Gran Turismo 7

hogso

• 3 months later...

Bought GT7 a while ago now, and I must say that while I played it for a week or so, I soon dropped it. 

For a 'Driving Simulator' it just has so many things that break immersion. The fact that there is no qualifying. Baffling. The cars are perfect, but no racing series in the world would in real life just start you last every race. 

Then you realise that they do this to up the challenge because the AI is garbage. 

It's barely evolved in terms of features and implementation since GT2 released in 1999 (which I loved at the time btw), aside from ray traced petrol caps, and 4k rendered gear knobs. 

Hell even Circuit Superstars, a knockabout budget racing game on PSN is way more advanced in terms of qualifying and pitstops. 

When you step back from it it's so, so disappointing. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Bought GT7 a while ago now, and I must say that while I played it for a week or so, I soon dropped it. 

For a 'Driving Simulator' it just has so many things that break immersion. The fact that there is no qualifying. Baffling. The cars are perfect, but no racing series in the world would in real life just start you last every race. 

Then you realise that they do this to up the challenge because the AI is garbage. 

It's barely evolved in terms of features and implementation since GT2 released in 1999 (which I loved at the time btw), aside from ray traced petrol caps, and 4k rendered gear knobs. 

Hell even Circuit Superstars, a knockabout budget racing game on PSN is way more advanced in terms of qualifying and pitstops. 

When you step back from it it's so, so disappointing. 

Online Multiplayer is unreal on GT7 (as it was on GT Sport) but I don't think much of the single player at all. I got very bored very quickly

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Online Multiplayer is unreal on GT7 (as it was on GT Sport) but I don't think much of the single player at all. I got very bored very quickly

Yeah, I don't really do multiplayer games. I don't really want to spend my time being called a c*** by a 12 year old in Ohio.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Yeah, I don't really do multiplayer games. I don't really want to spend my time being called a c*** by a 12 year old in Ohio.

It's probably worth a go on GT. There's no voice chat and there's a pretty strict penalty system so the races are relatively clean (it's by no means perfect but it's a lot better than most racing games)

Races have qualifying (either using your best time from time trials that you can do at any time or some have proper 10 minute qualy sessions), pit stops, grid starts, tyre and fuel strategies etc. It's really very very good

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It's probably worth a go on GT. There's no voice chat and there's a pretty strict penalty system so the races are relatively clean (it's by no means perfect but it's a lot better than most racing games)

Races have qualifying (either using your best time from time trials that you can do at any time or some have proper 10 minute qualy sessions), pit stops, grid starts, tyre and fuel strategies etc. It's really very very good

Aaaalllrrriiiiight. Under duress I'll give it a go. 

• Like 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

Aaaalllrrriiiiight. Under duress I'll give it a go. 

Go for the daily races (confusingly named because they are available for a week!)

Race A is usually a short, gimmicky sort of race. Like everyone will have to drive the same car, or it'll be go karts or something.
Race B is usually a short but "normal" race, i.e. you'll be able to use any car from a certain class but there won't be pitstops etc
Race C is usually a longer race (10-15 laps) where you'll need to pit to change tyres and/or refuel

And races are done based on your rank. So you won't be put into races with Lewis Hamilton when you first start!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Go for the daily races (confusingly named because they are available for a week!)

Race A is usually a short, gimmicky sort of race. Like everyone will have to drive the same car, or it'll be go karts or something.
Race B is usually a short but "normal" race, i.e. you'll be able to use any car from a certain class but there won't be pitstops etc
Race C is usually a longer race (10-15 laps) where you'll need to pit to change tyres and/or refuel

And races are done based on your rank. So you won't be put into races with Lewis Hamilton when you first start!

Thanks man, you do make it sound good. 

Is it cross play? I only use a standard dualsense, but I see videos of people with massive gaming rigs with pedals etc. Obviously they are going to be at an advantage.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Thanks man, you do make it sound good. 

Is it cross play? I only use a standard dualsense, but I see videos of people with massive gaming rigs with pedals etc. Obviously they are going to be at an advantage.

Yeah you'll play against people who have wheels. But they tend to be a higher rank so you'll only race them if you're good enough.

I've never had a wheel and had a whale of a time on it using the controller

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah you'll play against people who have wheels. But they tend to be a higher rank so you'll only race them if you're good enough.

