Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

26 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Of course we can beat top sides, anybody can beat anybody in the PL on their day, but can we do it consistently? We’re about to find out.

We’re about to play teams who are having as good as or better seasons than us. They’re up there for a reason.

The next two games are massive, Newcastle have only failed to get any points in two away games (City & Liverpool) and Brentford have only been beaten twice at home (Arsenal & Newcastle). We could easily get no points in those games.

The good thing is they are just as worried about us as we are about them as they will have seen that only Arsenal and City have a better form record than us since Emery arrived and we have won 6 out of the last 7.

2 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Liverpool got a good run in. Think they will take 6th. Us and Brighton to fight it out for 7th.  

Who knows! Liverpool tend to only turn up for the big games like yesterday, I’d be more worried if they had a harder run in, their players seem to need something to get up for.  The Xhaka incident seem to change the game and then their fans and players decided to turn up.  Before that they looked feeble.  Keep them quiet and non-interesting game and they struggle.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Who knows! Liverpool tend to only turn up for the big games like yesterday, I’d be more worried if they had a harder run in, their players seem to need something to get up for.  The Xhaka incident seem to change the game and then their fans and players decided to turn up.  Before that they looked feeble.  Keep them quiet and non-interesting game and they struggle.

Yes but surely the ‘massive’ Kop are always worth a goal head start or even two on those special European nights under the lights 

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m hoping Brighton get to the FA cup final so start having eyes on that game.  

Ultimately it’s in our hand and I think we need to be better than the we have been in the last 2 games to continue our good run considering the opponents.

Really interesting to see how we do against Newcastle who are flying at the moment.

Don't want the season to end with us in 7th, Brighton in 8th, and them in the FA Cup final!

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brighton getting to final has to be good for us though doesn’t it?

Not if they’re sitting in 8th and us in 7th. If they win it, then they get Europa League, 6th Europa Conference, and is in 7th nothing.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Not if they’re sitting in 8th and us in 7th. If they win it, then they get Europa League, 6th Europa Conference, and is in 7th nothing.

Oh of course ! I wasn't thinking of that. I don’t think they would beat City in a final but they will be more likely to lose to us last game of the season with a final the following week.

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Oh of course ! I wasn't thinking of that. I don’t think they would beat City in a final but they will be more likely to lose to us last game of the season with a final the following week.

Win on final day and we could still have a good chance of 6th.

4 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Honestly our next defeat is going to hit me hard ! 
have gotten so used to winning now that I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle it

what has emery done to me - I used to be a pro at watching villa get beat

What is this “defeat” thing you talk about? I have no knowledge of it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was at Anfield yesterday and thought they were very good in the 2nd half and really should have won it. Even the crowd was up for it as the atmosphere was surprisingly very good.

There seems to be a belief amongst their fan base that they can go unbeaten throughout the rest of the season and whilst I'm not sure they'll do that, I fully expect them to kick on and qualify for Europe. 

It was always going to be a tough ask to qualify for Europe from where we were when Emery came in and so if we end up 8th or 9th, that'd be quite a brilliant turnaround.

I've never really thought we were in the race and in a way we are in a false position given other teams games in hand, but we are definitely in the mix. Even that is a huge surprise, whether we get there or not.

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

I was at Anfield yesterday and thought they were very good in the 2nd half and really should have won it. Even the crowd was up for it as the atmosphere was surprisingly very good.

There seems to be a belief amongst their fan base that they can go unbeaten throughout the rest of the season and whilst I'm not sure they'll do that, I fully expect them to kick on and qualify for Europe. 

It was always going to be a tough ask to qualify for Europe from where we were when Emery came in and so if we end up 8th or 9th, that'd be quite a brilliant turnaround.

I've never really thought we were in the race and in a way we are in a false position given other teams games in hand, but we are definitely in the mix. Even that is a huge surprise, whether we get there or not.

I’m fully expecting them to go out and lose 1-0 to Leeds in their next match. Saying that they have an easy run in, mostly teams below them, they’ll probably go on a run and get 6th.

Our best chance of Europe is to try and stay in front of Brighton.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I’m fully expecting them to go out and lose 1-0 to Leeds in their next match. Saying that they have an easy run in, mostly teams below them, they’ll probably go on a run and get 6th.

Our best chance of Europe is to try and stay in front of Brighton.

Brighton have 2 games in hand and would go ahead of us with just 1 point from those. If they win them both then we'd be 5 points behind them. Very tough.

I don't think Liverpool will lose to Leeds either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

Brighton have 2 games in hand and would go ahead of us with just 1 point from those. If they win them both then we'd be 5 points behind them. Very tough.

The games in hand are against Newcastle and Man Utd, very good chance they get nothing from them games.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The games in hand are against Newcastle and Man Utd, very good chance they get nothing from them games.

Yes but we also have to play Newcastle and Man United. Unless maybe they play them twice?

1 hour ago, Villa87 said:

Liverpool got a good run in. Think they will take 6th. Us and Brighton to fight it out for 7th.  

As someone else noted earlier, we can't even be surely if Liverpool having a " good run in " is a thing this season.

They are so all over the place and unpredictable.

They can spank Man U 7 and then get turned over by lower opposition so who knows?

Once of our issues is goal difference vs the top teams though.

I still realistically think we will be 8th, with 7th possible as well.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yeah after the euphoria we've got to throw some realism in, which some people don't want to accept.

Until we are level on games with our closest rivals we can't reliably predict anythings.

But based on the form of the likes of Brighton they aren't just going to fall off a cliff.

• Like 2