Euro 2024 Qualifying

Genie

40 minutes ago, sne said:

2 people wearing Swedish football jerseys have been shot dead in Brussels not far from where Belgium and Sweden play tonight. By a guy on scooters yelling Allahu akbar according to local media. 

Edit: At least 3 people shot. Guy posted on social media that he did it for ISIS and especially targeted Swedes. He's still not caught.

Is that why we are still waiting for second half or they just had a very long injury time at first half? ( sorry just joined to watch on viaplay xtra)

1 minute ago, HongKongVillan said:

Is that why we are still waiting for second half or they just had a very long injury time at first half? ( sorry just joined to watch on viaplay xtra)

The game is suspended apparently

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Yeah that's why. Doubt the game will be finished but the Belgian police also don't want the Swedish fans to leave the stadium as they are being targeted by terrorists.

Swedish players refusing to play apparently. Game was only allowed to start in the first place because police didn't want Swedish fans on the streets.

Edited by sne

Just now, sne said:

Yeah that's why. Doubt the game will be finished but the Belgian police also don't want the Swedish fans to leave the stadium as they are being targeted by terrorists.

Bizarrely its probably the safest place at the moment and hopefully the rest of the fans can get back safely

• Like 2

So Rep of Ireland have a chance of qualifying for the Euros by losing to the Netherlands because of some Nations League ranking bollocks. But if we were to beat them (lol) then we'd be out. Luckily we're very very good at losing to teams ranked higher than 180 in the world, so there's that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

So Rep of Ireland have a chance of qualifying for the Euros by losing to the Netherlands because of some Nations League ranking bollocks. But if we were to beat them (lol) then we'd be out. Luckily we're very very good at losing to teams ranked higher than 180 in the world, so there's that.

I don't fully understand how this has happened but UEFA need to have an urgent rethink, you can't be having situations like this occurring. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't fully understand how this has happened but UEFA need to have an urgent rethink, you can't be having situations like this occurring. 

Its the Nations League rankings because they need a certain amount of teams to make the play offs

Its a really stupid idea even if I would be happy to somehow qualify

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder what they will do with Israel and that group. Yugoslavia were thrown out of the 92 Euro's despite qualifying. Russia are already out. This is different, kinda. But also a very similar situation.

Bet UEFA are hoping it sorts out itself with the other teams in the group but Israel have 4 games left and enough points to stay in the race.

Obviously I think they should be thrown out but doubt they will.

20 hours ago, sne said:

Wonder what they will do with Israel and that group. Yugoslavia were thrown out of the 92 Euro's despite qualifying. Russia are already out. This is different, kinda. But also a very similar situation.

Bet UEFA are hoping it sorts out itself with the other teams in the group but Israel have 4 games left and enough points to stay in the race.

No chance I would say. The perspective amongst the great and good is that this is an 'internal' matter, not an invasion. 

Where you could imagine a difficulty is around protests and policing, and also whether the Israeli FA is in a position to guarantee the safety of visiting teams, but it seems they probably are at this point. 

13 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

No chance I would say. The perspective amongst the great and good is that this is an 'internal' matter, not an invasion. 

Where you could imagine a difficulty is around protests and policing, and also whether the Israeli FA is in a position to guarantee the safety of visiting teams, but it seems they probably are at this point. 

Will surely have to play on neutral ground?

Israel have some good young players like the Bayern keeper and Soloman at Spurs so I'd actually like to see them at a major tournament (regardless of political attachments), think they last qualified for anything in the 1980s so it's been a long time.

Germany having to police the team and their fans at the tournament will be a bit of a challenge though as prime target for reprisals. 

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Will surely have to play on neutral ground?

Israel have some good young players like the Bayern keeper and Soloman at Spurs so I'd actually like to see them at a major tournament (regardless of political attachments), think they last qualified for anything in the 1980s so it's been a long time.

Germany having to police the team and their fans at the tournament will be a bit of a challenge though as prime target for reprisals. 

an Israeli team attacked at a major tournament in Germany,

Spielberg might be looking to make a sequel

On 02/11/2023 at 12:36, sne said:

Israel have already booked a playoff spot from the Nations League

Â