Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I can maybe see what you’re saying but can’t fully agree with you…

Where did Little come form again? Managerial background/record? Leicester?

Would you not say John Gregory was a risk? Largely paid off but he didn’t get the backing… from Wycombe to Villa?

How would you, for instance, categorise the likes of Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo? I wouldn’t call any of them predictable or top shelf - all risks and misguided appointments imo.

McLeish??!!!! 😡🤣

Maybe Bruce was predictable but at the same time shit and underwhelming, if not disappointing.

MON was probably predictable but a lot of people were excited about it at the time… almost as though it was a coup for us…

I don’t remember being as excited for anything related to Villa as much as the day MON signed for us. It felt like a new era.

• Like 1

I banged the drum loud and often for Potter when it was obvious that Deano was running out of time. When Gerrard was appointed I recognised that if he could do the coaching and managing part of the job (his background coaching team gave me confidence) then he was ahead of Potter in terms of raising the profile of Villa and attracting bigger reputation type players. I welcomed SG.

Steve has succeeded to some extent with raising the profile and attracting some big name players, but his coaching and management has been a sad and worrying disappointment. In contrast Potter's coaching and management reputation has grown in the time that SG has been with us.

I'm back on the Potter drum because appointing him would make so much sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

What he did with Östersund, is like getting St Ives Town FC into Premier League

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

They were a 5th division team that rose up and beat Arsenal in the Europa League

Fair play.  He definitely gets the best out of players then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

They were a 5th division team that rose up and beat Arsenal in the Europa League

Just had a look and they were a 4th Division team and to add context they were already 3-0 when won that game against Arsenal.

But still not taking anything away from them or Potter. Seems like an incredible success story. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just had a look and they were a 4th Division team and to add context they were already 3-0 when won that game against Arsenal.

But still not taking anything away from them or Potter. Seems like an incredible success story. 

You just need to look at Brighton to see how he transformed them. Even when they weren't necessarily getting the results in his first 2 years there, their performances were lightyears away from what they used to serve up under Hughton. It was only a matter of time before it clicked.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Isn't it shocking how one of the most experienced manages we signed, brought us the most success. Bit of a tip there if Purslow needs it.

If it’s experience you want then ain’t that Rodgers ?

If Gerrard is sacked of course. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
Mentioning Gerrard to keep it on topic

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If it’s experience you want then ain’t that Rodgers ?

Yeah, got Leicester to 8th last season, with not a much better team. Lost his mojo this season, cause Leicester can't spend, obviously wants out, but they can't even afford that.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah, got Leicester to 8th last season, with not a much better team. Lost his mojo this season, cause Leicester can't spend, obviously wants out, but they can't even afford that.

5th and 5th the 2 seasons before that + an FA Cup. The owners refuse to spend so it was always going to go one way for them. 

Before that, probably best Celtic manager in this millennium, and got a Liverpool side that should have been nowhere near, within 2 games of winning the title. That's about as solid of an experience as you'll likely find for our club right now.

• Like 2

I'd take Rodgers all day. I'd just prefer a rested Rodgers though. My concern would be taking any manager that has not had a couple of months to step back, and re-evaluate themselves. I think we all need it at times. Sometimes going from one shitshow into another isn't the best thing to do. We need freshness whoever takes the reins imo. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I'd take Rodgers all day. I'd just prefer a rested Rodgers though. My concern would be taking any manager that has not had a couple of months to step back, and re-evaluate themselves. I think we all need it at times. Sometimes going from one shitshow into another isn't the best thing to do. We need freshness whoever takes the reins imo. 

I agree with this. It isn't exactly ideal, but even an un-rested Rodgers would probably be top of the realistic prospective candidates list.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

5th and 5th the 2 seasons before that + an FA Cup. The owners refuse to spend so it was always going to go one way for them. 

Before that, probably best Celtic manager in this millennium, and got a Liverpool side that should have been nowhere near, within 2 games of winning the title. That's about as solid of an experience as you'll likely find for our club right now.

If he can find his mojo, I'm sure many would welcome him. Your just seeing the end of him at Leicester at the moment. 

Less of a risk than Potter, more gettable than Poch. Personally think he was destined to end up here one day, could be a great match.

• Like 2