Formula One - 2023

BOF

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Looks like lots of DRS overtakes will be on the cards

It'll be boring as **** to be fair.

But they're not interested in a good race. They just want the spectacle

• Like 1

Red Bull's Max Verstappen says this weekend's Las Vegas Grand Prix is "99% show and 1% sporting event".

The triple world champion said he is "not looking forward" to the razzmatazz around the race, the first time Formula 1 cars have raced down the city's famous Strip.

link

Its not helped by the fact the championship was wrapped up ages ago.

On 13/11/2023 at 13:12, Stevo985 said:

It'll be boring as **** to be fair.

But they're not interested in a good race. They just want the spectacle

So is pretty much every race, this one won't be much different except it will look a lot better. 

Just now, villa89 said:

Someone needs to remind Max where the money to pay his giant salary comes from...

Whilst true, a large part of an F1 weekend has always been “show”, in the last couple of years it’s getting to the point they could probably cancel the race and people wouldn’t notice. 

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

it’s getting to the point they could probably cancel the race and people wouldn’t notice. 

That's because the races are so boring but they seem more interested in adding gimmicks than fixing that obvious problem. The press Triangle to overtake the car in front of you button on the steering wheel was their last "brilliant" idea to make racing more exciting. Maybe bring back kerbs that aren't flat, run off areas that aren't tarmac and re-fuelling. That might be a start.  

20 minutes ago, villa89 said:

That's because the races are so boring but they seem more interested in adding gimmicks than fixing that obvious problem. The press Triangle to overtake the car in front of you button on the steering wheel was their last "brilliant" idea to make racing more exciting. Maybe bring back kerbs that aren't flat, run off areas that aren't tarmac and re-fuelling. That might be a start.  

Some form of Refuelling would solve a lot of the problems imo. Its the only strategic element they can add or bring back that isn't artificially influencing the races.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Someone needs to remind Max where the money to pay his giant salary comes from...

He's only saying what everyone else is, and he's right. I'm sure he's perfectly aware where his salary comes from, which is why he'll turn up and do his job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

He's only saying what everyone else is, and he's right. I'm sure he's perfectly aware where his salary comes from, which is why he'll turn up and do his job.

You could argue that attending the parties of the larger sponsors of his company is part of his job, even though it's not in his contract.

Although frankly, I can't imagine any party has ever been improved because Max has arrived.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

You could argue that attending the parties of the larger sponsors of his company is part of his job, even though it's not in his contract.

Although frankly, I can't imagine any party has ever been improved because Max has arrived.

I'd definitely argue that people don't like what Max says, because people don't like Max :) Rather than what's been said.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'd definitely argue that people don't like what Max says, because people don't like Max :) Rather than what's been said.

Yeah, I get that and there's definitely some truth in it - but I suspect part of the reason people don't like Max is that he's alway the one saying those things out loud. The others seem to have enough self awareness not to constantly whinge about every tiny inconvenience.

In the greater scheme of things "Oh, no, I have to go to a party to help justify my £700k a week job, it's such an imposition" is the sort of thing most of us would have enough sense to keep to our inner monologue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yeah, I get that and there's definitely some truth in it - but I suspect part of the reason people don't like Max is that he's alway the one saying those things out loud. The others seem to have enough self awareness not to constantly whinge about every tiny inconvenience.

In the greater scheme of things "Oh, no, I have to go to a party to help justify my £700k a week job, it's such an imposition" is the sort of thing most of us would have enough sense to keep to our inner monologue.

I reckon more people than just Max say the controversial things, but it’s news when the 3x world champion says it. 
Everything Lewis used to say and do was news… not so much now.

Edited by Genie

Oh it goes without saying that I don't want anyone getting hurt. But I will thoroughly enjoy this whole cynical experiment blowing up in their paymasters' faces at massive cost and embarrassment. I want to watch a (figurative, not literal) massive car crash where no-one actually gets hurt.

• Like 2

farcical about not dropping the penalty for Sainz.

Make up and manipulate the result of an entire F1 championship season - yes yes yes, 

agonise about no rule in the book to drop an absurd penalty for Sainz - no no no. 

Monumentally stupid sport.