costs now

Â