Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

Getting the feeling that Gerrard's job is much safer at the moment than we are hoping for.  I'm afraid it will probably require us to be in the relegation zone come the WC break for the board to let him go.

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Getting the feeling that Gerrard's job is much safer at the moment than we are hoping for.  I'm afraid it will probably require us to be in the relegation zone come the WC break for the board to let him go.

No,

Telegraph article said he close to going.
Owners are a the game on Sunday and don't sound convinced by Gerrard. 

23 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I can’t see us being anywhere else if he’s still here then. 

I feel like we getting closer to the end of Gerrard reign
I'm getting exciting. I cant wait to see who the bookies favourites are.
Hopefully we go for Poch and Marcelo Gallardo. Two Top managers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

I feel like we getting closer to the end of Gerrard reign
I'm getting exciting. I cant wait to see who the bookies favourites are.
Hopefully we go for Poch and Marcelo Gallardo. Two Top managers.

Agree. I am looking forward to seeing how these players improve under a good head coach. Its exciting to think about. Hopefully the club will move swiftly and we can get back to looking up soon.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree. I am looking forward to seeing how these players improve under a good head coach. Its exciting to think about. Hopefully the club will move swiftly and we can get back to looking up soon.

There is a lot better manager available this time than the last time we sacked Dean Smith 
I just hope Lange don't go for Thomas Frank just because he's Danish. 

• Like 1

I don't know where this notion comes from that we automatically fix our woes with a new manager.....There is no past evidence, that we appoint serial winning managers.

In the last 20 odd years and 13 managers 45% is the best we have mustered and that was primarily in the championship.

our record is not impressive.

in the last 100 years  we have not acheived 50%.

why do we think that changes, with such ease?

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't know where this notion comes from that we automatically fix our woes with a new manager.....There is no past evidence, that we appoint serial winning managers.

In the last 20 odd years and 13 managers 45% is the best we have mustered and that was primarily in the championship.

our record is not impressive.

in the last 100 years  we have not acheived 50%.

why do we think that changes, with such ease?

I don't think a new manager automatically fixes everything, I do believe any new manager will have some idea of how to do their job with some competence. 

Gerrard is a clueless chancer, Tim Sherwood is a better manager. He managed to pull off some decent results with a far worse squad.

I can't think of one shock result under SG, not one in 11 months, except losses and draws 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, messi11 said:

There is a lot better manager available this time than the last time we sacked Dean Smith 
I just hope Lange don't go for Thomas Frank just because he's Danish. 

I actually think he is a good manager....but it is hard to tell, whether, its the set up at Brentford, which dictates.

Their ability to get blood out of a stone, is impressive.....and their recruitment is slick.

They base their philosophy on hard work, and intensity.....something we did, in the late 70's early 80's

We now think magic moments, make up for that.......and it don't.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't think a new manager automatically fixes everything, I do believe any new manager will have some idea of how to do their job with some competence. 

Gerrard is a clueless chancer, Tim Sherwood is a better manager. He managed to pull off some decent results with a far worse squad.

I can't think of one shock result under SG, not one in 11 months 🤷🏻‍♂️

Like the last lot....

Check out the performance stats of our previous managers, go back as far as you like.

It might make you think, a bit harder, about whether its just the manager......and a bit harder about who changes the history.

Unless this team of ours, shows more urgency, intensity, and a willingness to compete, allied to their much talked about talent......and I don't know who, can get that out of them.....we are going nowhere.

Ps Tim Sherwood, was ridiculed, by sections of the fan base, so I wouldn't use him as a yardstick

Edited by TRO
  • Confused 1

Just now, TRO said:

Like the last lot....

Check out the performance stats of our previous managers, go back as far as you like.

It might make you think, a bit harder, about whether its just the manager......and a bit harder about who changes the history.

Unless this team of ours, shows more urgency, intensity, and a willingness to compete, allied to their much talked about talent......and I don't know who, can get that out of them.....we are going nowhere.

I agree it's not all the manager, but that doesn't mean SG gets to keep destroying whatever is good about us.

Hopefully the debate over SG is over soon, I won't have anything left to say about him once he's on "other football"

My eyes tell me he is the worst manager in the 25 years I have supported this club. 

11 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I agree it's not all the manager, but that doesn't mean SG gets to keep destroying whatever is good about us.

Hopefully the debate over SG is over soon, I won't have anything left to say about him once he's on "other football"

My eyes tell me he is the worst manager in the 25 years I have supported this club. 

........destroying whats good about us......and that is, what?.....The last 2 games was utter dogs breath.....now if you put all that down to him, then yes, he's on thin ice.......if its not as you allude to, why sack him.

In the last 25 years the following managers had worse Stats than Steve Gerrard and him with only 35 games.....now thats nothing to write home about either.....just saying.

• Graham Taylor mk2
  • David O'Leary
  • Alex McLeish
  • Paul Lambert
  • Tim Sherwood
  • Remi Garde
  • RDM

Boy we have had some Brammers, haven't we?

but the next one will be good......won't he?🤔

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

........destroying whats good about us......and that is, what?.....The last 2 games was utter dogs breath.....now if you put all that down to him, then yes, he's on thin ice.......if its not as you allude to, why sack him.

In the last 25 years the following managers had worse Stats than Steve Gerrard and him with only 35 games.....now thats nothing to write home about either.....just saying.

• Graham Taylor mk2
  • David O'Leary
  • Alex McLeish
  • Paul Lambert
  • Tim Sherwood
  • Remi Garde
  • RDM

We seem to be saying different things, I don't care about history... I care about now, we have hired an idiot on his L plates, who has no idea what his direction he is taking us.

Our owners are different to Dougie and Lerner, so who knows who we are capable of hiring.

Not sacking him because historically we've had some poor managers is not a valid argument imo. 

PS I'll give you RDM, I had completely wiped my brain of his presence. He's on par with SG.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

• Graham Taylor mk2
  • David O'Leary
  • Alex McLeish
  • Paul Lambert
  • Tim Sherwood
  • Remi Garde
  • RDM

You can't look at managers without their context. Who were the owners in that time?

Doug Ellis - Graham Taylor mk II, O'Leary

Lerner - MON, McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde

Xia - RDM, Bruce

Boy - we've had some lousy owners, haven't we?

Our current owners: Smith and Gerrard. That's a 50/50 split - better than our last 2 owners.

There is reason for optimism about our next appointment.

• Like 4