Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think Chelsea have found loopholes. City have committed mass financial fraud for over a decade. 

Yep… and nothing is being done about it.

Saudi/Arab involvement and influence is a problem…

Just now, Jareth said:

On that Mings news we do perhaps now need another option at CB. Monchi needs to work his magic. 

I think we should keep Pau in his favoured position… focus on the Pau and Carlos partnership (potentially elite if/when both are fit and firing, look at their track records) with Konsa to compete and cover as well as being able to fill that hybrid RB role.

Cash needs competition, far too comfortable.

Digne is a big step down from Moreno.

I’d rather we focus on full back areas than CB.

Maybe we could do with a powerhouse option in midfield.

Boost that attack too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

On that Mings news we do perhaps now need another option at CB. Monchi needs to work his magic. 

Surely Pau, Carlos, Konsa, Chambers is enough as long as there's no more injuries 😬Kamara and Dendoncker have played there before too. I'd say just a RB would do.

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

And people are baulking at the idea of selling youngsters, which is one of the main ways we can do that. 

We have to do it really… and buy back deals are very favourable…

I do think we have a bit of an obsession and over hype and over rate our youngsters… it’s been a common theme for a long time but not all that many have made that breakthrough.

If they’re good enough, they’ll be given the chances but in the meantime… go and develop elsewhere with significant game time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t want us to be amongst the biggest spenders anyway or be known for splashing the cash but we have to strengthen and recruit intelligently…

No doubt there are clubs that have an unfair advantage and are very corrupt…

But I’d like to see us be more intelligent and savvy… while bringing in genuine quality.

You just have to admire Brighton… but we can adopt an even better approach imo. Sign and I’d drift impactful, high quality players and keep them, build around them and keep progressing… our ambitions are probably higher and more “realisable” than theirs…

Our manager gives us so much hope, capacity and ability to continue improving and succeeding…

I would argue we are already doing that.  I mean how much money did we spend on our midfield and how much would those players be worth on the open market?  Sell them and our profit would be right up there with Brighton's. 

You could argue that for most positions in our team - we'd easily make a profit on Emi, Moreno, Konsa and Ollie.  Probably on Cash too.  Mings before his injury would also be on that list.  

The only area we've really struggled is around the supporting attacking players - Buendia (pre-injury), Bailey, Couts have been high value signings that we are unlikely to make a return on.  But Diaby looks like a real talent and whilst it is very early - you could see his value really increase if he has a really good season.  If the Zaniolo deal goes through that could be a similar story (but is a risk).  But compare our spending with the amount that other teams have spent in those areas with a similar level of success and it's not that bad.  Those type of players are expensive and so higher risk.  If Emery and Monchi get that right (and they are clearly looking for quality players at decent value) then we'll be sorted.

Just now, allani said:

I would argue we are already doing that.  I mean how much money did we spend on our midfield and how much would those players be worth on the open market?  Sell them and our profit would be right up there with Brighton's. 

You could argue that for most positions in our team - we'd easily make a profit on Emi, Moreno, Konsa and Ollie.  Probably on Cash too.  Mings before his injury would also be on that list.  

The only area we've really struggled is around the supporting attacking players - Buendia (pre-injury), Bailey, Couts have been high value signings that we are unlikely to make a return on.  But Diaby looks like a real talent and whilst it is very early - you could see his value really increase if he has a really good season.  If the Zaniolo deal goes through that could be a similar story (but is a risk).  But compare our spending with the amount that other teams have spent in those areas with a similar level of success and it's not that bad.  Those type of players are expensive and so higher risk.  If Emery and Monchi get that right (and they are clearly looking for quality players at decent value) then we'll be sorted.

You’re right, we do deserve some credit.

We have struggled with attacking signings as you have pointed out too though…

We have probably built the best value midfield in the league considering the outlay 😁

We’re just not the finished article and need to address some deficiencies… as highlighted in the last game 🤦‍♂️

But many teams have a stumble, upset or shock result…

Unai has shown he can recover us and move us forward… the “salvation job” he did last season was amazing… should give us a lot of hope for what he can do in this one…

• Like 1

Carlos gives us abit more physically which is what we need. CArlos and pau time 

Im not sure how we are going to rotate europe cups and league with 3 cbs (as i have serious reservations about using chambers there) not sure how good dendonker is there but id be abit worried about playing him cb

3 minutes ago, allani said:

Is there any credence… to the idea… that there has been a lot of hype, attention and “noise” associated with Brighton? More focus on them?

And that is why “big clubs” have targeted their players, manager, and spent so heavily?

Or is that complete nonsense? 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Is there any credence… to the idea… that there has been a lot of hype, attention and “noise” associated with Brighton? More focus on them?

And that is why “big clubs” have targeted their players, manager, and spent so heavily?

Or is that complete nonsense? 😂

I think there’s a bit of truth in it

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Surely Pau, Carlos, Konsa, Chambers is enough as long as there's no more injuries 😬Kamara and Dendoncker have played there before too. I'd say just a RB would do.

I’d feel a bit ill if we get any more injuries there. Probably impossible ask to get another in now but hoping monchi knows a cheap Spanish option to do a season or two. 

I can't see Carlos playing 40+ games this season with that injury he had.

Chambers is not good enough.

Were basically down to 2 and a half CB's another is desperately needed.

Edited by AshVilla

Just now, Jareth said:

I’d feel a bit ill if we get any more injuries there. Probably impossible ask to get another in now but hoping monchi knows a cheap Spanish option to do a season or two. 

Said it before but I think someone like Foyth makes a lot of sense. Played under Emery and can do the RB role exactly how he likes but could also cover CB if needed.

• Like 1

Just now, AshVilla said:

There is no way Carlos is playing 40+ games this season with that injury he had.

Chambers is not good enough.

Were basically down to 2 CB's another is desperately needed.

Yes i think those are valid points.

I'd rather do the business now as we know how hard it is to get deals in January 

1 minute ago, villan95 said:

Said it before but I think someone like Foyth makes a lot of sense. Played under Emery and can do the RB role exactly how he likes but could also cover CB if needed.

Sounds like Konsa

2 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

For me it should be a Foyth or a player of that profile - CB/RB and capable. Failing that then a loan for the season, not ideal but needs must.

The more I read about him the more it makes sense. Exactly what we need. 

• Like 1