Gran Turismo 7

hogso

Out on Friday, reviews are very positive, lauding it as a return to the series routes (geddit) on PS1, but with a raft of genuine 'next gen' enhancements. Some going so far as to suggest it is the best GT ever. 

Behold the DF review

Interesting how they've dealt with ray tracing; it's available at 30 FPS in non-gameplay modes (replays, cut scenes and such), but gameplay is at native 4K at 60FPS with no RT. I'm sure I've mentioned on here before how, when seeing GT 3 on PS2 for the first time, I couldn't imagine any game ever looking better than that graphically. Well, get a load of this.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, hogso said:

Out on Friday, reviews are very positive, lauding it as a return to the series routes (geddit) on PS1, but with a raft of genuine 'next gen' enhancements. Some going so far as to suggest it is the best GT ever. 

Behold the DF review

Interesting how they've dealt with ray tracing; it's available at 30 FPS in non-gameplay modes (replays, cut scenes and such), but gameplay is at native 4K at 60FPS with no RT. I'm sure I've mentioned on here before how, when seeing GT 3 on PS2 for the first time, I couldn't imagine any game ever looking better than that graphically. Well, get a load of this.

Oh wow, it looks great. GT3 was definitely the last game that made you sit up and take notice visually. I've only just started playing GT5 (my backlog is a couple of generations behind at this point), and it definitely feels like something was missing. It's good to see it's going back to its routes. I love the RPG elements of GT just as much as the racing simulation (which I'm not so big on as I was when I was a teenager who couldn't drive).

Edited by Keyblade
  • Like 2

cafe mode sounds like the perfect game for me as someone who doesnt actually like racing games but wants to collect the cars, im with keyblade its the RPG elements that draw me in to GT 

seems like its got a near off putting amount of depth to it and the main criticisms i've seen have been for car selections (gamespot moaned they dont have enough new cars in it but im the opposite, i want old cars, especially ones that i've owned before, i dont want a 2022 911 turbo s i want a vauxhall nova and the ability to stick a new exhaust on it) and the music choices

i should pick it up monday and have it as a side to horizon 

• Like 1

I liked Sport a lot but it wasn’t what I play GT for. 7 is going to have to be something truly special to beat GT4 imo. 4 is still the pinnacle of racing games for me, it’s sublime. It’ll be a while before I find out for myself though seeing as PS5’s are the rarest thing in the **** universe. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I liked Sport a lot but it wasn’t what I play GT for.

It was definitely aimed at the competitive online part of the game, for sure. 

If GT7 can take that element of it, and add the same sort of quality to the rest of the game, then it'll be fantastic

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

GT Sport is the best racing game I've ever played, so if GT7 builds on that then I'm very interested!

Could be the reason I finally get a PS5

one review i watched kind of suggested a new GT sport mode is like a tacked on bit, or that cafe is the tacked on bit, or this mode, or that mode...that's how big this game is, 97 i think it is tracks, "only" 400 something cars (which hopefully they'll support with DLC but im not sure what GTs history is like for that)

meant to be a monster

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

one review i watched kind of suggested a new GT sport mode is like a tacked on bit, or that cafe is the tacked on bit, or this mode, or that mode...that's how big this game is, 97 i think it is tracks, "only" 400 something cars (which hopefully they'll support with DLC but im not sure what GTs history is like for that)

meant to be a monster

Having watched some videos on it, the multiplayer looks exactly the same as GT Sport. Which is absolutely a good thing.

Be interesting to see how they've transitioned the penalty system though. It's necessary, but at times could be incredibly frustrating on GT Sport

36 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's got the lowest user scores for any game? 

Not looking great. 

There's one of them things against it where everyone votes it down on purpose, apparently they've patched it in the last week reducing the credits that you win after each race meaning that you have to grind more to get the car that you want or you can do the microtransactions 

Personally I haven't played enough of it yet to see any difference, I sure as hell won't be buying anything in game, some people might get pissed off at the idea that the porsche they really want costs £5 but that isn't a thing for me 

34 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's got the lowest user scores for any game? 

Not looking great. 

A series of events has lead to that.

Firstly it needs to be stated that the user score has nothing to do with the on-track racing, or almost anything to do with the main GT Café campaign. Gran Turismo 7 is arguably the greatest Gran Turismo of all time if we factor in quality of the car models, accuracy of the simulation and everything else that has been improved since Gran Turismo 6.

