Memories of the European Cup 1982

Corleone

16 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I don't know a load about Ron Saunders, but the bits I've seen of him, he oozed calm confidence. Didn't want to please or live up to anyone, just focused on his squad. Get many SAF vibes from him.

A single-minded man who knew what we wanted.  Wasn't afraid to make big decisions (selling John Gidman and Andy Gray for example) and emphasized fitness, hard work and team shape.  He didn't want superstars, he wanted hard-working footballers.  When he bought Peter Withe as Gray's replacement nobody saw it as a good signing - but he was 100% correct that Withe was the final piece of the jigsaw - perfect target man and foil for the nippy Gary Shaw.  He was brilliant with the media (stone faced and never got emotional - Bill Belichick is his modern equivalent).  Only Ferguson since has run a club the same way as Ron ran the Villa and Clough ran Forest.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I cant remember whether this was between the final whistle and trophy ceremony or at the end of the show, it was a Villa fan running down the road and into a pub cheering "we won" then a big message across the screen saying congratulation from Davenports brewery

On 07/05/2022 at 22:48, Corleone said:

At the tender age of 11 i wasn't fully conversant with the offside rule so when Bayern scored what i thought was the equaliser it took me a couple of minutes before i realised that we were still winning and then when Cowans put the ball in the net in the last minute i celebrated again in a similar fashion to the first goal.

I don't remember that bit.

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The Super Villans BT Sport film sounds wonderful but I don’t have BT Sport. The tragedy is that it wasn’t made 40 years ago. Our tremendous achievements in 1981 and ‘82 were largely ignored by the national broadcaster and the press in general. Shamefully this was made easy for them by our former chairman Doug “Mr Aston Villa” Ellis who tried to write those years out of our history. 

You couldn’t even buy a dvd of the final at the club shop or anywhere else until Lerner took over. He, Lerner, even said he was amazed at the lack of reference to us being European Champions at Villa Park. Not a single picture on the walls, nothing. We finally had a European Cup reunion day, which if I recall was before a game against Sheffield Utd. The atmosphere was fantastic and on the back of that we blew them away and won 3-0 I think. 

Ellis did good things for us and bad. However of all the criticisms against Ellis and there are many, trying to write off 1981/82 is unforgivable. The fact that we had nothing to celebrate this but had a bloody stand with his name across it is all the more annoying. Any new development to Villa Park should include the renaming of the Witton Lane stand either for corporate advantage or to celebrate someone more deserving. Anything is better than what it is now. Holding us back for decades is bad enough but denying our greatest moments can’t ever be forgiven and in my opinion, cancels out anything he ever did good for us. 

I'm assuming Ellis tried to do that as we won it while he was absent?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Ellis did good things for us and bad. However of all the criticisms against Ellis and there are many, trying to write off 1981/82 is unforgivable. The fact that we had nothing to celebrate this but had a bloody stand with his name across it is all the more annoying. Any new development to Villa Park should include the renaming of the Witton Lane stand either for corporate advantage or to celebrate someone more deserving. Anything is better than what it is now. Holding us back for decades is bad enough but denying our greatest moments can’t ever be forgiven and in my opinion, cancels out anything he ever did good for us. 

I worked as a blazer boy on corporate lounges from mid to late 90s and used to see Ellis on occasions. Every time I did, he'd be talking to a full time staff member scurrying alongside him, with such an attitude that would take my breath away. He owned the club so what were we mere mortals going to do - answer back ? He was no one's fool with skin tough as a rhino, so forget all this cuddly uncy doug the media portrayed.

So, for his arrogance in not recognising our Club's massive achievement ( we ruled half the soccer world) and then naming a stand after himself (then getting Lerner to agree not to change it) I am hardly going to stick up for him ever.

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Yes that was absolutely his motivation. Add to that the speed at which that great team was dismantled after his return and you can see exactly what was going on. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yes that was absolutely his motivation. Add to that the speed at which that great team was dismantled after his return and you can see exactly what was going on. 

