Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Forget Brighton. Let’s just hope we beat Wolves and discuss the situation on Sunday.

Most likely this will continue for a couple more weeks yet like this 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

But why would anyone think Brighton would take only 2 points from games against Man United, Man City, Arsenal and Newcastle in the first place?

Is nobody watching? They are a bloody good side and have ALREADY beaten that tally by a point after just ONE of those 4 games. 

We will not finish above Brighton and I'd be willing to bet anything you want on that.

So much so, that I'm not even looking at their results. We have to catch Spurs and try to finish 7th and that's basically all it comes down to. 

Someone might think that because Arsenal, Man City, Newcastle and Man Utd are 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the league. So they’re not bad teams either. Brighton can win both their games in hand and they would still have fewer points than those four. Therefore Brighton have not been as good as them over the season, so far. That’s why one may think that they would…or rather could only pick up two points from those four. 

As it is, they have three after the first of these difficult four. Damn. Man Utd at home was always the easiest of these four so was the one I was most worried about them winning. 

It is not a given we get our required points from Wolves, Spurs, Liverpool or indeed Brighton. Likewise it’s not a given Brighton won’t pick up a sufficient number of points against Man City, Arsenal and Newcastle. But the world and it’s dog also seem convinced that Brighton have already won the points against Everton and Southampton and I’m not seeing much in the way of disagreement there. Seems to accepted as a certainty.

On balance, there are a lot of results that will have to go our way in order to finish ahead of Brighton, maybe one too many.  But it’s still possible and until it’s not, people are going to speculate on it being achieved. That’s what happens on here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

But why would anyone think Brighton would take only 2 points from games against Man United, Man City, Arsenal and Newcastle in the first place?

Is nobody watching? They are a bloody good side and have ALREADY beaten that tally by a point after just ONE of those 4 games. 

We will not finish above Brighton and I'd be willing to bet anything you want on that.

So much so, that I'm not even looking at their results. We have to catch Spurs and try to finish 7th and that's basically all it comes down to. 

Because Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and Newcastle are the four best teams in the league, that's why. 

It's not inconceivable to think they could have had no wins in those four games, they were a 99th minute penalty away from only getting a point last night.  

• Like 1

I’m just in a place where I’ve been told that I’ve been pessimistic for the last two months or so and in the space of a week I’m the optimist yet my expectation hasn’t change and the results are what I’ve been expecting give or take.  Obviously some outliers there but points wise it’s tracking about expected.  Always thought Arsenal, City and Newcastle were the things that would dent Brighton, just got to wait and see if that happens. We have to beat Wolves though which I think we will.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Someone might think that because Arsenal, Man City, Newcastle and Man Utd are 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the league. So they’re not bad teams either. Brighton can win both their games in hand and they would still have fewer points than those four. Therefore Brighton have not been as good as them over the season, so far. That’s why one may think that they would…or rather could only pick up two points from those four. 

As it is, they have three after the first of these difficult four. Damn. Man Utd at home was always the easiest of these four so was the one I was most worried about them winning. 

It is not a given we get our required points from Wolves, Spurs, Liverpool or indeed Brighton. Likewise it’s not a given Brighton won’t pick up a sufficient number of points against Man City, Arsenal and Newcastle. But the world and it’s dog also seem convinced that Brighton have already won the points against Everton and Southampton and I’m not seeing much in the way of disagreement there. Seems to accepted as a certainty.

On balance, there are a lot of results that will have to go our way in order to finish ahead of Brighton, maybe one too many.  But it’s still possible and until it’s not, people are going to speculate on it being achieved. That’s what happens on here.

Yes and if people debate honestly then it's good to have the discussion. I just think we were coming from too far back this season to finish in the top 6 and I will be delighted with 8th.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Because Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal and Newcastle are the four best teams in the league, that's why. 

It's not inconceivable to think they could have had no wins in those four games, they were a 99th minute penalty away from only getting a point last night.  

Yep, but football doesn't always work like that amd Brighton are a very, very good side. And the point is, anyone who DID think Brighton would get just 2 points from those 4 is already wrong after just one of those games.

I'd never have expected them to get less than 3 points from those 4 games because I don't actually think the top 4 are all that good. I mean they are obviously good but not so good that a very good top 6 side wouldn't be likely to beat one or 2 of them over 4 games.

Edited by GlobalVillan

I’m going to get pelters for this and I know it’s been years since Europe and this is nothing about snobbery etc but I genuinely think without Europe we can get top 4 next season. So part of me will take 8th rather than 7th.

• Like 2

And so 8th it is. We'd need 3 wins to get 7th. Seems too unrealistic to win away to Wolves and beat both Spurs and Brighton

I just hope we hold onto 8th and don't end the season with a series of losses. Whatever happens hopefully we can get the win over Brighton end of the season 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yep, but football doesn't always work like that amd Brighton are a very, very good side. And the point is, anyone who DID think Brighton would get just 2 points from those 4 is already wrong after just one of those games.

I'd never have expected them to get less than 3 points from those 4 games because I don't actually think the top 4 are all that good. I mean they are obviously good but not so good that a very good top 6 side wouldn't be likely to beat one or 2 of them over 4 games.

They are a very good side, but I don't think they'll get any wins from City, Arsenal and Newcastle. So, if they manage to get a draw against one of them, the difference between people predictions of them only getting 2 points from those 4 is a 99th minute winning penalty against United.     

10 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

This is mental. 

We have the same points as Spurs.

The same number of games left as Spurs.

And still have to play... Spurs.

They've Palace Brentford and Leeds

We've Wolves Liverpool and Brighton 

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m going to get pelters for this and I know it’s been years since Europe and this is nothing about snobbery etc but I genuinely think without Europe we can get top 4 next season. So part of me will take 8th rather than 7th.

It’s not unreasonable.

I just worry that Liverpool will come back strong after a poor season but will have heavy investment and Chelsea just need to get in a good coach, ship out a few players and buy a striker, which both teams will do.  I think next season is going to be incredibly hard to crack Top 4.

• Like 1

As someone who has watched Brighton for 30 years, it really makes me feel so dirty that I was upset with a last minute winner against Man U. 

We better have our big boy pants on the last few games as we can surely try and finish above Spurs

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

And so 8th it is. We'd need 3 wins to get 7th. Seems too unrealistic to win away to Wolves and beat both Spurs and Brighton

I just hope we hold onto 8th and don't end the season with a series of losses. Whatever happens hopefully we can get the win over Brighton end of the season 

No 8th isn’t a fact!  Spurs are all over the place and while an easier fixture list, Palace are doing alright again, Brentford have the ability to beat them and who knows what Big Sam gets out of Leeds, they may have a new manager bounce.  If we beat Spurs at home, that’s likely to be the difference of who finishes above who out the two of us.  I think if we beat Wolves and Spurs, we’ll finish above Spurs whatever.

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

They've Palace Brentford and Leeds

We've Wolves Liverpool and Brighton 

Spurs have no defence currently, Palace are resurging, Brentford can score and are fairly solid and who knows what Leeds will be like under Big Sam.  Spurs concede goals for fun.

We have Emery and a solid defence and we can score…harder fixtures but better placed mentally and structurally as a team than Spurs.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1