January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, Powehi said:

I think Emery probably has a backup plan. Just an assumption based on his track record.

What backup plan involves using a player we don't have. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Powehi said:

We've got one game a week and six/seven players in reserve - plus some talented youth. We'll be fine mate.

Whilst we would all like to bring through the youth, most of the talented young ones are out on loan. Of those remaining, I’m not sure many are first team ready.

Edited by mikeyp102

4 minutes ago, Thug said:

And who’s gonna pay player X’s wages for the next 5 years when we don’t want him any more because he wasn’t actually what we wanted in the first place?

There’s two sides to every coin my friend.  

This isn't the other side of the coin! It's a very specific scenario that you've invented where any attacking option is automatically actually pants, on a 5 year contract and on huge wages.

A bit of an overreation on here (shock) on us not making more signings, I think everyone involved at the club would have liked a few signings but  when non are available, I'd rather we wait than buy garbage or pay way over their worth, we are actively selling members of our current bomb squad, we do not need to add to it. 

This also gives Emery plenty of time to assess the players, who will adapt and who have the right characteristics, who knows, maybe some players may actually improve under Emery given some time. 

I nearly suggested this earlier, not surprised at all and we should probably consider it, though people will meltdown if we sell another. But we won't get this opportunity again.

I'd sell Digne and try and get someone likeDjed Spence as backup RB (if he's not already in Rennez) using Youmg at LB backup instead

Edit: to be clear I'm not saying I believe this guy, just that I think we should consider it. This guy is most probably BS

Edited by HalfTimePost

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

I nearly suggested this earlier, not surprised at all and we should probably consider it, though people will meltdown if we sell another. But we won't get this opportunity again.

I'd sell Digne and try and get someone likeDjed Spence as backup RB (if he's not already in Rennez) using Youmg at LB backup instead

I wouldn't be against this. It would make financial sense. 

Young can cover both full back positions. 

Just now, Chicken Field said:

A bit of an overreation on here (shock) on us not making more signings, I think everyone involved at the club would have liked a few signings but  when non are available, I'd rather we wait than buy garbage or pay way over their worth, we are actively selling members of our current bomb squad, we do not need to add to it. 

This also gives Emery plenty of time to assess the players, who will adapt and who have the right characteristics, who knows, maybe some players may actually improve under Emery given some time. 

Read up there mate, he doesn't have any backup plans for players being injured so we're screwed.

Just now, DCJonah said:

The panic is ridiculous. All of a sudden we're gonna have mass injuries and everyone is going to start playing badly. 

I really hope these same people don't start moaning when we didn't qualify for Europe in Emery's first season. 

Long term plan. Let's have a little faith in it. 

We still have a strong squad with options. 

Dhuran may also contribute more than some believe right now. 

Apparently, if we don't qualify for Europe this season it will never happen.  This is our last chance, or forever languish in mid-table mediocrity. 

Just now, Rolta said:

This isn't the other side of the coin! It's a very specific scenario that you've invented where any attacking option is automatically actually pants, on a 5 year contract and on huge wages.

Not at all.

I would suggest that if there was an option that wasn’t pants and available, we would take it?

Maybe the options available are not considered worthy.

Maybe we have a very good deal agreed for the summer?

If you go to a bar looking for company, and all that’s there is 2 old ugly birds, do you take one home? Or do u come back next weekend?

Just now, duke313 said:

Apparently, if we don't qualify for Europe this season it will never happen.  This is our last chance, or forever languish in mid-table mediocrity. 

It's crazy. We had the same attitude Smiths 2nd season in the league. 

Just now, duke313 said:

We are 6th highest for goals scored in league since Emery came in, stop worrying about goals.

Sold one of the only real scorers in that run as well.  Not convinced that run of scoring will continue with the likes of Coutinho, Buendia and co, as well as losing one of the main scorers in that run in Ings.  You may chill but I’m still wondering where the goals will continue to come from.

Just now, DCJonah said:

The panic is ridiculous. All of a sudden we're gonna have mass injuries and everyone is going to start playing badly. 

I really hope these same people don't start moaning when we didn't qualify for Europe in Emery's first season. 

Agreed. We, at best, have a tiny chance of european qualification this season, even if we sign 3x more players. There is absolutely no reason for us to panic buy players this transfer window, worst case scenario we finish 13th or something. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

One. One injury. We just need the one.