Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 hours ago, TRO said:

........destroying whats good about us......and that is, what?.....The last 2 games was utter dogs breath.....now if you put all that down to him, then yes, he's on thin ice.......if its not as you allude to, why sack him.

In the last 25 years the following managers had worse Stats than Steve Gerrard and him with only 35 games.....now thats nothing to write home about either.....just saying.

• Graham Taylor mk2
  • David O'Leary
  • Alex McLeish
  • Paul Lambert
  • Tim Sherwood
  • Remi Garde
  • RDM

Boy we have had some Brammers, haven't we?

but the next one will be good......won't he?🤔

I dont see Dean Smith on that list? Manager you thought was nothing compared to Brucey

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't know where this notion comes from that we automatically fix our woes with a new manager.....There is no past evidence, that we appoint serial winning managers.

In the last 20 odd years and 13 managers 45% is the best we have mustered and that was primarily in the championship.

our record is not impressive.

in the last 100 years  we have not acheived 50%.

why do we think that changes, with such ease?

The hope is that we are no longer owned by Doug Ellis, Randy Lerner or Tony Xia. Yes our current owners, or perhaps their CEO, has made a mistake with the appointment of Gerrard, but we are now a modern, progressive and well financed club with ambitious owners. Perfect no but to say we won’t appoint a good manager because the previous ownerships were somewhere between a corner shop owner, a half interested rich man spending daddies money and a total fraud who had less money than NSWE carry about as lose change is nonsensical. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't know where this notion comes from that we automatically fix our woes with a new manager.....There is no past evidence, that we appoint serial winning managers.

In the last 20 odd years and 13 managers 45% is the best we have mustered and that was primarily in the championship.

our record is not impressive.

in the last 100 years  we have not acheived 50%.

why do we think that changes, with such ease?

It comes from the notion that our current manager doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing, and that a somewhat competent manager would have us playing better with the current squad. See Newcastle and Brighton for examples.

9 hours ago, TRO said:

........destroying whats good about us......and that is, what?.....The last 2 games was utter dogs breath.....now if you put all that down to him, then yes, he's on thin ice.......if its not as you allude to, why sack him.

In the last 25 years the following managers had worse Stats than Steve Gerrard and him with only 35 games.....now thats nothing to write home about either.....just saying.

• Graham Taylor mk2
  • David O'Leary
  • Alex McLeish
  • Paul Lambert
  • Tim Sherwood
  • Remi Garde
  • RDM

Boy we have had some Brammers, haven't we?

but the next one will be good......won't he?🤔

None of these were as experienced as Poch is , in fact we have nearly always elevated managers rather than having one who's dropping a level to manage us.

If our owners want success they have to get a manager in who can and has performed at that level. Letting an inexperienced manager spend like they have is foolish. 

Poch or a manger like him would demand respect from the players, as he has done it at the top level. Seeing Gerrard scramble around looking lost isn't going inspire any of our players apart from a few of the younger ones. 

We know Beale was the brains of the operation, he's gone and Gerrard is spent. The gamble is over I'm afraid and now it's time to back a proven successful manager and start to build something successful. 

I hope Gerrard beats Chelsea and Fulham and we start to build , it's just not going to happen. 

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You didn't want to sack Bruce. What happened after? 

You really do back the odd choices. 

Bruce is the prime example of how a manager leaving can produce an overnight change in success.  Dean and Howe have proved it, plus Bruce dragged West Brom down to his level when he took over.  I don't know what Dean's winning percentage was the year we got promoted but I'm pretty sure it would have been above 50%.  Getting promoted would have dragged it down but you'd expect that from a newly promoted side with a brand new squad.  I'd be surprised if any manager who has got promoted has ended up with a winning percentage above 50% or even 40% within two or three seasons.  That's why it's a bad gauge of how good a job is being done. 

Gerrard's performance has been so bad in so many ways and I don't even take the winning percentage into it at all.  The tactics are so bad, his public treatment of the players shabby, his demeanour when he sulks on the bench when we are losing is the opposite I'd expect of a supposed 'true winner'.  It may be a generational thing and some people hark back to 80s Neanderball and think just working harder than the other team is enough but this is the PL, where I'd say every manager has an equal desire to Gerrard to win but understand what modern football is about tactically plus know how to take care of footballers who come from all sorts of backgrounds, not just their own.  Hopefully next week we will have a manager that doesn't suck the life out of the club, players and fans.

The best success we have had in the past years was with ONeil. Not really that shocking, he was also the most experienced we have had and probably the biggest name. So it's not really rocket science to sign a manager with a similar cv.

If Purslow needs help I'm here!

Hopefully NSWE are here on Sunday and then plan to meet candidates for relacing Gerrard too. They need to convince Poch to take over. The job he did at Spurs was the type of job we need him to do. It also means he will be guaranteed investment from the owners if he took over.

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

Welcome to the club Marcelo Gallardo

I'd rather Neil Critchley. We're not taking a coach who has spent a decade coaching in south America and barely had a playing career in Europe. Some of the nonsense you read on VT and elsewhere is highly amusing

4 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Neil Critchley over Gallardo? you must be kidding.
That's like choosing Neil Taylor over Alphonso Davies just because he hasn't played in the PL

There are at least 20 managers we can get that are a better choice than someone who's entire football experiences as a player and coach are confined to Argentina. Are people f'n serious? A an absolute bare minimum we are only interested in coaches who've experience from the top 5 leagues. 

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There are at least 20 managers we can get that are a better choice than someone who's entire football experiences as a player and coach are confined to Argentina. Are people f'n serious? A an absolute bare minimum we are only interested in coaches who've experience from the top 5 leagues. 

With that logic there's no way Bayern would have took a punt on a manager who's entire playing and managerial career up to that point was confined to Spain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I disagree, he won the South American Champions league twice beating the best teams across the Continent. 
Its stupid to suggest Dyche and Critchley being a better choice than Gallardo  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

With that logic there's no way Bayern would have took a punt on a manager who's entire playing and managerial career up to that point was confined to Spain.

🤣🤣 This has to be the perfect post. I literally say the top 5 leagues. You know Spain is one of those leagues yes? The league is called La Liga, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc.. they are all from that League. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

🤣🤣 This has to be the perfect post. I literally say the top 5 leagues. You know Spain is one of those leagues yes? The league is called La Liga, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc.. they are all from that League. 

Explain these to me?  No experience in the so called "top 5 leagues"
Mourinho from Porto to Chelsea
Pep from Barca B to Barca
Wenger from Japan to Arsenal
Sir Alex from Aberdeen to Man United

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I disagree, he won the South American Champions league twice beating the best teams across the Continent. 
Its stupid to suggest Dyche and Critchley being a better choice than Gallardo  

Lets get a South American coach in who doesn't speak English and has no experience of European football. Who's success is in second tier leagues and competitions. That's exactly what we need to turn the ship around. 

It's the standard nonsense that fans do, youtube videos of footballers we should sign because they are flash and exciting.