Euro 2024 Qualifying

Genie

Sweden are in for a similar situation when the current guy is finally sacked in a couple months. Did a good job when he first came in but has been getting steadily worse after 2018. I saw the signs back then and wanted him replaced after that WC (was obviously not gonna happen since we did pretty well). But it happened as I expect with him sticking to his old favorites far, far too long while also not moving with the times and adapting with the new generation of players coming through. We still play a slow rigid 4-4-2 with the CM being our weakest area and are again failing to qualify for the tournaments. In the last tournament we took part we had the oldest team in the whole competition. Guy wanted to bring a injured and semi retired Andreas Granqvist who was 36 or something at the time because he was "good for the group". 

Now everyone is speculating about who takes over and there really are no good candidates. Lots of people want's various former players like Ljungberg, Henke Larsson. Jonas Thern. King Olof, and so on but the thing is they have all failed as managers and are frankly not good enough for what we need. The name people dream about is Graham Potter but that's obviously financially impossible as the Sweden manager is on £400k a year or so.

I've no realistic candidate either but have landed on Danish ex U-21 manager Jesper Sörensen. Not gonna happen either since he just joined Bröndby and since Sweden has a moronic "rule" of only hiring Swedish managers cast in the same mold. I also have zero faith in the new guy running the Swedish FA as he is an ex politician and former prime minister.

Oh and the guy representing Sweden at UEFA and FIFA actively talked for Russia to be allowed back in so he's no doubt on the take :D Guy is a disgusting slob but hopefully he might get thrown out for going against the agreed line.

Anyway, rant over.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Its too late now but always surprised that Sweden never went for Sven. Hacken manager could be a decent shout but he is Norwegian so not sure if an issue

Yeah I'd be happy with him. Think he's a good shout.

On Sven I think he was financially impossible when he was a good option. Neither side would never disclose it but I think it was the case. 

Edited by sne

52 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We should try hire Smith. He would be a better candidate than bloody Bruce

Scoring goals has been a huge problem for ROI since Robbie Keane got into his 30s but I do think there is potential. Evan Ferguson is 19 and a huge talent as we know. Watched Luton a few times this season and Ogbene is a bustling presence out wide so in counter attack games he can be useful (he reminds me of Michail Antonio a bit). Mikey Johnston was also seen as a huge talent a few years back at Celtic (was actually at Guimaraes last season). Aaron Connolly starting to score again at Hull after some poor loan moves, still only 23.

Can't get over how bad the midfield options are though. Josh Cullen is the only prem player in there currently so that's a big reason they don't win any games against Tier A or B nations currently.

Yeah it could be a good job for DS. Even perhaps Graham Potter may be interested? We've seen it before with guys like McLeish and Mark Hughes, overachieve a bit with a national team and suddenly there's more interest in you from club sides.

Edited by VillaChris

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Scoring goals has been a huge problem for ROI since Robbie Keane got into his 30s but I do think there is potential. Evan Ferguson is 19 and a huge talent as we know. Watched Luton a few times this season and Ogbene is a bustling presence out wide so in counter attack games he can be useful (he reminds me of Michail Antonio a bit). Mikey Johnston was also seen as a huge talent a few years back at Celtic (was actually at Guimaraes last season). Aaron Connolly starting to score again at Hull after some poor loan moves, still only 23.

Can't get over how bad the midfield options are though. Josh Cullen is the only prem player in there currently so that's a big reason they don't win any games against Tier A or B nations currently.

Yeah it could be a good job for DS. Even perhaps Graham Potter may be interested? We've seen it before with guys like McLeish and Mark Hughes, overachieve a bit with a national team and suddenly there's more interest in you from club sides.

yep the midfield is pretty poor, people wont like to hear it but we never replaced Whelan. I wouldnt be surprised if Finn Azaz is receiving a call up soon and Jason Knight hasnt pushed on

We have a decent set of youngsters like Ferguson, Bazunu, Collins, Omobamidele and Andrew Moran who is getting hyped a lot but missing leaders as well. Coleman pushing on but is a big loss

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

yep the midfield is pretty poor, people wont like to hear it but we never replaced Whelan. I wouldnt be surprised if Finn Azaz is receiving a call up soon and Jason Knight hasnt pushed on

We have a decent set of youngsters like Ferguson, Bazunu, Collins, Omobamidele and Andrew Moran who is getting hyped a lot but missing leaders as well. Coleman pushing on but is a big loss

Until we can find a top-half Premier League standard midfielder, we are at nothing really. It's as bad as it's ever been in my lifetime for sure. Some decent results at youth level, but the players aren't quite progressing through at club level apart from Ferguson.

