Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Who said anything about winning the league? We might qualify for the Europa through the league.

We qualify for the europa, we have more money, we attract better players, we then have a better squad which then give us a better chance of winning a cup.

No - we must only think in extremes.  That's the modern way.  We try to win the league or we try to win the cups.  There is nothing in between, no sense of balance to be achieved, no criticality to the decision-making process (such as starting an internationally experienced and predominantly first-choice team at home to a poor side in a third round League Cup game...)

Just now, Mantis said:

Yes but those results haven't been due to the manager not taking them seriously - they've been mainly down individual errors and poor performances. Of course you could argue tactics play a part in that too but these are not clearly not games that have been tactically sacrificed in order to help the league campaign.

he played mcginn at LB tonight. he admitted making tactical error vs legia. it seems he uses cup games as a chance to experiment rather than trying to win

The experiments have been shit. There’s no denying that. We still lack depth. Certain players should absolutely be moved on, as we cannot rely on them in prem games. What’s the point in playing a player where the odds of a mistake are high? 

Lots to think about really, I’m so confused by how we are playing at the minute. 

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

he played mcginn at LB tonight. he admitted making tactical error vs legia. it seems he uses cup games as a chance to experiment rather than trying to win

I suspect he played McGinn at LB because we have only one fit LB who has played tons lately (Digne) and tactical errors do not support your argument at all, unless you think the only tactical errors Emery makes are intentional?

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I suspect he played McGinn at LB because we have only one fit LB who has played tons lately (Digne) and tactical errors do not support your argument at all, unless you think the only tactical errors Emery makes are intentional?

pau has played LB so i'd have said he's our back up LB, so mcginn being there said experiment to me...also can't remember dendonker playing CB for us before (i know he did at wolves)

anyway i'm not desperate to justify my opinion, i'm standing by it. olsen in goal will always say "i don't give a shit about this competition" to me (not that he was the problem) but it's always a sign of a manager seeing it as very low priority

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

pau has played LB so i'd have said he's our back up LB, so mcginn being there said experiment to me...also can't remember dendonker playing CB for us before (i know he did at wolves)

anyway i'm not desperate to justify my opinion, i'm standing by it. olsen in goal will always say "i don't give a shit about this competition" to me (not that he was the problem) but it's always a sign of a manager seeing it as very low priority

I agree, I think he’s sacked this one off from the start but has learned a lot from it 

1 minute ago, Zero7 said:

I agree, I think he’s sacked this one off from the start but has learned a lot from it 

He certainly wasn’t choking the air like he did during the Warsaw game. 

Don Unai giving the Holte Suite a bad name during his first game. Always looking out for the club. 

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

None of that means he didn't take it seriously though. Not taking it seriously would be doing stuff like starting Kellyman over Diaby (which personally I actually would've been fine with).

that would've been far less ridiculous than starting olsen. and i'm not picking on him, but there's a noticable change in mindset when he's on the pitch and it cannot be a coincidence. the otherwise composed defence looked so nervous tonight as they have done whenever he's played. whenever i see olsen starting, i will always think that it's a de-prioritised competition and my mind's made up on that one

7 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

The question for me is, when does he stop giving chances? And I suspect if we get into a crunch game for Conference League is where we will get an answer. 

I kinda think pretty much all the conference games now will be considered crunch games. Maybe if had it sewn up by game 4/5 we might have gone easy.

Perhaps one or two rotations at most going forwards.

In the immediate future, I reckon it will basically be a full strength team next week against Zrinjski, get us up and running, with the thought being the same players can then do a job at Wolves on the Sunday.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

8 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

The question for me is, when does he stop giving chances? And I suspect if we get into a crunch game for Conference League is where we will get an answer. 

When we buy better ones and/or ours return from injury.

I would have rested Konsa tonight, but we kinda couldn't even do that,

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Injuries to a couple of key players have made it difficult for Unai.

He is also being let down by poor performances from players who are being given games.

Unai is a hard task master and he won't want those players to remain at the club if there performances don't match his standards.

• Like 3

Â