Really sad tbh

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The Super Villans BT Sport film sounds wonderful but I don’t have BT Sport. The tragedy is that it wasn’t made 40 years ago. Our tremendous achievements in 1981 and ‘82 were largely ignored by the national broadcaster and the press in general. Shamefully this was made easy for them by our former chairman Doug “Mr Aston Villa” Ellis who tried to write those years out of our history. 

You couldn’t even buy a dvd of the final at the club shop or anywhere else until Lerner took over. He, Lerner, even said he was amazed at the lack of reference to us being European Champions at Villa Park. Not a single picture on the walls, nothing. We finally had a European Cup reunion day, which if I recall was before a game against Sheffield Utd. The atmosphere was fantastic and on the back of that we blew them away and won 3-0 I think. 

I was at the reunion evening at Villa Park too and you're right, we did beat the Blades 3-0 on the following day. The players were really happy to have been recognised by the club for what they had done for us at long last. The players were happy to talk to me and my mates, and had a smile for everyone. I particularly remember talking to Jimmy Rimmer, who told me that he hadn't really done much in the final itself, unlike the other players who were there (something that he admitted, he had problems in coming to terms after coming off, during the Super Villans film as a tear welled up in his eye). I'm really pleased that I said to him that night, that we wouldn't have been at the final, had it not been for his performances in the earlier rounds and in winning us the league, during the previous season to qualify for the competition. I then said I'd like his autograph, but only had the admission ticket for the night with me (talk about being unprepared!), but he gave me a smile and told me that he'd be happy to sign that and posed for a photograph with me, taken by one of my mates. Just like the rest of the team, Jimmy was a great player and he's a really nice bloke, I've still got both the photograph and the autograph by the way:)

image.jpeg.85e6bd72fdb92637d57c73bc959fb42c.jpeg image.jpeg.924259e58bddc45aafb14e8b3da8858a.jpeg How Aston Villa won the European Cup (and were then relegated five years  later) | Aston Villa | The Guardian

• Like 2

found Super Villans on little streams, able to watch it outside of uk... imagine that, disgusting

send me a message if you share a same disgust

Edited by slovenian

23 minutes ago, John said:

I was at the reunion evening at Villa Park too and you're right, we did beat the Blades 3-0 on the following day. The players were really happy to have been recognised by the club for what they had done for us at long last. The players were happy to talk to me and my mates, and had a smile for everyone. I particularly remember talking to Jimmy Rimmer, who told me that he hadn't really done much in the final itself, unlike the other players who were there (something that he admitted, he had problems in coming to terms after coming off, during the Super Villans film as a tear welled up in his eye). I'm really pleased that I said to him that night, that we wouldn't have been at the final, had it not been for his performances in the earlier rounds and in winning us the league, during the previous season to qualify for the competition. I then said I'd like his autograph, but only had the admission ticket for the night with me (talk about being unprepared!), but he gave me a smile and told me that he'd be happy to sign that and posed for a photograph with me, taken by one of my mates. Just like the rest of the team, Jimmy was a great player and he's a really nice bloke, I've still got both the photograph and the autograph by the way:)

image.jpeg.85e6bd72fdb92637d57c73bc959fb42c.jpeg image.jpeg.924259e58bddc45aafb14e8b3da8858a.jpeg How Aston Villa won the European Cup (and were then relegated five years  later) | Aston Villa | The Guardian

Jimmy was a great goalie and great bloke. He lived in Walmley  and my mate was his paper boy. He always said he was a giant and if he ever came to the door he filled the frame. He was also friendly and very generous. Christmas tips for paperboys back then were about 50p or a pound if you were lucky. Jimmy used to give him a fiver!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think this was O'Neill who said that and put the photos back up

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tom13 said:

yes....Grade 1 Narcissist.

Yet he did instill discipline in the staff at B6....Something Lerner failed to do.

but his treatment of the famous win was despicable.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went to all the home games that season but the final was a few days before my GCSE’s so I didn’t go because I thought they were more important.

I got that so wrong.You can retake exams the next year but Villa getting to a European Cup Final,that might not happen again in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Â