Where it all falls apart is in how the game was handled post-launch. 

Gran Turismo 7 was sent to reviewers without the microtransactions implemented. So every review from a critic talks of a game that is very good, and of a game that is very liberal with free cars and credits. If you play the GT Café and nothing else you won't think anything is wrong. The issue is everything outside of GT Café is tuned around the credits people can buy with real money. For instance some cars are 20 million credits, which is 20 hours of grinding the game efficiently, or 40 hours if you're not playing efficiently, or you could just give Polyphony £150. 2 million credits costs $19.99 (I couldn't find the UK price in a quick Google search), but you need to buy 10x 2 million to buy that 20 million car, or you grind 40 hours for it, but that car isn't just a car, it likely has a 10 million engine upgrade and a 15 million body kit upgrade. Now there are more affordable cars in the game for sure, but if you're a car collector then you're looking at potentially thousands of hours just to get 50% of cars in the game, or you're looking at tens of thousands of pounds if you use real money. 

It gets worse though. The game also has a roulette which you earn tickets to enter. You earn these tickets either by driving at least 26.2 miles per day which is part of the "Daily Workout", or you get them throughout the course of the GT Café campaign. This roulette largely offers the player the lowest reward possible, but on the occasion that it does give the player something good, that something good could still be something bad. The roulette has something called "invitations" and these invitations grant the player the ability to buy an expensive car. These cars can't be bought any other way than with an invitation from the roulette. Now you don't get the car at a discount or anything like that, it is merely a time limited chance to buy a specific car for 2-3+ million credits. So not only is this game utilising grindy free to play systems, but its roulette throws FOMO (fear of missing out) mechanics at the player too. 

I wish that was the end of it though. A recent update lowered the rewards for 16 different events. So not only was the grind already free to play levels of absurd, it has now gotten worse because rewards were cut by 50%. So not only is Gran Turismo 7 a £70 game with free to play mechanics, but it seems to be deliberately guiding players towards spending real money on buying these cars. 

Gran Turismo 7 is a great game that is being held back by greed. If this is the future of PlayStation Studios games then we're in for a rough ride.

• Shocked 1

That's the last 10 years of gaming in a nutshell.

Everyone moaned about "premium" in battlefield, costing £40, but at least you knew where you stood, and there was no bullshit that came after you'd paid it.

48 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Gran Turismo 7 is a great game that is being held back by greed. If this is the future of PlayStation Studios games then we're in for a rough ride.

Not sure which other games don't could apply it to though, which might be why they've hit GT so hard

Destiny players might be worried 

Again, personally I don't get it, a car costs £150 in real money... Just don't get that car... But at the same time I doubt I'll ever venture outside of cafe mode so it'll be interesting to see how this actually impacts me 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure which other games don't could apply it to though, which might be why they've hit GT so hard

Destiny players might be worried 

Again, personally I don't get it, a car costs £150 in real money... Just don't get that car... But at the same time I doubt I'll ever venture outside of cafe mode so it'll be interesting to see how this actually impacts me 

Sony have 10 live service games in development to release before 2025. Their focus is already slowly turning towards always-online/multiplayer. This new microtransaction push likely won't affect Spider-Man 2, or Wolverine, or God of War 2, but it will likely affect most if not all of the currently unannounced live service games. Gran Turismo 7 might be considered as one of those live service games, Sony haven't delved into it much since making their future intentions clear. 

The issue of a game tuned around the microtransactions is less about "just don't buy the car", and more about how much the deck is stacked against the player that refuses to buy in. A McLaren F1 '94 in Gran Turismo 6 costs 1 million credits. That exact same car in Gran Turismo 7 is 18.5 million credits (1750% increase in cost). This isn't about the car. This is about Polyphony changing things in a game with microtransactions to make the grind deliberately longer. Now you may not be someone that is easily lead by these psychological systems which is great, but the game is still worse for everyone because of the microtransactions. 

This is a game that people bought for £70 that is likely incompletable for car collectors. This is a game that removed the ability to sell cars because that would speed up the acquisition of the cars enthusiasts want to own. This is a game that has increased the cost of some cars by 1750% between iterations of the game. It is very easy to not buy credits with real money, but in the end the people that don't buy in will likely struggle to meet any car acquisition goals they set for themselves, unless the cars they want are the cheaper cars. GT Café is definitely the game at its best and I'm glad you're enjoying that, but outside of that mode it's a mess right now and the fans are justifiably not happy.

Â