Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

20 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

In terms of quality, it is small. 

I don’t agree, these are the same players people were lambasting for being shit.

They have quality they just haven’t been used correctly.

Win against NUFC and the only difference between us is their win against us. We are top 4 quality at the moment but with a lot of matches against higher placing teams. Not worried any more and confident we can get Europe. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

In terms of quality, it is small. 

I really dont think it is. Weve got Kamara, Cash and Coutinho out injured right now, and I looked down at our subs training together pre kick off Saturday, and saw Dendonker, Traore, Chambers, Digne, Duran etc. Its pretty strong for a team who is looking to finish top half. All our best young players are out on loan too. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, duke313 said:

A draw with Newcastle and win vs Brentford in our next two games, I’d be happy enough.

We can beat Newcastle.  They have a fabulous record but so do we and player for player we can match them.  It’s a fairly even game both in terms of quality and form.

29 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I don’t agree, these are the same players people were lambasting for being shit.

They have quality they just haven’t been used correctly.

My fear is that some of them are playing above their potential. And it will not last too long. Remember, we have not really splashed big cash on any player yet. Yes, we pay 20-25 mill pounds for some of them, but I think it would be remarkable if all of those turned out to be +40-50 mill players, which are the price for quality that will fight in Europe.

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We can beat Newcastle.  They have a fabulous record but so do we and player for player we can match them.  It’s a fairly even game both in terms of quality and form.

We can, but they can also beat us. A draw wouldn't be the worst result.

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

We can, but they can also beat us. A draw wouldn't be the worst result.

I agree but shouldn’t fear the game or play for a draw.  I’m sure Emery is planning for the win.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I agree but shouldn’t fear the game or play for a draw.  I’m sure Emery is planning for the win.

I'm not saying we should play for a draw, just that it might be a draw, and wouldn't be the worst result if it was.

38 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Win against NUFC and the only difference between us is their win against us. We are top 4 quality at the moment but with a lot of matches against higher placing teams. Not worried any more and confident we can get Europe. 

Another consideration is our depth mate.

We are already down a couple of important players and showed some signs of fatigue the other day.

We shall see though.

What's crap is that, if we never started so badly, we would probably be in a position where we could drop some points and still be comfortable in our position.

As some have said though, this run does have a resemblance to our mad Championship dash under Deano in the promo season

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

My fear is that some of them are playing above their potential. And it will not last too long. Remember, we have not really splashed big cash on any player yet. Yes, we pay 20-25 mill pounds for some of them, but I think it would be remarkable if all of those turned out to be +40-50 mill players, which are the price for quality that will fight in Europe.

Watkins is, no one else is.

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We are already down a couple of important players and showed some signs of fatigue the other day.

We shall see though.

What's crap is that, if we never started so badly, we would probably be in a position where we could drop some points and still be comfortable in our position.

As some have said though, this run does have a resemblance to our mad Championship dash under Deano in the promo season

I don’t think it was fatigue, I saw it as Forest just playing differently against us and we had to adapt.  Forest paid us too much respect and we aren’t used to that.  

Even if it was fatigue, the rest of the season is spread out to one game per week apart from one Tuesday game so unlike this 3 game week we should be fine and we’ll have both Cashy, Kamara and Coutinho back soon, and assume Carlos is getting fitter by the day and Duran is getting much fitter and coached well the more days go by.

Brighton are the ones that are going to struggle with fatigue, they could have 12 games to our 8 games left, with a similarly small sized squad.

• Like 2

Those saying we have a big squad in terms of quality need to remember what happens if either Mings or Martinez ever miss a game. 

Now I know any team misses their best players but I think many of those recent wins by the one goal margin turn to draws or even defeats. 

Our squad isn’t massive and we have a few key players injured.  We can’t afford to lose anymore of the starting 11 for this run in.

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We shall see though.

Yeah we've been lucky with injuries - could have gone very wrong. Still could. But there's something galvanising about the run in, and the confidence we now have, and teh form of individual players - they look like they believe they can do it and that'll get us points where before we'd get none. I'd have no problems if we lost more than we won of the remaining games, but if I was a betting man I'd be betting on us.