Formula One - 2023

BOF

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I actually think the race yesterday was ok, especially for a Spanish GP which are usually dull as dishwasher. I think the design changes have carried on allowing closer racing.

It's just all made very boring when one driver/car is so utterly dominant.

Villatalk. I'm disappointed. Does @mjmooney not read this thread? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well at least it looks like Merc are getting back up to speed. Being able to split the Red Bulls is promising, and Max didn't win by a country mile although I appreciate he was managing to an extent. I hope it's not the beginning of Aston and Alonso falling away in the development race. Their first bad race coinciding with everyone's major upgrades. I'm not full of confidence in Aston's ability to develop a car without copying someone else. Wasn't a great race, but the weekend overall was fantastic. Busiest racing weekend of my year so far and don't think there's another one to match it.

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Perez underperforming again along with Stroll

Max will be loving the fact that his team-mate isn’t capable of taking any points off him in the best car in the grid.

On 18/06/2023 at 22:27, Farlz said:

Stroll is a shambles really but he has no reason to be worried whatsoever. He'll cost AM big time in the constructors this season. 

A better driver than Stroll and they could be challenging for 2nd in the constructors 

• Like 1

You would wonder just how badly he would have to be doing in order to get kicked out. Yes he's the son, but Lawrence is ruthless and that car is now competitive as Fernando is showing. I don't think there'll be infinite patience with him. It'll be interesting to see what would happen if an opportunity to hire a top notch driver came along.

23 minutes ago, BOF said:

You would wonder just how badly he would have to be doing in order to get kicked out. Yes he's the son, but Lawrence is ruthless and that car is now competitive as Fernando is showing. I don't think there'll be infinite patience with him. It'll be interesting to see what would happen if an opportunity to hire a top notch driver came along.

Lawrence will have enough connections in the paddock to ensure Stroll Jr. gets a drive.

Danny Ric back in the RBR with Perez at AM would be something I could forsee if that seat opened up.

9 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Lawrence will have enough connections in the paddock to ensure Stroll Jr. gets a drive.

Danny Ric back in the RBR with Perez at AM would be something I could forsee if that seat opened up.

Yeah that's possible. Well, the Perez to AM bit is anyway. It just remains to be seen whether they would regard Perez as enough of an upgrade to justify dumping Stroll.

I just can't see Lawrence ever getting rid of his son. Did he not get into the sport to basically guarantee Lance a consistent seat? As much as he probably should find a better driver, don't see it happening any time soon. 

The Perez should be dropped ideas are amusing because who exactly do you replace him with? Apart from a very small handful of drivers on the grid, every single other one gets completely obliterated by Max and even the small handful will have a tough time with it. If they go the academy route then Yuki would be smoked, he'd end up hitting a rut (just as Gasly, Albon and now Perez) which will do more harm then good and the Danny Ric idea I think is delusional unfortunately. I'd rather not have him come back to get destroyed again and finish him off for good. The only driver outside who I could see possibly jump over would be Norris but even that feels unlikely. 

Is Norris the most unlucky driver on the grid or is he actually not that good?

I admit I haven't been following as closely this season as I usually do. But every time I see a race or highlights he seems to qualify really well, seem competitive and then have incidents in the race that completely ruin his weekend.

Is it bad luck or is he making mistakes?

Ah I think he is good. McLaren seem to be having a weird situation at the moment where the car is great in qualifying and not great in racing. Maybe he's over-driving in frustration at being left behind on the Sunday. I dunno. He hasn't become a bad driver overnight.