Unai Emery

PeterSw

34 minutes ago, av1 said:

100%. There was a lot to like about yesterday’s performance, which was on the back of our first win against UTD in 27yrs and a really good performance away at the in form Brighton. 

What I liked most about yesterday was I could see a plan, a way of playing. I’m not going to use this thread to criticise others managers but it’s been a very long time since I could explain “our identity” yesterday it was clear. 

Emery is right to stick with that even if we currently have 1/2/3 players that don’t suit it because it needs to be embedded in the mindset. I just hope fans can see the long term, I’ve saw some criticism of the high line yesterday, ok maybe it was dangerous with the players we have, but he’s working to something. Liverpool maintain a style of play that got them spanked 7-2 at VP a few years ago. 

I’ve said before and I’ll say again, I think this is the most significant signing with have made in decades, he’s going to transform us. 

100% this 👍

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The tactical systems will take time to imbed within the squad. And there’s only so much coaching one can do if the players are missing critical chances or misplacing passes. With quality additions, the competition for places and the implementation of ideas will be there. The second half against Liverpool provided promise once again. I’m confident that once Unai has some quality he can trust in, we’ll start to see a more consistent team. 

I am not arguing with your reasoning.....but playing with a highline, and having defenders with questionable pace to recover long balls, is suicide against teams with accurate ball placement.

We succumbed to it against Man U, in the cup and now against Liverpool......sure, better finishing could have masked over it.....but it didn't, it was woeful and subsequently showed up the defensive issues......if you get both wrong, it don't end well, and it didn't.

No coaching manual will, remedy a lack of pace......No coaching manual, will get you to out jump a much taller man, most of the time, and no officials will come to the rescue anymore, for over zealous challenges.....so we have to act accordingly, and react accordingly.

We have issues of balance in this team, and we have done for some time.......The recruitment team has to find players, with the attributes to add to the side.....we are short in certain areas.

Edited by TRO

47 minutes ago, av1 said:

100%. There was a lot to like about yesterday’s performance, which was on the back of our first win against UTD in 27yrs and a really good performance away at the in form Brighton. 

What I liked most about yesterday was I could see a plan, a way of playing. I’m not going to use this thread to criticise others managers but it’s been a very long time since I could explain “our identity” yesterday it was clear. 

Emery is right to stick with that even if we currently have 1/2/3 players that don’t suit it because it needs to be embedded in the mindset. I just hope fans can see the long term, I’ve saw some criticism of the high line yesterday, ok maybe it was dangerous with the players we have, but he’s working to something. Liverpool maintain a style of play that got them spanked 7-2 at VP a few years ago. 

I’ve said before and I’ll say again, I think this is the most significant signing with have made in decades, he’s going to transform us. 

I hope you are right.

People saying that we got lucky playing the high line because Nunez is crap. 

Do we not think that we persisted with such a high line because Nunez is crap?

End of the day, playing like that we created enough to win, and Liverpool scored 2 from set pieces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

We won 7 games in 2 and a quarter seasons against the scum 6 and it was only City we didnt beat in that time

You’ve kind of missed the point mate. This is about competing at the top of the table and having a game plan to be able to do that. You can only do that consistently by controlling the game. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

End of the day, playing like that we created enough to win, and Liverpool scored 2 from set pieces.

and how often does that happen?....and has happened.

Unai himself said " Its not normal"

What is not normal.....is when you keep doing the same thing,  under successive managers.....(Unai hasn't had a window yet, so he gets a pass)

Its about time, we understood why, its so easy to concede, from high balls, with our squad.....maybe we can start, by questioning Buendia, marking Van Dyck.

If we don't change things in this window, we will keep doing the same things....and the same things will haunt us.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

We got buried at Southampton under Sherwood, playing the high line, how times change?

I'm not sure we ever is gonna succeed until certain people like Purslow and Lange is replaced by more competent people.

It's insane how fast Newcastle are progressing without buying superstars. Just very sensible and smart deals.

The worry for me was the lack of intensity from the off.  We showed it in the second half so why not start the game like that. This is an issue that has being going on for a long time. We lost a lot of 50/50 balls in that first half. 

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

and how often does that happen?....and has happened.

Unai himself said " Its not normal"

What is not normal.....is when you keep doing the same thing,  under successive managers.....(Unai hasn't had a window yet, so he gets a pass)

Its about time, we understood why, its so easy to concede, from high balls, with our squad.....maybe we can start, by questioning Buendia, marking Van Dyck.

