World Cup: Matches

Genie

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Everyone on that side of the channel will be critical, but don't underestimate how good England were in back tonight. The marking was excellent. The US very rarely had players free in the final third. The US has 7 corners and never looked like scoring on any of them. England's defensive performance was good enough for a World Cup winner. The attack, on the other hand, was simply impotent.

Maguire was very good, which he won't get much credit for but it's clearly true. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I hear you. I don’t totally disagree. Just FYI. I think that’s from Telemundo  

52A839AE-65F6-4F66-B314-4CB3E30575D8.jpeg

Not a clue how they came up with that

Can't remember England creating anything in open play bar the Mount shot late in the first half

Neither team managed any kind of sustained pressure

I've been impressed with Tim Ream, he reads the game well and never seems too bothered by anything. Dest is a very interesting player. Just needs a bit more seasoning. The skill and pace of these young players is at a whole new level for USA. The future is bright, no matter what happens in Qatar. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Can't remember England creating anything in open play bar the Mount shot late in the first half

Its the odds before the game

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don’t know how the odds makers work. But that’s close to almost every assessment I heard, so it’s not just Telemundo Deportes, which is where my coverage is coming from this WC. 

I think the US was threatening several times, but, as has been said, there was a lack of composure in the box. 

33 minutes ago, grantholtgolazo said:

I’m a US fan and I feel pretty good, but it doesn’t feel like a huge win, feels like an opportunity lost. For neither team to play their best and for the US to still control large portions of the match and look the more likely to score, I wouldn’t say if they had managed a goal, a win would be underserved.

USA could have easily taken that win, had many more chances than us. Played well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

They lacked end product and a proper striker 

While that is true when you invite pressure like that anything can happen. On another day 1 of those efforts goes in. It was a bit of a stalemate for different reasons.

41 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

They had 2 clear chances, if it wasn’t for the post they’d be walking away with 3 points.

2 clear chances... wow. If it wasn't for Kane being poor with the header at the end, England would've walked away with 3 points. It doesn't mean England would've deserved the win either. It was a poor game that nobody really deserved to win. Neither created much and neither really looked like scoring. It was an all huff and no puff game and was imo the correct result, but each to their own.  

• Haha 1

It will probably be a see saw kind of performance line from some of the bigger nations until the last 16. Argentina could go from hapless flops to again being a tournament favourite if they beat Mexico impressively tomorrow night ( and i think they will ) Similarly, if England deal with Wales handily , tonight gets forgotten about. 

5 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

2 clear chances... wow. If it wasn't for Kane being poor with the header at the end, England would've walked away with 3 points. It doesn't mean England would've deserved the win either. It was a poor game that nobody really deserved to win. Neither created much and neither really looked like scoring. It was an all huff and no puff game and was imo the correct result, but each to their own.  

That's true, but we left players on the bench who could have probably caused them a lot of problems.

I'm not completely anti Sterling / Saka / Rashford, but for me they're players who belong in tough fixtures where you'll need to defend as an 11 and might get counter attacking chances. When oppo is keeping it tight, surely you want players like Foden and Grealish on the pitch, who can unlock a stacked defence.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

It will probably be a see saw kind of performance line from some of the bigger nations until the last 16. Argentina could go from hapless flops to again being a tournament favourite if they beat Mexico impressively tomorrow night ( and i think they will ) Similarly, if England deal with Wales handily , tonight gets forgotten about. 

Arg-Mex is gonna be a doozy!