Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, MSvillain said:

So apparently Stan Collymore has just tweeted and deleted pictures of both Felix and Lukaku (i managed to get a screenshot of the Lukaku posting).

Now replaced with a photo of 2 lions...

I have a distinct memory of Stan Collymore tweeting during the Jack saga intimating that he was staying. I doubt he knows much more than the rest of us to be honest.

• Like 2

If money was no object and you could take two of the following, which two would it be and why: Diaby, Johnson, Doku, Gnonto, Felix, Chiesa, Morgan Gibbs White, Torres, Chukwueze, Goncalves or Sancho?

I would add Williams but it looks like he is staying at Bilbao.

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Why is Faithful so hated? I have no idea…

He got started a few years back by being a fake ITK, and had a tendency to be quite aggressive towards others when called out on it. Gave up once someone DM'd him and baited him into saying that we were after Bednarek and became an aggregator (not sure why there needs to be more aggregators than Villareport, tbh). As an aggregator, he tends to use quotes very selectively (or get them outright wrong) and has a habit of using bad sources, presumably for interactions. Often he'll do it 'subtly' by quote tweeting a source he knows is complete crap and saying something along the lines of saying "This says XYZ". Can't stand him.

4 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

He got started a few years back by being a fake ITK, and had a tendency to be quite aggressive towards others when called out on it. Gave up once someone DM'd him and baited him into saying that we were after Bednarek and became an aggregator (not sure why there needs to be more aggregators than Villareport, tbh). As an aggregator, he tends to use quotes very selectively (or get them outright wrong) and has a habit of using bad sources, presumably for interactions. Often he'll do it 'subtly' by quote tweeting a source he knows is complete crap and saying something along the lines of saying "This says XYZ". Can't stand him.

Oh… had no idea…

Thought he was one of the more reasonable accounts… maybe he’s mended his ways?

Seems better than Total Villa for instance…

Edited by Jas10

3 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

If money was no object and you could take two of the following, which two would it be and why: Diaby, Johnson, Doku, Gnonto, Felix, Chiesa, Morgan Gibbs White, Torres, Chukwueze, Goncalves or Sancho?

I would add Williams but it looks like he is staying at Bilbao.

Chiesa and Felix.

Best and most talented players in that list.

And most expensive 🤣 but you said, “if money was no object…”

It would never happen.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Doku not exactly wracking up the numbers in French league what are people seeing here to rate him so highly?

Never seen him play except for Belgium. 

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Oh… had no idea…

He used to be a *lot* worse. Think he has cleaned up his act a bit now but still occasionally see the tweets where he's quote tweeting utter crap.

The sad thing is that he's still far from the worst (probably one of the best, even) of the way too many aggregators on Villa Twitter. That wooden spoon goes to AVFC The Religion, I think.

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Oh… had no idea…

Seems better than Total Villa for instance…

Most of them are as bad as each other tbh

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

He’s only 23, not a has been like Phil. There is really no comparison.

Signing players with high quality, potential and the capacity to improve and become elevated forms of themselves is a great and exciting strategy. There is no comparison.

I really do find these negative judgements of him to be irrational. Young with huge potential and quality - none of us know him, have heard from him, seen any of his interviews, read any of his comments… 

Again, there is a reason he was so sought after and rated and why Atletico splashed out on him in the first place. Problem was, it was never the right fit…

How can anyone definitively state that “he has no will to win”? Incredibly harsh and drastic…

And it can be argued, that he does have a will to win and intent to achieve something while having faith and belief in his own ability (unlike some people) if his aspirations are to compete in the CL. That doesn’t necessarily scream of arrogance… We don’t have to look it at one way, in that he’s entitled or anything…

It’s the finances that are prohibitive here… not the players ability or personality…

How much negative noise from credible sources have we really heard or read? 

Already covered it, but why are we less “forgiving” or harsh on other cases? And more keen on them? E.g. Sancho on 350k…

Anyway, I’m getting tired of talking about him. Not that realistic for us but it would be an incredible signing and I would embrace it and be genuinely excited - mainly because he is a player Unai likes and believes he can get the best out of (again, see previous quotes)…

Time to come back down to Earth…

Oops, perhaps you don't like my opinion.....However, I accept you are entitled to yours.

To me Jas there is a comparison, not on age, no.....but in terms of mercurial talent, they are both revered in certain circles, and it is debatable if they have lived up to that judgment, consistently....Particularly with Phil in latter years.

And I haven't stated definately, he has no will to win......its my opinion, of how he comes across to ME.....So you don't agree, fine.

You say, he is not the right fit at Athletico, has Simone, said that?....It could be any amount of reasons, they don't fancy him, along with PSG allegedly and I guess Chelsea too.

Its not about being harsh on some players and forgiving on others.....Its more about how you rate a player, and we all have our own reasons for doing so, and they vary, from person to person.

I accept your view, that he is only 23, but I am not sure what that means.....many players, with huge expectation, have not lived up to it.....We cannot assume an upward trajectory of improvement, just because a player is young, it can equally plateau, or decline.

Sorry, if my opinion on the player, does not match yours......but I have been wrong before, so rest easy.

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Joao Felix career was on an upward trajectory up until a year ago. He won Athletico Madrids player of the season in 21/22. He then falls out with his manager and ends up at an under achieving, temporary basket case Chelsea being managed by Frank Lampard. I therefore wouldn't judge his ability/potential going forward based on what has happened over the last 12 months. 

He is 23 years old, been playing first team football for 5 years, four of which were very much an upward trajectory. Comparisons to Coutinho are well wide of the mark as they are at completely different stages of their careers with one approaching his peak years and the other at the back end of/past theirs. 

It depends as what context you are looking at.......both are a mecurial talent, not delivering to  expectation, consistently, for varying reasons.

The comparison you call on, and another poster, is right......but that is not the only comparison, in question.