January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

38 minutes ago, I Make Pies said:

It's not just FFP. We have the new £100m+ North Stand to budget for. I don't know whether that is included in the FFP calculation or not as they have changed the rules recently, but it is certainly a lot of money to find. At least we are not £760m in the red like Everton are with their new stadium.

I have a feeling these value signings are going to be the norm in the short term, but once these youngsters start coming through that should put us in a stronger position financially. It may take a few years though before the academy investment pays off.

I’m pretty sure that infrastructure isn’t included in ffp. I know £100m is a fair old chunk but not to billionaires, who will see it as a very affordable investment for the future to help revenues. I believe NSWE are now considerably richer now than they were when they bought us, so whilst ffp can’t be ignored the financial strain of owning a Premier football club probably isn't keeping them awake at night. You’re right the academy is important to us on going and will benefit us in unearthing our own gems and income from selling those deemed just under the first team level that we’re aiming for. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Good god why????

Let's be realistic. They're not gonna be good enough for where we wanna be which is the top 8. Our team could do with the money to balance the books and spend on players that can take us up a level. Plus we have other good potential youngsters coming through. 

That's how our academy should work. Outstanding ones stay. Good ones sell on for a fee. It's business. They're upping their value by performing on loan. Good for us!

Edited by messi11

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Let's be realistic. They're not gonna be good enough for where we wanna be which is the top 8. Our team could do with the money to balance the books and spend on players that can take us up a level. Plus we have other good potential youngsters coming through. 

That's how our academy should work. Outstanding ones stay. Good ones sell on for a fee. It's business. They're upping their value by performing on loan. Good for us!

Yes it’s easy to get lost in dream of having a starting 11 of academy players but realistically only 1 or 2 out of 20 will be good enough. Iroegbunam will be certainly who would have guessed 2 years ago when all the talk was about louie Barry.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes it’s easy to get lost in dream of having a starting 11 of academy players but realistically only 1 or 2 out of 20 will be good enough. Iroegbunam will be certainly who would have guessed 2 years ago when all the talk was about louie Barry.

I think that comparing Archer and Barry is the perfect way of seeing how players develop , stagnate and mature at different levels. If we are honest not many of us were excited about him. Never had a look in with the national age team. Barry played for England teams all the way up to 18. And Cam was straight into the u20s and then u21s.

Big Tim is one of Louies best mates. His career is now accelerating as Barrys is stagnating.

Michael Standing and Gareth Barry as well . One far more highly rated than the other and one went on to be the record prem appearance holder. 

There is no such thing as a sure thing. Its like in Moneyball. Billy Beane looked a superstar as a youngster.  3 years later he was done. 

Rory Wilson is the equivalent of Louie Barry now at u18s. Goal scorer extraordinaire. But if he makes it with us he will have been very lucky.  

Even Josh Feeney is not guaranteed. He has more of a chance don't get me wrong but there is a far higher chance of him plateuing than pushing on even with the best coaching . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Exactly.... Like Chelsea, Real Madrid and Man City we must build our youngsters up and let go of the ones that will highly unlikely be top 8 players. Sell them for profit. Whilst the outstanding ones with find themselves in our first team. That's a successful academy. I think we can make a lot of money by turning quite a lot over. 

31 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think that comparing Archer and Barry is the perfect way of seeing how players develop , stagnate and mature at different levels. If we are honest not many of us were excited about him. Never had a look in with the national age team. Barry played for England teams all the way up to 18. And Cam was straight into the u20s and then u21s.

Big Tim is one of Louies best mates. His career is now accelerating as Barrys is stagnating.

Michael Standing and Gareth Barry as well . One far more highly rated than the other and one went on to be the record prem appearance holder. 

There is no such thing as a sure thing. Its like in Moneyball. Billy Beane looked a superstar as a youngster.  3 years later he was done. 

Rory Wilson is the equivalent of Louie Barry now at u18s. Goal scorer extraordinaire. But if he makes it with us he will have been very lucky.  

