Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Granted Portuguese clubs are generally fantastic at getting big money for their transfers but I doubt it would need the full release clause for us to get Amorim. 

Portugal just like Spain have stupendously high release clauses put in every contract. Quite rare that those are the actual fee players/managers move for. It happens of course but they are there because contract requires then by law.

Only two reason that sporting would lower the release clause, if they need money or they want Amorim gone. Neither is the case, so we have to pay the full €30 mill or there is no deal.

There is no way we would pay anything like 30 mill euro to get Amiron released from his contract. If he shows a desire to join us then with just 18 months left on his contract we'll negotiate a much more palatable release clause sum. I'd be amazed if we paid anymore than £15 mill to get him. 

Just now, Woody1000 said:

I feel like Amorim is my first choice, my only concern is whether he is a good choice to come in midway through a season rather than a summer deal where he gets a preseason etc.

Would definitely be a statement to pay his clause, the big question would be whether he wanted to come here?

I get your concern.

However I legit feel there are some simple common sense decisions which could see us improve straight away.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Biesla now the name being linked. Can you imagine mcginn trying to play bieslas way?

We do not have the players that could play like that

If it were Bielsa, I'd see it being something temporary till maybe WC or summer?

Just now, viivvaa66 said:

Only two reason that sporting would lower the release clause, if they need money or they want Amorim gone. Neither is the case, so we have to pay the full €30 mill or there is no deal.

If he declares to them he want's to leave I'm sure we can reach a gentlemens agreement. Will still be expensive thou. These clauses are this high to dissuade clubs from bidding (and because they are required by law). There is still room to negotiate. We might not be in the best position to do so thou since we are likely desperate.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

How is he no better than Smith when he seems to have done a better job with them in every way?

How so?

I think it's strange people suggesting Thomas Frank, not that I don't think he's a good manager, but he's been at Brentford since 2016, and manager since 2018, so had a lot of time to build and coach the team. He won't get that here.

it took him 3 seasons to get promotion, and last season he finished one place and one point above Villa, and with a worse goal difference.

This season Brentford are only 5 points above us with us to play them next, which could narrow the gap to 2 points.

Edited by smokingzen

2 minutes ago, Adman said:

So if we pay £25mill to get him, a massive contract and still get relegated and sack him because he doesn't cut it in the prem?  That's very high risk. 

He can cut it in the Champions League but can’t cut it in the Prem against the mighty Fulham and Bournemouth.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Biesla now the name being linked. Can you imagine mcginn trying to play bieslas way?

We do not have the players that could play like that

No chance we’d go for Bielsa, nobody is that stupid at the Villa.  If it is a serious link I’d be surprised, probably just somebody saying a name because he’s out there but he’s not the level we should be looking at.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

He can cut it in the Champions League but can’t cut it in the Prem against the mighty Fulham and Bournemouth.

I'm sure he's great, just a big cost downside if it goes wrong.  Look where the individual and collective performances are right now. Would anyone be massively surprised if we're bottom by Xmas?  The next coach has a massive job to do to turn this around and relegation is not out of the question.  The recent recruitment decisions of the club make total financial meltdown more likely if the worst were to happen

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If it were Bielsa, I'd see it being something temporary till maybe WC or summer?

He would take us down. We have the slowest team in the league and he plays only one way of football

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smokingzen said:

How so?

Well the most obvious one would be that he got Brentford promoted.

A team with a fraction of our resources, especially in the Championship.

Has also established them in the Premier League, playing attractive football in the same structure.

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No chance we’d go for Bielsa, nobody is that stupid at the Villa.  If it is a serious link I’d be surprised, probably just somebody saying a name because he’s out there but he’s not the level we should be looking at.

If we had the players for it i wouldnt be opposed u ril end of season then get someone more high profile in summer.

But biesla with this squad would be a disaster

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Mostly agree, although I think they can be improved with good coaching and we shouldn’t be in a relegation fight. But we are a lower mid table squad but have paid upper mid table prices for it and now seem to be walking an FFP tightrope given Purslows “one in one out” comments. I don’t think we can promise a big budget to tempt an elite manager.

Maybe... but I get the feeling that all the coaching in the world isn't going to stop Mings making costly mistakes every few games, or turn Watkins into a natural born finisher.

The past couple of seasons the difference between our actual finishing position and circa 8th (your upper mid table) has only been 6 points. Take Mings mistakes out of the equation, or add a few goals Watkins should have scored, and that's the difference. 

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well the most obvious one would be that he got Brentford promoted.

A team with a fraction of our resources, especially in the Championship.

Has also established them in the Premier League, playing attractive football in the same structure.

Wasnt that a myth. They spent 10 million on Toney, 6 million on Jansson about 4 million on Jensen

Yes its from money they got from other players but they spent a good bit of money