Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

"His priority is to secure a No 1 spot, not to move to become a backup goalkeeper"

Touted to the wrong club then mate.

Let’s hope so, but if Emi leaves?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

What confuses me about Villa Talk (and why I love it) is some of the directly conflicting info.

A lot of people seem to count our midfield as settled for next year - with Luiz, Kamara and McGinn.
And most people agree we need more goals.

Those 3 have a total of 6 league goals. We need a lot more than that from the midfield 3 - and can't rely scoring from corners, and Forster not saving a free kick which is pretty much in the middle of the goal.
Add to that, our defence combined has scored 3 goals - including a free kick and a deflection. More needed from there too.

I know the system we play is critical to who scores, but I think that all spots are up for grabs. As they should be. 

Not that it completely sways the argument, but you've conveniently missed out our other nailed on midfielder who has 6 goals and 5 assists in the PL this season (and should have at the very least 4 more). 

I agree that we need to step up on goals from other areas, the most glaring of which is the number 10/SS role which should be a bare minimum of 12 goals in order for us to be successful. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Not that it completely sways the argument, but you've conveniently missed out our other nailed on midfielder who has 6 goals and 5 assists in the PL this season (and should have at the very least 4 more). 

I agree that we need to step up on goals from other areas, the most glaring of which is the number 10/SS role which should be a bare minimum of 12 goals in order for us to be successful. 

I see JJ as being the left forward in the team in a 433. Agreed in a 442 (or variations) he counts, but that begs the question why the stats from elsewhere aren't close to similar.

I think that we agree that as amazing as the last few months have been - to take a proper next steps the squad which seems to defend brilliantly as a group need to start contributing similarly at the other end. 

1 minute ago, Pez1974 said:

I see JJ as being the left forward in the team in a 433. Agreed in a 442 (or variations) he counts, but that begs the question why the stats from elsewhere aren't close to similar.

I think that we agree that as amazing as the last few months have been - to take a proper next steps the squad which seems to defend brilliantly as a group need to start contributing similarly at the other end. 

We play a 4-4-2 variant and haven't played 4-3-3 at all under Emery as far as I know. 

Ramsey is most certainly a midfielder is this system, albeit one with license to attack with his driving runs. 

Could we not tempt Felix with another loan, with an option to buy, should we make CL? He’d be class in that SS role and might come now he’s seen the Chelsea grass isn’t greener. 

24 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

What confuses me about Villa Talk (and why I love it) is some of the directly conflicting info.

A lot of people seem to count our midfield as settled for next year - with Luiz, Kamara and McGinn.
And most people agree we need more goals.

Those 3 have a total of 6 league goals. We need a lot more than that from the midfield 3 - and can't rely scoring from corners, and Forster not saving a free kick which is pretty much in the middle of the goal.
Add to that, our defence combined has scored 3 goals - including a free kick and a deflection. More needed from there too.

I know the system we play is critical to who scores, but I think that all spots are up for grabs. As they should be. 

If anything we need more from the Bailey/Buendia/Countinho area

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We wouldn't be signing a random 21 year old keeper to replace him.

He's probably the most highly rated U23 keeper in the world, certainly wouldn't describe him as random.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, burchy said:

Could we not tempt Felix with another loan, with an option to buy, should we make CL? He’d be class in that SS role and might come now he’s seen the Chelsea grass isn’t greener. 

I'd love him here. Think he'd be perfect in that role behind the striker!

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He's probably the most highly rated U23 keeper in the world, certainly wouldn't describe him as random.  

Had/have no clue who he is to be honest, fair play!

This is where Europe and extended Cup runs make things a little more attractive for these types.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our lack of goals should be remedied by bringing in a good player to play the no.10 role. If we can get 10-12 goals out of this player, then we'll be a much better side.

Yeah looking at his Villarreal team, his front two both hit double figures.  Whoever partners Ollie needs to contribute the same.

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our lack of goals should be remedied by bringing in a good player to play the no.10 role. If we can get 10-12 goals out of this player, then we'll be a much better side.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ollie ended up there most of the time. No as the 10 but in the Bailey role of wide forward.

So much noise around a new striker.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Ollie ended up there most of the time. No as the 10 but in the Bailey role of wide forward.

So much noise around a new striker.

Isn’t it the wrong side for Ollie though as he tends to play on the left if anywhere up front, especially with him being right footed.

6 minutes ago, burchy said:

Isn’t it the wrong side for Ollie though as he tends to play on the left if anywhere up front, especially with him being right footed.

Yeah I agree. It's just something I can see happening at times.

He did play on the right wing for Brentford for years as well of course.

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Had/have no clue who he is to be honest, fair play!

This is where Europe and extended Cup runs make things a little more attractive for these types.

While we may not lose Emi this summer or even next, the links if true would indicate they expect to lose him at some point.  Would probably cost about £30+ so probably not worth it for a back up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

Just because we are linked with/sign a CB first, it doesn't mean money won't be spent on attack. Emery has said many times that attackers are a priority. It will happen, but not necessarily first. Signings don't happen in order of priority need and as the club said post Alemany, we have money to spend.

We don't have unlimited funds and Torres is likely to cost 40m or so. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

• Like 1