January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Probably been said but Leeds in for Mckennie/Ounahi. Two names that have been mentioned on here before. I wonder if our name isn’t in the mix because of Guendouzi? All the talk around Mckennie was him rejecting us but absolutely no way he does that and then goes and signs for Leeds.

Definitely think we’ll get Guendouzi. 

McKennie to Leeds does not surprise me at all, even if he prefers that move over us (if we really were interested). They already have Tyler Adams and Arronson; the US players really enjoy working under Jesse Marsch. I was a bit shocked they never made a push for Pulisic last summer. 😄

• Like 2

Can’t help but feel the club will just get an experienced striker either on loan (now there’s a slot free) or cheap deal this month. 

Not convinced there’s a lot to these Guendouzi rumours, get the impression he was a person of interest at the start of the month and they’ve moved on. 

Mainly think this because when Villa are looking to seriously buy somebody, thinking of the Moreno, Diego Carlos, Kamara, Lucas Digne, Chambers deals done in recent times they get it wrapped up very quickly. 

• Like 1

There was quite a bit of mention a few days ago that Cash's position is at risk as Unai may want a RB that:

Stays back, effectively becoming a 3rd CB and is much more robust defensively, doesn't push forward and is better at stopping crosses and defending...

Allowing the left back to become the attacking outlet, high pushing up the pitch, free-flowing attacking presence.

1) I really like Cash and I'd be disappointed as he's had a bit of a dip following the world cup which just happens to line up with when Unai is evaluating his squad. I hope he turns it around.

2) This would be a bit of a disaster for KKH if true, though as our LBs are 29, maybe he'll come through at a time where Unai can swap his RB/LB plan.

3) For that blue-print, there would be not many players better for us than Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

1 minute ago, RichW said:

Mainly think this because when Villa are looking to seriously buy somebody, thinking of the Moreno, Diego Carlos, Kamara, Lucas Digne, Chambers deals done in recent times they get it wrapped up very quickly. 

Duran took 6 months…

2 minutes ago, RichW said:

Yeah and there was zilch rumours about it anywhere. Guendouzi rumours have been around for quite a while now. 

Eh? There were rumours at the end of December/early January 

edit: just picked one off a search  - 28th Dec

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2022/12/28/aston-villa-fulham-make-offers-to-sign-jhon-duran/

Aston Villa and Fulham are linked with a January swoop for Jhon Duran, with the two clubs submitting offers to sign the Colombian striker.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If there were can’t have been many, I’d never heard of him until Villa announced they agreed a deal. 

I could be wrong and Guendouzi does sign but just feel like we’ve seen it all before when there’s a lot of rumours about players and it turns out the deal was never close. 

I know Gregg Evans probably isn’t the best source but in his article for the athletic today he mentions at the bottom the deal is not close. 

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

edit: just picked one off a search  - 28th Dec

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2022/12/28/aston-villa-fulham-make-offers-to-sign-jhon-duran/

Thehardtackle.com is probably not a website I’d pay attention to for transfer rumours if I’m being honest 

If there were can’t have been many

There were loads, not sure how you missed it.  I was quite dismissive of it and even posted videos of him looking poor and there was argument over it and then people posted positive videos and that was a week or so after the initial rumours. Then in typical Villa fashion it went quiet for a couple of weeks and then wham bam we signed him.

As for Guendouzi, yeah loads of rumours, who knows how much truth.  Villa are always so secretive and thus speculation is never from Villa’s side so you never know if it’s agents drumming up business or the other clubs, media making up stuff or whether truth in it.  The only time you really know from Villa is when a player signs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tayls said:

Man we need to make a signing. Getting a bit stressed out by our numbers in case we lose some players to injury! Surely we can’t go with what we have until the summer, where the clear out essentially starts all over again with loans returning 

Dont worry our next game is after the window shuts. We haveno game this weekend

Thehardtackle.com is probably not a website I’d pay attention to for transfer rumours if I’m being honest 

It was just the first one I picked off a Google search, didn’t look at the source.  Go back in this thread, there was plenty of talk and other links at that time.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RichW said:

Can’t help but feel the club will just get an experienced striker either on loan (now there’s a slot free) or cheap deal this month. 

Not convinced there’s a lot to these Guendouzi rumours, get the impression he was a person of interest at the start of the month and they’ve moved on. 

I'd tend to agree with you, but in this case there is a lot of other factors that point to Guendouzi happening. 

Looking at squad 

Ings, Archer, Fred, Sanson, Bednarek all gone with aug and nakamba not wanted.

So the squad updated...

Emi, Olsen, steer Sinisalo* 
Young, Cash 
Moreno, Digne 
Mings, Konsa, Carlos, Chambers 
Kamara, Dendoncker 
Doug 
Ramsey*, Buendia, McGinn, Coutinho 
Bailey, Watkins, Duran* 

Thats a thin squad to be honest. Its ok squad size if you have no injuries but we all know we will get them. We already have carlos digne and mcginn out. 

I still feel we are at least 3 players short 

• Like 1