If we don't change things in this window, we will keep doing the same things....and the same things will haunt us.

Well maybe, but the point was that the system of play was effective on the day, and you don't change it if it's working. 

If we replace Watkins for Ings etc, etc, that doesn't really have much influence on defending set pieces. That's purely down to organisation. I pointed out in the match thread that Buendia should not be marking Van Dijk on set plays, but to change that you don't need to change the way we play.

Also we need a new striker in the window, but again if the way we play creates chances for them, we don't need major upheavals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I'm not sure we ever is gonna succeed until certain people like Purslow and Lange is replaced by more competent people.

It's insane how fast Newcastle are progressing without buying superstars. Just very sensible and smart deals.

Maybe thats down to Eddie Howe. Hes getting the best out of an ok crop of players. Given time Emery can do the same. 

4 hours ago, Khizzy said:

We could have won that if Bailey hadn't kicked air instead of the ball twice. 

you are right, but how often have we said that?

Bailey, this time, somebody else next time, somebody else last time......Composure, is hard to instill.

We could have got something, if we had of defended better too.

Its hard to get the mentality right.

We are used to the 'big 6' teams putting us under sustained pressure and it was the first time In a while that we have been able to do that to them. Ok the result was the same but shows promise.

Once the players get used to executing emery's plans better and we replace the few who don't have the skillset to do it, then we will start causing a lot of teams problems. 

• Like 3

Just now, Made In Aston said:

We are used to the 'big 6' teams putting us under sustained pressure and it was the first time In a while that we have been able to do that to them. Ok the result was the same but shows promise.

Once the players get used to executing emery's plans better and we replace the few who don't have the skillset to do it, then we will start causing a lot of teams problems. 

This is my take. Emery is a medium to long term plan, he’s basically had to build a style with a group of players mid season - because they were not coached for 6 months.

33 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

This is my take. Emery is a medium to long term plan, he’s basically had to build a style with a group of players mid season - because they were not coached for 6 months.

We aren't too far off and to get us to this point in just 2 months is incredible. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Maybe thats down to Eddie Howe. Hes getting the best out of an ok crop of players. Given time Emery can do the same. 

Eddie Howe has round pegs in round holes and square pegs in square holes......and the blend works as a team, just how we had it in our halcyon days.

Its not rocket science, but it doesn't entail buying  similar players, just because they are good footballers....and then finding there are aspects of a game they can't master.

I hope UE can formulate a similar approach to Eddie.....I am not suggesting we sign a few cloggers, that's not what I mean.....But Newcastle do have a few units, for times of trouble, and can mix it when the going gets tough.

They do have Momentum now, which is what balanced teams, seems to muster.....I am hoping in this window, Unai can help us with more balance, and get us to win some of those, games where football alone, fails to win the points.

Its too soon to judge anything yet. He clearly wasn't happy, without throwing them under the bus.

If we are to believe Tyrone Mings, some of the players are having difficulty taking in all the info, to adhere to the gameplans.....and the game plan was abandoned, to some degree, as I understand.

These things take time....they always do.

but I will reserve judgment this time around. I accept the smart money is on, Unai getting us to win games, but without new players, I am unsure.

However, when I stop seeing some of this poor defending, I will be more convinced.

24 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Well maybe, but the point was that the system of play was effective on the day, and you don't change it if it's working. 

If we replace Watkins for Ings etc, etc, that doesn't really have much influence on defending set pieces. That's purely down to organisation. I pointed out in the match thread that Buendia should not be marking Van Dijk on set plays, but to change that you don't need to change the way we play.

Also we need a new striker in the window, but again if the way we play creates chances for them, we don't need major upheavals.

I think its hard to organise yourself, when you are being out muscled by bigger men, and being moved around.....Only Mings is able to mix it physically with them.

It creates chaos, and disorganisation....its difficult to get systems to negate that.

If the system of play was working and effective? what constituted us losing?....are you suggesting there is more to it, than just systems?

Unai intimated, the game plan was deviated from, why was that, do you think?

Mings intimated, it was just poor defending?

I seem to think, its all too familiar to me.....maybe we will do better at Spurs.

59 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

They have spent about 200 million chap??

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They have spent about 200 million chap??

It’s ridiculous how much this gets overlooked. They spent over £40m on Bruno and £65m on Isak. We will be spending for sure. But Newcastle aren’t where they are by simply getting the best out of what they have. 

Edited by The_Steve

Â