Even Josh Feeney is not guaranteed. He has more of a chance don't get me wrong but there is a far higher chance of him plateuing than pushing on even with the best coaching . 

Freddy Adu.

2 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Not a big loss but negative gains were:

That’s a triple negative (not, loss, negative) with a double positive (big, gains) so overall I think you are saying something mildly bad 😬😬

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

I think part of the frustration with regards to transfer fees paid out is that while we have top 4 owners in terms of their net worth, we aren't exactly throwing around money like it lately.  We spent a lot of money our first season back in the Prem (needed to because we had a tiny squad after promotion), but since then we're basically mid-table with our spending since.  During our first 2 seasons back in the Prem (19/20-20/21) we were 4th in the league in terms of total transfer spend and number 1 in terms of total net spend.  The past two seasons show quite differently...  We've been 9th in total fees spent in the last two seasons and 15th in net spend, and that includes the Grealish money.  Sure, maybe there were doubts with regard to Gerrard's managerial skills this summer and funds were held back, but something has changed and we aren't throwing money around like other clubs with "poorer" ownership.  Maybe FFP is hamstringing us more than we know or maybe we're seeing problems were there are none, but the one thing that is clear is that spending habits have changed recently.  

Thats fair enough but since summer 21 our wage bill has easily doubled. I think before that only Grealish was on 100k a week now we have Ings, Digne, Kamara, Coutinho, Carlos and maybe Emi as well on 100k plus

Wages are not as glamorous but costs more than transfer fees long term

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

How many of those will actually be good enough to play for Villa?

not sure but at least give them a go to see if they fail under a coach instead of binning straight away Gerrardstyle

It will be hard for us lot to see many players who we think can come through and star for us be sold as not good enough. There will be times in the future when some that we sell will go on to be real stars for other teams. The way our academy is being built up now there will be quite a few players that slip through the cracks. But as long as we get the majority of the decisions right then we will be fine. 

Emery said something very telling the other week. When the academy was mentioned he said that we have some really good coaches. Not players but coaches. We can have all the talent in the west mids coming through , but without the right people to develop them they will largely stagnate. 

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

What, like Traore, Guilbert and Wesley?

IS this a serious comment? Do you not think you can make good signings of people who are 25 and under? What kind of comment is this? That is just weird.

4 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

We’ve acted quickly in previous windows and got plenty wrong.

There is a difference between acting quickly and acting hastily, I believe we have acted in haste on many occations, and hence we signed over rated players. We had the whole period that the world cup was on to prepare an approach for the right players. Buying players at the start of the window is not a bad thing to do provided that enough forethought has hone in during the weeks before the window opens. We have new names of potential signings popping up that wasnt mentioned before this week where is the planing in that?

Edited by Podster

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

This is exactly what we did with Moreno. It wasn't broadcast on News at 10 but that's what did happen. No doubt he's not the only player Villa's scouts have been surveilling since November and December and perhaps before. 

I mean, that's a great policy. Who can seriously doubt you on that? Still, it's a policy idea, not a straitjacket, and when a square peg to the policy appears, who nonetheless is a round peg for another aspect of our squad, ie a great opportunity arises, we need to make exceptions. Moreno is that.

No problem with the exception but it's been the rule for the last few years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, I Make Pies said:

It's not just FFP. We have the new £100m+ North Stand to budget for. I don't know whether that is included in the FFP calculation or not as they have changed the rules recently, but it is certainly a lot of money to find. At least we are not £760m in the red like Everton are with their new stadium.

I have a feeling these value signings are going to be the norm in the short term, but once these youngsters start coming through that should put us in a stronger position financially. It may take a few years though before the academy investment pays off.

It isn't part of FFP

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not sure but at least give them a go to see if they fail under a coach instead of binning straight away Gerrardstyle

If they are good enough Emery will give them a chance, his record as you know proves this.