It's one thing getting beat by the likes of France and Netherlands, but to be comprehensively beaten by Greece twice, shows that they are basically are pot 4/5 team now and will be for the foreseeable future.

People always go on about that they'll give the job to a Steve Bruce or Sam Allardyce type, but just the put the job up and see who applies for it and then go from there.

In other news, Savo Milosevic got his first win as Bosnia-Herzegovina boss as they beat Liechtenstein. Expect to see him at the return game in Mostar when Villa play Zrinjski again in December.

Edited by Ceemo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

How on Earth can Cash not get in that sh*t Poland team that can't even beat Moldova, my word are these national team managers all completely stupid 😂

Every time i see our players on the bench i raise my hands to the gods and say thankyou

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

How on Earth can Cash not get in that sh*t Poland team that can't even beat Moldova, my word are these national team managers all completely stupid 😂

Santos didn't rate him at all. Not sure why the new one didn't even put him on as sub.

Lewandowski didn't play tonight so Poland going to go for a while without qualifying for tournaments again once he retires.

11 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Every time i see our players on the bench i raise my hands to the gods and say thankyou

To be fair I don’t really care, it just lacks any common sense to play someone at right wing back in their 30s currently playing in Poland and never got higher than Championship level in their career over Cash who’s the current first choice right back for a team in 5th place in the Premier League and who’s already scored 3 goals from that position this season. The Poland coach must be incredibly short sighted to not even start him in a must win game or bring him on when they’re failing to beat Moldova at home. They’ve pretty much blown their chance of qualifying now, Lewandowski being out didn’t help but Cash is probably their third best player after him and Zielinski. Unless he has performed incredibly badly for Poland, then it is an odd move as their squad has very little quality in it. Honestly most of their players are barely Championship standard.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Santos didn't rate him at all. Not sure why the new one didn't even put him on as sub.

Lewandowski didn't play tonight so Poland going to go for a while without qualifying for tournaments again once he retires.

Cash was first choice right back for them for about 18 months then the last 6 months he has weirdly been in and out of the team. Not sure how he has been performing, he was also injured for a bit last season, but he did well at the World Cup. 

Cash has his technical limitations, we know that, but his energy and finishing is an asset and he’s easily good enough for Poland’s team. As I’ve said previously though, internationals confuse the hell out of me because so many players of questionable ability get picked and players who should play get ignored. I didn’t think that would happen to Cash though because Poland are not a particularly great side and IMO he’s one of their top 3 outfield players, or certainly top 5.

46 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Cash was first choice right back for them for about 18 months then the last 6 months he has weirdly been in and out of the team. Not sure how he has been performing, he was also injured for a bit last season, but he did well at the World Cup. 

Cash has his technical limitations, we know that, but his energy and finishing is an asset and he’s easily good enough for Poland’s team. As I’ve said previously though, internationals confuse the hell out of me because so many players of questionable ability get picked and players who should play get ignored. I didn’t think that would happen to Cash though because Poland are not a particularly great side and IMO he’s one of their top 3 outfield players, or certainly top 5.

He had a really bad game in Prague in the first of the group. Czechs went 2-0 up after 10 minutes, he was subbed soon after (injured as he then missed a month for us) and some pundits were slagging him off on TV afterwards so think that played part in Santos not wanting to trust him much.

Given he was unused sub I get the feeling the vibe is they think he's not interested after World cup but he's still turning up for the squads rather than pulling out with slight injuries as you see so often with players who aren't enthused by what is happening with international teams.

Really strange with Santos gone he can't get a look in under the new manager. Actually he did start away to the Faroes on Thursday so subbed and then unused sub suggests either a small injury or just not impressed on the night.

Or maybe they were watching us play Legia Warsaw and confused him with Calum Chambers....😂

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

On 13/10/2023 at 21:55, Newry_Villan said:

Ireland out. 4 wins in 3 years I think I heard the pundits say. Kenny has to go. 

Ireland can bizarrely still qualify for the play-off by losing to Netherlands.  If Netherlands qualify, then Ireland get a play-off spot through the Nations League.  So, there is a possible scenario of losing to Netherlands and getting into the play-offs or beating Netherlands and not getting the play-offs.

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Listening to S4C is hilarious. Can't understand a word that's being said other than players names. 

Next time, they have alternate language commentary if you’re watching via the website.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Ireland can bizarrely still qualify for the play-off by losing to Netherlands.  If Netherlands qualify, then Ireland get a play-off spot through the Nations League.  So, there is a possible scenario of losing to Netherlands and getting into the play-offs or beating Netherlands and not getting the play-offs.

Watch Ireland turn up for that game now 😂

• Haha 1

Â