I've never had a wheel and had a whale of a time on it using the controller

OK, so I had a stab at this last night, and thought I would report.

First attempt was not promising. I went for a local server, practice race, with no other lobby filters. There were about 5 other people in there, all of which had vastly superior cars, most of which were either doing donuts, driving the wrong way, or deliberately trying to smash into me. I was out of there quickly. 

I then tried to go for a real race, and filtered the PP of the car to just over the maximum of the one I was driving (i was around 540, the PP limit was 600). There was one other person in there, who again, despite the PP limit seemed to have a massive performance gap to mine. I picked a simple track (an oval) to start with to see what was what, and on the straights the difference in straight line speed was immense. I'm not sure what was going on, but to my mind it should have been reasonably close. Again I wasn't after victory, just having a go. 

I don't know what I was doing wrong, really- I looked for the 'daily' race you mentioned, but couldn't seem to find it.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not giving up just yet, I just need an experience to convince me to persist.

Edit- I should note that I'm not a newbie to racing games. Been playing them since the 90s. My weapons of choice more recently have been the F1 series, which I've been playing since the early PS4 era with no driver aids (except auto gears), and the Project Cars series,  in which I find the AI nicely challenging. That said I don't use a wheel, and I'm not playing them every day (yay Fifa!). 

Edited by HKP90

the problem with single player is that the cafe is a bizarre mode with not actually that much content

the older version where they just let you loose almost like an overwhelmingly open world RPG was miles better, the cafe holds your hand a little too much, one day i will go get a porsche and take part in the porsche cup but dont make me do it as activity number 12

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HKP90 said:

OK, so I had a stab at this last night, and thought I would report.

First attempt was not promising. I went for a local server, practice race, with no other lobby filters. There were about 5 other people in there, all of which had vastly superior cars, most of which were either doing donuts, driving the wrong way, or deliberately trying to smash into me. I was out of there quickly. 

I then tried to go for a real race, and filtered the PP of the car to just over the maximum of the one I was driving (i was around 540, the PP limit was 600). There was one other person in there, who again, despite the PP limit seemed to have a massive performance gap to mine. I picked a simple track (an oval) to start with to see what was what, and on the straights the difference in straight line speed was immense. I'm not sure what was going on, but to my mind it should have been reasonably close. Again I wasn't after victory, just having a go. 

I don't know what I was doing wrong, really- I looked for the 'daily' race you mentioned, but couldn't seem to find it.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not giving up just yet, I just need an experience to convince me to persist.

Edit- I should note that I'm not a newbie to racing games. Been playing them since the 90s. My weapons of choice more recently have been the F1 series, which I've been playing since the early PS4 era with no driver aids (except auto gears), and the Project Cars series,  in which I find the AI nicely challenging. That said I don't use a wheel, and I'm not playing them every day (yay Fifa!). 

Yeah I’d you go into normal lobbies then you’re at the mercy of whatever settings the host has set. Could be anything really. 

The daily races have “BOP” which I tbh M stands for balance of power. Basically the cars within each class are balanced so they’re all relatively similar. Some will still be better than others but the gap in performance is minimal. Basically you won’t end up racing against vastly superior or inferior cars making it pointless. 

Not sure why you can’t find the daily races. It’s been a while since I played so maybe it’s something you need to unlock. But those are where the real fun is

• Like 1

On 05/05/2023 at 23:41, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I’d you go into normal lobbies then you’re at the mercy of whatever settings the host has set. Could be anything really. 

The daily races have “BOP” which I tbh M stands for balance of power. Basically the cars within each class are balanced so they’re all relatively similar. Some will still be better than others but the gap in performance is minimal. Basically you won’t end up racing against vastly superior or inferior cars making it pointless. 

Not sure why you can’t find the daily races. It’s been a while since I played so maybe it’s something you need to unlock. But those are where the real fun is

Thought I'd mention that I found the section you mentioned. I was accessing via the 'Multiplayer' option on the world map, but I should have gone onto the 'Sport Mode' section, which as you say is way way better. 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2023 at 00:12, Hornso said:

I'll be honest, I hate trailers, but that's the best one I've seen for a long time. Got me wanting to see it.

It does look good apart from showing us virtually the whole movie

• Haha 2

Â