Memories of the European Cup 1982

Corleone

Unfortunately i was to young to be able to attend the match but i remember watching on the TV at home and giving my parents a heart attack when i leapt from the sofa and landed  in front of the TV on my knees after Peter White scored in the 67th Minute and then the 23 minutes that followed whic seemed like days

At the tender age of 11 i wasn't fully conversant with the offside rule so when Bayern scored what i thought was the equaliser it took me a couple of minutes before i realised that we were still winning and then when Cowans put the ball in the net in the last minute i celebrated again in a similar fashion to the first goal.

I can remember the build up the to the game and the feeling of trepidation  / knowing that we were the overwhelming underdogs, i even remember having a weird dream the night before where i set up one of my 11 year old school classmates in the final against Bayern but we lost 4-1😜

I can even remember going out to play football before tea time with a knot in my stomach and a feeling of impending doom even though i had only started following villa the year before at the start of the championship winning season and as a result only been used to us winning.

What are your recollections of the match and the day?

Mods feel free to delete this thread if it already exists elsewhere but i couldnt find it on the search

Edited by Corleone
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the day we won the Euro cup I kicked a ball for the first time - mind you my dad wasn’t too happy I clocked him in the nut sack , I was 6 months old.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Feels like yesterday...what a great trip....great memories.

I remember getting the piss ripped out of me, for taking my pillow, on the Villa Coach.

During the trip, particularly on the way back, could have rented it out......everybody wanted an hour on it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Apparently the day we won the Euro cup I kicked a ball for the first time - mind you my dad wasn’t too happy I clocked him in the nut sack , I was 6 months old.

You should have had a place in the academy just for your power and accuracy. 😂

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, TRO said:

Feels like yesterday...what a great trip....great memories.

I remember getting the piss ripped out of me, for taking my pillow, on the Villa Coach.

During the trip, particularly on the way back, could have rented it out......everybody wanted an hour on it.

Well prepared.  But you deserve all the stick!

• Haha 1

I was 11 at the time but vividly remember sitting in the living room with my dad (now sadly an HEITS) and watching the final on TV, and both of us jumping around like fools when the goal went in and again at the final whistle.

One memory i do have, and time plays tricks on the memory, so I'm hoping someone can confirm this - but there was an advert after the game where Davenports congratulated the Villa on winning the European Cup.

• Like 2

I was just beginning my love affair with football and Villa.

I hadn’t attended a live match (Dad was unemployed which was not unusual in 1982) but watched anything I could on TV and played every chance I got.

I was actually on a Coca Cola super skills(remember them?) class at my local park and the coach finished early so we could get back to watch that game.

I don’t remember much about it tbf Nigel Spink coming on and doing a lap of the living room followed by a very strange press up type celebration in front of the tv when we scored before being told to settle down it’s only football!

At the time I thought Villa winning stuff was normal…the naivety of youth eh.

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 2

Watching the bt sports film the thing which stands out is the culture and mindset.

if I was interviewed outside Villa Park for the pre season expectations for the forthcoming season and said that I want us to win the title if get laughed at. 

It’s all the manager, squad etc talked about the few years leading up to it. 

Fantastic mentality.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Watching the bt sports film the thing which stands out is the culture and mindset.

if I was interviewed outside Villa Park for the pre season expectations for the forthcoming season and said that I want us to win the title if get laughed at. 

Fantastic mentality.

& only 10 years before that we had been in Division 3. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John said:

& only 10 years before that we had been in Division 3. 

Looking through our history we haven’t half underachieved. When the premier league started we were second behind Liverscum for trophies won. We were first for so long until their Vernon Pools sugar daddy came and helped them dominate. 

10 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Fantastic mentality.

I don't know a load about Ron Saunders, but the bits I've seen of him, he oozed calm confidence. Didn't want to please or live up to anyone, just focused on his squad. Get many SAF vibes from him.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I don't know a load about Ron Saunders, but the bits I've seen of him, he oozed calm confidence. Didn't want to please or live up to anyone, just focused on his squad. Get many SAF vibes from him.

Definitely. If he had stayed I think the 80’s would have been us v Everton and Liverscum. Alas sigh.

• Like 1

Â