PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Interesting 

Good stats imo. 

Doesn't suffer any players not listening to his tactics or not executing. The number of times we could have been saved by an early substitute to mcginn over the last few seasons must be in the dozens. 

Maybe for an arsenal you want the consistency in formation. But some games we will very much be under the cosh and being able to change from a more aggressive 4-2-3-1 to a more defensive 4-4-2, or 4-3-3/4-5-1 is a boon if anything. And of course just fitting the system to the players you wish to play is far more beneficial than people like to give credit. 

And with Chamber, Dendoncker and Kamara being able to fluidly switch between 3 at the back and 3 in midfield is useful as all 3 of them are natural CBs and DMs. When we are defending in a low block you could slip one of them into more of the back line but as we move forward up the pitch they could step out from that back 3 and give us more attacking impetus. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Probably because he built the attack around a world class finisher?

Just now, MotoMkali said:

A player who was arguably a top 5 striker in the world at the time with Lewa, Suarez, Benzema and Kane 

Exactly, we don't have one of them.

42 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The Arsenal goal stats are inflated slightly, they relied heavily on goals from Auba.

We don't have a striker that could currently hit 20+ (Ings has one season with Southampton, but can he re-find that form?)

Release the Archer

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

Maybe that will be addressed in Jan? Emery is going to get some budget to spend, could see a couple off loaded? But the main work will be done in the summer. We dont need a full rebuild this time at least.

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

And? The fact he built a system that let his best player thrive and be the most productive striker in the prem is clearly a good thing. I don't know how anyone can say that it is a negative. 

Gerrard Moreno added like 9 Goals and Assists in his first season with Villa Real compared to the season before. 

Edit: Just some stats. In Emerys season with Arsenal Auba got 30 goals and 7 assists in about 3670 Prem and Europa league minutes. So a goal contribution every 99 minutes. The following season under arteta 25 and 3 assists in 3550 minutes. One every 127 minutes. And that's with a longer run in Europe meaning he played stronger teams as a larger proportion of his minutes. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

But my point is, he'll build the attack on the strengths of the team. When you have a world class striker, you'll build around them, when you don't, you'll set up in a different way to be most effective.

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

And? The fact he built a system that let his best player thrive and be the most productive striker in the prem is clearly a good thing. I don't know how anyone can say that it is a negative. 

Gerrard Moreno added like 9 Goals and Assists in his first season with Villa Real compared to the season before. 

And what?  I'm just pointing out the fact that Arsenal's excellent goal scoring record under Emery was in part due their phenomenal striker (and also Lacazette) There wasn't many goals in the rest of the team.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

And what?  I'm just pointing out the fact that Arsenal's excellent goal scoring record under Emery was in part due their phenomenal striker (and also Lacazette) There wasn't many goals in the rest of the team.

I mean auba only scored 22 league goals. 47 Goals in 38 games excluding your main focal point is pretty Damn good. 

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I mean auba only scored 22 league goals. 47 Goals in 38 games excluding your main focal point is pretty Damn good. 

Only? He was joint top scorer with Mane and Salah. 

Of those 47 goals 13 were from Lacazette.  Remove Auba/Lacazette goals and Arsenal scored 34 goals in 38 games. Somehow, I don't see Watkins and Ings scoring 35 goals in the league between them. So hopefully we can invest in a better striker at some point.  

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Of those 47 goals 13 were from Lacazette.  Remove Auba/Lacazette goals and Arsenal scored 34 goals in 38 games. Somehow, I don't see Watkins and Ings scoring 35 goals in the league between them. So hopefully we can invest in a better striker at some point.  

Lol. These arguments are so ridiculous. Who cares who scored however many goals? They were scored within the system Emery set up. Should we take away credit from Pep for what Haaland will end up scoring this season?

Also, if it makes you feel any better, his Villarreal reached the semi-final of the champions league with their top goal-scorer only reaching 16 last year in all competitions. Same amount Ollie scored in his first season with us.

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

What are you talking about? When you have 2 players as good as Lacazette and Auba you try to get them every shot which is why arsenal were like bottom 5 in shots per game under Emery but had a really short average shot distance and really high xG because they were doing their best to create really good shots for their 2 best players. 

And have you looked at that arsenal team who else was going to score goals? Ozil went on a strike, Mkhitaryen was a good player but was kind of done by the time he moved to arse. Then you sre talking about Xhaka, Iwobi and Aaron Ramsey.

Douglas Luiz is a better goal threat directly from corners than any of those arsenal players were overall. 

Â