Jhon Durán

PieFacE

1 minute ago, grantholtgolazo said:

My point with Archer is it’s impossible to judge him accurately based on performance in a dire Sheffield set up. 

We’ve seen how Duran performs as a “last roll of the dice” and in the “last ten minutes against a low block”, and in my opinion there’s a fair amount of room for improvement. 

I disagree. 

Archer is a fox in the box and that’s all he is. He’ll have a decent career but football has moved on. Emery clearly made an assessment that he wasn’t good enough to stay and that’s the only assessment that really matters. Archer was also desperate for the move so didn’t necessarily want to fight for his place either. 

If anything the Sheff Utd set up should see him do better as it plays to his strengths. He’d have to show a completely different side to his game here which he may do in time but is nowhere near the required quality just yet. 

Re Duran. Yes there’s huge room for improvement because he literally just turned 20. Imagine if Louie Barry was playing upfront for us, what would are expectations be of him? 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I disagree. 

Archer is a fox in the box and that’s all he is. He’ll have a decent career but football has moved on. Emery clearly made an assessment that he wasn’t good enough to stay and that’s the only assessment that really matters. Archer was also desperate for the move so didn’t necessarily want to fight for his place either. 

If anything the Sheff Utd set up should see him do better as it plays to his strengths. He’d have to show a completely different side to his game here which he may do in time but is nowhere near the required quality just yet. 

Re Duran. Yes there’s huge room for improvement because he literally just turned 20. Imagine if Louie Barry was playing upfront for us, what would are expectations be of him? 

Fair enough, i think you’re being harsh in your assessment of Archer but I respect your opinion.

Based on what we’ve seen so far I’m not sure Duran is far enough along in his development to be ideal for his current role.

We’re not privy to all aspects of financial implication or players wishes; as a head to head choice, the decision has been made, I only hope it works out in the teams best interests.

I agree with you re Duran at the moment. It’s a very difficult one. Duran’s not ideal at the moment but could be devastating in a few years. He’s clearly not happy with lack of game time as it is so either he goes on loan or we double down on him for the rest of the season ….. which would be a brave call. The easiest option would be to just loan him out somewhere where he will play and get some very experienced cover for Ollie and then reassess in the summer. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Adman said:

I've just checked and there's no lemons in my lemonade so no excuses

I checked and didnt' see Ollie squeeze out a better performace with better service minded players around him. 

A few here overlooking this guys age - Needs vocal seniors like Mings, Konsa, McGinn to guide him at BMH. Clearly a handful off the field, it’s easy to see by how he carries himself, body language, gestures etc. Ultimately because he’s hungry to succeed at the highest level - this is a positive. 

If he were 25, I’d be concerned but he will grow out of this rumoured petulance and could be lethal for us. Madness to allow him to leave in any capacity imo.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Callum said:

A few here overlooking this guys age - Needs vocal seniors like Mings, Konsa, McGinn to guide him at BMH. Clearly a handful off the field, it’s easy to see by how he carries himself, body language, gestures etc. Ultimately because he’s hungry to succeed at the highest level - this is a positive. 

If he were 25, I’d be concerned but he will grow out of this rumoured petulance and could be lethal for us. Madness to allow him to leave in any capacity imo.

Bang on. 

Also, the brain doesn’t fully develop until most people are around 25, so there’s a lot of support, empathy and patience needed with teen's/20year olds in general….. let alone those that are professional sportsmen and have moved country and are already playing for their national team. 

Hopefully the senior pros are already guiding him and making it clear he’s won the lottery ticket by having a manager like Emery so early in his career. 

The club may also need to look at providing wider support for his family albeit im sure they are doing everything they can.

Does anyone know if his agent has any other decent players on his books? Always worries me when you have single player agents with just one meal ticket always in a players ear….

Jhon Duran has played just over 7 x 90 minutes spread over 22 matches this season. He has 4 goals, 1 assist and 5 yellow cards in all competitions this season according to transfermarkt.

Ollie Watkins has just over 24 x 90 minutes spread over 28 matches. 14 goals, 10 assists and 4 yellow cards (same source.)

He is getting limited game time but at a high level. For a young player he has already played a lot of matches before joining Villa so quality could be more important than quantity. He hasn’t always been available to play so his appearances could have been higher.

He is getting too many yellow cards.

