Memories of the European Cup 1982

Corleone

On 20/05/2022 at 23:28, wookster said:

I cant remember whether this was between the final whistle and trophy ceremony or at the end of the show, it was a Villa fan running down the road and into a pub cheering "we won" then a big message across the screen saying congratulation from Davenports brewery

You are quite correct, bloke said to his dog they have done it then lad as they make the way to the pub

• Like 2

On 21/05/2022 at 16:08, slovenian said:

found Super Villans on little streams, able to watch it outside of uk... imagine that, disgusting

send me a message if you share a same disgust

It’s all round to your place then with a few beers. I’ll tell you how disgusted I am when I get there. 

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

What a marvellous achievement for the club which should never be forgotten.

It would also be nice if some day a new generation of Villa players could win a major trophy. I live in hope.

It’ll happen.

On 07/05/2022 at 22:48, Corleone said:

Unfortunately i was to young to be able to attend the match but i remember watching on the TV at home and giving my parents a heart attack when i leapt from the sofa and landed  in front of the TV on my knees after Peter White scored in the 67th Minute and then the 23 minutes that followed whic seemed like days

At the tender age of 11 i wasn't fully conversant with the offside rule so when Bayern scored what i thought was the equaliser it took me a couple of minutes before i realised that we were still winning and then when Cowans put the ball in the net in the last minute i celebrated again in a similar fashion to the first goal.

I can remember the build up the to the game and the feeling of trepidation  / knowing that we were the overwhelming underdogs, i even remember having a weird dream the night before where i set up one of my 11 year old school classmates in the final against Bayern but we lost 4-1😜

I can even remember going out to play football before tea time with a knot in my stomach and a feeling of impending doom even though i had only started following villa the year before at the start of the championship winning season and as a result only been used to us winning.

What are your recollections of the match and the day?

Mods feel free to delete this thread if it already exists elsewhere but i couldnt find it on the search

I was 8 years old and like you had only started following Villa the season before. As I was so young I can't remember it very well but I do remember watching the game in my living room and Spink replacing Rimmer early on. Though I was a very recent Villa fan and only 8 I ended up feeling a lot of tension and the emotion overcame me... I remember feeling so nervous at some point in the middle of the game that I ran away! 😅 I ran upstairs to my room and then decided to listen to the commentary on my radio for a while, I guess this seemed a bit less unbearable. But then I was brave enough to go back downstairs to resume watching, fortunately in time for the goal and the rest of that incredible match.

I just watched the When Lions Roared documentary on the OS, wow, it's brilliant. 🙂Spinksy's so funny. What an absolute legend. 

• Like 1

On 21/05/2022 at 09:15, DaveAV1 said:

The Super Villans BT Sport film sounds wonderful but I don’t have BT Sport. The tragedy is that it wasn’t made 40 years ago. Our tremendous achievements in 1981 and ‘82 were largely ignored by the national broadcaster and the press in general. Shamefully this was made easy for them by our former chairman Doug “Mr Aston Villa” Ellis who tried to write those years out of our history. 

You couldn’t even buy a dvd of the final at the club shop or anywhere else until Lerner took over. He, Lerner, even said he was amazed at the lack of reference to us being European Champions at Villa Park. Not a single picture on the walls, nothing. We finally had a European Cup reunion day, which if I recall was before a game against Sheffield Utd. The atmosphere was fantastic and on the back of that we blew them away and won 3-0 I think. 

Ellis did good things for us and bad. However of all the criticisms against Ellis and there are many, trying to write off 1981/82 is unforgivable. The fact that we had nothing to celebrate this but had a bloody stand with his name across it is all the more annoying. Any new development to Villa Park should include the renaming of the Witton Lane stand either for corporate advantage or to celebrate someone more deserving. Anything is better than what it is now. Holding us back for decades is bad enough but denying our greatest moments can’t ever be forgiven and in my opinion, cancels out anything he ever did good for us. 

Bang on point in everything you say there.  I don't think there's anyone associated with Aston Villa that would object to the re-naming of the Witton Lane stand (as I've always called it and always will unless it's renamed).  We have four stands at Villa Park and only one is named after a person - and he was universally disliked by 90% of the fanbase.  Horrendous. 

Edited by FLVillan
grammar mistake
  • Like 1

I'd be curious to see the stats for the match, I don't think the media provided that in those days... I watched the whole game again last year and perhaps they had about 70% possession? I'm guessing they may have had about 15 attempts with half of them on target whereas maybe we had about 4 with 2 on target? At the end of the day though, we deserved to win because of our keeper, our great defensive effort and, in my opinion, the best attacking move of the match (absolutely briliant from both Shaw and Morley).

Just been to the supermarket and a guy commented on the 82 top I wearing. Got chatting and he was telling about being there, and then asked if I was there. 

Im 43. Obviously I’ve not aged too well 🤣

On 19/05/2022 at 15:01, Sulberto21 said:

Looking through our history we haven’t half underachieved. When the premier league started we were second behind Liverscum for trophies won. We were first for so long until their Vernon Pools sugar daddy came and helped them dominate. 

Time to catch up…….

• Like 1

Â