Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 minutes ago, John said:

Anyone else think that we might be back in for Tammy in January, if nothing happens with another striker in this window? That said, I would think we will look to bring in another 2 - 3 players before....

No. There's a mad obsession with our ex-players on this board. He's not the right player for us to go after for loads of reasons, him not being any good the main one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emery doesn't seem to like the old fashioned 9s. I think he likes players who can/have played across the front line so they are familiar with positional rotation as part of his attack. Torres feels perfect for that. Watkins is the perfect Emery attacker. Diaby too. 

Don’t think the names just suggested correlate with the players we have signed or may be targeting…

I’m actually surprised we haven’t been more active the the La Liga market, yet…

Easiest way to waste money is on PL “names” and overhyped, overrated, overpriced, overpaid English/British ones…

Can’t see why we employed Monchi and his network of scouts and contacts if we were going after such players…

Quality and value… high potential, I think those are the priorities…

The PL market doesn’t really provide that… unless you can pick up quality players at the end of their contracts such as Tielemans…

3 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

Gone quiet on a new goalkeeper as back up to Emi.  That is the one area I think we will invest in.

Sadly, I don’t think that’s even a consideration let alone a priority. A lot of faith is being put in Olsen it seems… hopefully he has improved under Unai and co’s tutelage…

Just now, Jas10 said:

Sadly, I don’t think that’s even a consideration let alone a priority. A lot of faith is being put in Olsen it seems… hopefully he has improved under Unai and co’s tutelage…

Well if he plays tonight and does well then fair enough I guess but I still think we are monitoring the situation.

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Looking forward to the window closing, it’s torture.

We need more… and are working on it. The squad is relatively light as is…

As Monchi has said… he wants to provide Unai with the strongest possible squad (under the circumstances and within our capacity) to be competitive in all competitions…

Not too long left now… more moves are in the pipeline…

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Emery doesn't seem to like the old fashioned 9s. I think he likes players who can/have played across the front line so they are familiar with positional rotation as part of his attack. Torres feels perfect for that. Watkins is the perfect Emery attacker. Diaby too. 

I think he does like variety and different profiles hence the reason he rates Duran who is a different type of forward to Ollie. I think the type of forwards he’s used in the past suggests he likes a “9” in the squad Alvaro Negredo who he signed twice,  Cavani, Moreno, Aubameyang for example.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Platt said:

Well if he plays tonight and does well then fair enough I guess but I still think we are monitoring the situation.

I hope you’re right… but Unai hasn’t indicated that will be the case and has praised/backed Olsen publicly… but there’s no need for him to be transparent about the situation either…

I hope Emi plays tonight… the game is too important to be taking any risks imo…

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Most of PL doesn't either. On FPL pre season for FWD position people interested in Haaland then Watkins then not many others

Edited by Kiwivillan

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I think he does like variety and different profiles hence the reason he rates Duran who is a different type of forward to Ollie. I think the type of forwards he’s used in the past suggests he likes a “9” in the squad Alvaro Negredo who he signed twice,  Cavani, Moreno, Aubameyang for example.

I’d rather we put faith in Duran than sign Tammy… 

But I’d rather we sign another top class attacker (probably a versatile one) and feel/believe we will at least try and make such a move…

• Like 2

This is not a criticism or written with intention to offend… but I don’t think the views and “desires” of many fans quite match up or relate to Unai’s (and Monchi’s)…

There is an obsession with PL or home based players too…

The ambition and intent is considerable… our sights are set quite high I believe and when we are unsuccessful with “top targets” we start working down the list…

And I don’t think players like Hudson Odoi, Sessegnon, Wan Bissaka… and many more that many fans clamour for… (including some of the recent “links” or rumours such as Adams, Abraham, Sancho????) are even on that list…

Maybe it’s just because many fans don’t watch or have much interest in football and players beyond the PL… which is understandable as a reason…

Our scope is not limited… there is a lot of talent out there, all over the world… and a fair bit of value to be had if the scouting is good enough to identify it…

44 minutes ago, villa89 said:

No. There's a mad obsession with our ex-players on this board. He's not the right player for us to go after for loads of reasons, him not being any good the main one.

35 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

No, he’s crap.

9 in goals in 54 appearances last season in (sadly) a considerably inferior league is quite abysmal…

Misses too many chances and regularly scuffs his shots… poor technique.

Never been a massive fan… feel that those who are… it’s mainly for sentimental reasons and the affect he had on us in the Championship and relationship he has with the fans.

Would be a big waste of money imo.

Thanks for both your opinions, they're a wee bit harsh in my opinion, but we all have our equally valid opinions and our obsessions. ;)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It’s wildly reported he was set to sign this summer until he got injured 

Just now, John said:

Thanks for both your opinions, they're a wee bit harsh in my opinion, but we all have our equally valid opinions and our obsessions. ;)

Sorry John… just being open, candid and honest.

It’s fine if you disagree… we are here to debate and share opinions after all. Apologies if it caused any offence or felt like an “attack”, wasn’t the intention and text can be very limiting… any apparent force or aggression in sharing such a view is just from a personal perspective…

You’re just as entitled to praise and defend such a player as I am to criticise one… 

I just feel that Unai and Monchi are more ambitious with their targets at this moment in time and hopefully going forwards too… after players that can make a real impact, improve us and fit into Unai’s style and system as well as possible.

For me, he doesn’t fit into that…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It’s wildly reported he was set to sign this summer until he got injured 

From any reputable source? Journo's just making it up or his agent trying to get him back to England could be two explanations. I don't see Emery being interested in him at all.