His market value has gone up (very slightly) over his time at Villa according to transfermarkt but if he played more minutes for us in his current form it would go up more. According to transfermarkt he is the 3rd most valuable player from Colombia and 25th in the World for players born in 2003.

Conclusion: He is a good back up striker to Watkins and valuable investment for the club.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mallett said:

Jhon Duran has played just over 7 x 90 minutes spread over 22 matches this season. He has 4 goals, 1 assist and 5 yellow cards in all competitions this season according to transfermarkt.

Ollie Watkins has just over 24 x 90 minutes spread over 28 matches. 14 goals, 10 assists and 4 yellow cards (same source.)

He is getting limited game time but at a high level. For a young player he has already played a lot of matches before joining Villa so quality could be more important than quantity. He hasn’t always been available to play so his appearances could have been higher.

He is getting too many yellow cards.

His market value has gone up (very slightly) over his time at Villa according to transfermarkt but if he played more minutes for us in his current form it would go up more. According to transfermarkt he is the 3rd most valuable player from Colombia and 25th in the World for players born in 2003.

Conclusion: He is a good back up striker to Watkins and valuable investment for the club.

Yes, but he needs to want to be here. He needs to see a bright future sticking with us. Now Ollie plays all games and he's not given enough minutes (he may think).

28 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Yes, but he needs to want to be here. He needs to see a bright future sticking with us. Now Ollie plays all games and he's not given enough minutes (he may think).

Has he said he doesn't?

Yesterday was a good learning curve for him against a team that was set up to defend.

It didn't help that we were without Torres, Luiz and Tielemans because we lacked a player on the pitch who can see and execute a killer pass. Against teams that play as defensively as Boro did, we need them to make things easier. 

He's better than Archer and better suited as backup to Watkins, Archer barely ever plays as a lone striker, in our system he would be better in the second striker role that Diaby has sometimes played, notice at Preston, Middlesbrough, and now at Sheffield United he's mostly played with a strike partner. Also can't underestimate how poor Sheffield United are, they're one of the worst teams in Premier League history, that's no exaggeration, their points total at the moment is one of the worst ever after twenty games, it's not much better than the infamous Derby or relegated Villa teams' points total at this stage of the season, any striker will struggle in a side like that, frankly Archer is doing well to have three goals. The ultimate sign that he's doing okay, is that Sheffield United fans like him, and are desperate to keep him beyond this season, this is a striker who isn't scoring many goals and playing for a struggling team, would be easy for fans to dislike such a player, but the opposite is true, so he must be doing somthing right. Duran we will have to see what happens, top prospect, but many rumours of him leaving, the fact that it's Serie A giants AC Milan who want him gives an indication of how highly rated he is

18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Has he said he doesn't?

I'm not saying he has. And I'm not pushing him out at all. I'm saying he needs to have a super-bright future ahead of him here, or else he might want to go.

42 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I'm not saying he has. And I'm not pushing him out at all. I'm saying he needs to have a super-bright future ahead of him here, or else he might want to go.

What's not looking good about his future? He's shown plenty of good things but naturally has a lot to work on too - that's generally how youngsters are tbf. 

51 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apparently West Ham interested in him on loan, and originally missed out on him to us.

Antonio out injured etc 

They're loaning out Ings to Wolves aren't they....

I still think a loan to a mid table La Liga side would be interesting....somewhere like Valencia which is a young squad and where he'd get loads of minutes as they don't have many CF options. He goes there and scored 6-7 goals and returns a more rounded (and possibly more mature) player.

AC Milan link was interesting but realistically he'd just be behind Giroud in the pecking order so not much difference to here.

This is a key point in his career. It actually feels a bit like Davis in 2020 or thereabouts....needs a loan but we're petrified our main forward will get injured so he just hangs around, dosen't play much and stagnates and then a few years later wishes he'd gone out and played.

Don't want the same happening to Duran as six months back he was regularly playing in the cups and getting decent league cameos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

What's not looking good about his future? He's shown plenty of good things but naturally has a lot to work on too - that's generally how youngsters are tbf. 

His future how he sees it. He may not be satisfied, who knows.

I would say 100% that a year into joining us he'd have expected to have started a premier league match for us by now.

So we need to work something out soon where he can go to a good standard league and actually start games regularly and have that expectation of being the main man upfront.

Â