Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's having to use the real depth of the squad, probably gone a bit too funky with it in the last two games.  On Wednesday I was dreading these two matches, to have thumped Ajax and then fought for a draw here is a very good effort.

It is making a mess of it but he’s good enough to recognize what was wrong. 

It’s just baffling for me that a manger of his quality is putting out lineups that are wrong on paper.

Luckily he’s done so well to afford us some room to make mistakes like that but he will need to cut it out to keep us at 4th place. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Needs to start trusting and getting the best out of Diaby again. Get back to what we was doing start of the season despite the injuries.

Players in the right positions. Firepower around Watkins. Diaby and Bailey need to both start. 

I feel like we're a bit lost atm now in formation and plans when before the system was king and players could come in and out.

Bringing Duran in away from home after barely kicking a ball in a two is truly bizarre stuff. If any other manager did that.

It's Steve Bruce stuff it really is. He'd often just pull a Davis and Kodjia or Hogan out of his arse.

Diaby and Bailey out wide left and right would give teams problems, with Watkins dropping to create space.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

He tried something which given our injuries and suspensions was understandable which didn't work out, which he sorted and we got a point.

Again, that's not "making a mess".

Also who said criticism of Emery wasn't allowed?

So essentially we are all in agreement, it’s just our choice of wording on how much we criticise our manager 😅

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

It’s just baffling for me that a manger of his quality is putting out lineups that are wrong on paper.

Luckily he’s done so well to afford us some room to make mistakes like that but he will need to cut it out to keep us at 4th place. 

I think he’s just trying to find something because most of his midfield is out in JJ, Kamara and McGinn.  

We are looking tired so a bit of fresh, young and big guys coming in against a physical away team wasnt that bad imo.  

Our defence was decimated last month, our midfield now this month.  

He was bigging up Tim after Kamara’s injury so given he’s not started obviously Tim hasn’t stepped up enough in training for Emery to pick him.

Given lack of strength in midfield with Luiz and Tielemans along with running, I guess that’s why he picked Rogers.

The only surprise for me was Duran over Diaby.  I don’t think Zaniolo had done enough to warrant a start.

Emery though saw it wasn’t working and changed it up to get the draw and another step closer to Champions League.  I would’ve liked to see how the game would’ve been different if we had of got that penalty for handball first half.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Because it's not simply a case of being wrong or not, it's a case of working or not. Just because the initial plan didn't work doesn't mean it was inherently flawed.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Farlz said:

2 league games on the bounce he's made a mess of it. I don't understand. It definitely seems as if he's trying too hard to be clever.

Today though he fixed it at half time and we looked a lot better. Yes we have injuries/suspensions but we don't need to be starting Jhon Duran ffs. 

It's not that he's trying to be too clever but he is trying out different things and I can understand why. Just because it didn't work this particular game doesn't mean its a write off for another game. It's valuable for the players too to be given a chance with something new and we're without SJM which changes the dynamic of the team alot. Game was rough but we got a crucial point.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, if McGinn and Kamare are available then neither of these "experiments" happen. birdman is right - Emery isn't trying to be too clever he's just trying to make the best out of what he's got right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Because it's not simply a case of being wrong or not, it's a case of working or not. Just because the initial plan didn't work doesn't mean it was inherently flawed.

I don’t know. I think some basics are ignored in these lineups. And I don’t even mind the midfield choice given injuries. But this insistence on playing Lenglet at RCB with no right foot then Konsa at RB where he’s been subpar for weeks now continues to be a problem. The same thing when he tried Cash at RM for multiple matches. 

This was a criticism of his Arsenal days, that he would pick weird lineups and tinker instead of trusting players in their best positions. He’s done it a lot less at Villa but two league matches in a row, he’s tinkered instead of trusting his players. 

4 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I don’t know. I think some basics are ignored in these lineups. And I don’t even mind the midfield choice given injuries. But this insistence on playing Lenglet at RCB with no right foot then Konsa at RB where he’s been subpar for weeks now continues to be a problem. The same thing when he tried Cash at RM for multiple matches. 

This was a criticism of his Arsenal days, that he would pick weird lineups and tinker instead of trusting players in their best positions. He’s done it a lot less at Villa but two league matches in a row, he’s tinkered instead of trusting his players. 

Thing is this again comes down to what he has available. I'm almost certain that if Carlos is fit he starts today instead of Lenglet.

And to be clear, the change at HT was an indicator that he also didn’t like the lineup. 

That he recognized and made the right changes is what makes him elite over the buffoons we’ve had before. 

So this isn’t a Unai lost the plot, it’s just that I think he should trust players in their best positions instead of trying to force a certain XI on the pitch. 

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Thing is this again comes down to what he has available. I'm almost certain that if Carlos is fit he starts today instead of Lenglet.

Cash-Konsa-Pau-Digne makes much more sense and looked much better. 

And I don’t think starting that back 4 is a big stretch - it’s all players in their natural positions.

It just goes back to me thinking that he needs to just put some trust in certain players and keep them in their best positions instead of trying to jigsaw a certain XI in. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I wasn't disappointed with the line up but it was obvious in the first half it wasn't working. Moreno and Rogers were being overrun and Duran could'nt get into the game at all. He switched it up and viola, a much better finish to the game, arguably the stronger of the 2 sides. 

What I was happy about was the willingness to switch it up asap, ie HT rather than letting us get to the last 20 mins so at least Unai spotted the problems and sorted them quickly. 

What he now needs to do though is sort the defence because at the moment it's seriously letting us down. For a team that looked fantastic playing the offside trap and being positionally organised we now look like a load of drunkards at the back. It's concerning now we're down to the business end of the season. 

• Like 1

We need to look at the bigger picture rather than nitpicking Unai's ideas. We're STILL sat in 4th place which by rights (and given our injury problems), we probably have no right to be. Unai has dragged us here kicking, screaming and still fighting. Its pretty incredible really. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Hearing fans thinking they have more tactical nous/insight than an established winner of a manager makes me think of the coach scene in Mike Bassett :D

Yeah it’s amusing

Â