VillaTalk Deadpool 2023

Xela

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Tony Butler of BRMB gone

I was probably about 7 or 8 years old when I first started listening to the radio on a Saturday afternoon for the Villa updates and then from that got into the phone ins. He was a great character.

I am pretty sure George Gavin and Tom Ross started out alongside him before becoming a bit of a double act on BRMB then XTRA AM.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

This.

The king of sports phone ins. I even rang him up once many years ago.

Okay? Alright! On yer bike!

Just heard on Radio WM. He shows we're a must listen back in the day. Sad news. RIP Tony.

• Like 1

Jane Birkin, actress, singer, ex-wife of John Barry, ex-partner of Serge Gainsbourg mother of Charlotte Gainsbourg, activist etc etc gone at 76.

One hell of a life (not all good - the Gainsbourg relationship must have been difficult) but also hugely influential on that Gainsbourg sound and that’s on top of her own achievements in cinema and singing

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Histoire De Melody Nelson was a great album -

Would never get released today. A concept album about an illicit affair between a 35 year old man and a 15 year old girl.

Some people consider it Gainsbourg's greatest album (I don't as it happens) and one of the best French language pop music albums ever (probably true)

It is the work of a genius but Birkin rarely gets the credit for the influence she had on Gainsbourg's work during their period together (definitely his golden period)

Another for those we live in different times conversations

It's an album much lauded even to this day, I can only assume by people who don’t really know it’s subject matter because they’ve never read up on it. And for the record it is brilliant, just no his greatest imo

Other stuff about Jane Birkin…

She had a very minor part in the infamous 60s film Blow Up, it was important though because it was her nude scene that caused all the fuss and she did it because John Barry said she wouldn't dare walk on set naked.

She appears in a lot of this British Psychedelic movie of the late 60s including Wonderwall (she played Penny Lane) which was also George Harrison’s first soundtrack and I think Apple records first release (it’s got sitars all over it)

She might have sung Je t'aime but it was written for Brigitte Bardot, there was a lot of jealousy between he two but later appeared opposite Bardot as her lover in the film If Don Juan was a Woman

I think one of her parents was a WWII spy

Hermes named their iconic handbag after her in the 80s, the Birkin Bag is still hugely popular today

She was an absolutely fascinating character

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

Some people consider it Gainsbourg's greatest album (I don't as it happens) and one of the best French language pop music albums ever (probably true)

One for 'things you don't get', for me. 

I've a mate who's got everything he ever released. Leaves me cold. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

One for 'things you don't get', for me. 

I've a mate who's got everything he ever released. Leaves me cold. 

Maybe if he couldn't sing you'd like him :crylaugh: 

To be honest,as much as I think he was a genius, I think he also owed a huge debt of gratitude to Jean Claude Vannier (and indeed Birkin)

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Would never get released today. A concept album about an illicit affair between a 35 year old man and a 15 year old girl.

It is the work of a genius but Birkin rarely gets the credit for the influence she had on Gainsbourg's work during their period together (definitely his golden period)

Another for those we live in different times conversations

It's an album much lauded even to this day, I can only assume by people who don’t really know it’s subject matter because they’ve never read up on it. And for the record it is brilliant, just no his greatest imo

From a musical perspective I like it alot, I used to play Bass guitar and the rhythm is nice and funky.

Lyrically interesting, beautiful vocals, a synergy of French and English results in quite an exotic work.

I like Serge, always have. Love Aux armes et cætera too....

On the subject of controversy the story involving Les Sucettes, France Gall and Eurovision is quite a tale also.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Except he isn’t 

Neither are the people who were in a band nobody has heard of 50 years ago. At least this poor guy (RIP) has a very famous current connection.