Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

22 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

It's one he stumbled into last season, and now seems to prefer. Until we're reverting to our backs to the wall 4321 gimmick, which is effective against the better sides.

4312 is bad to watch, won't win many games and doesn't get the best out of the players.

Slug it out for 60 mins then use Buendias energy for the rest 

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He's still a midfielder though, and signing him and him alone does not address the glaring issues with the midfield.  As had already been pointed out, if we had better midfielders who can hold onto the ball we wouldn't need better defenders.  We looked far more defensively solid the season before last under Smith.  There's a reason for that... Grealish.  He could hold onto the ball, or win freekicks.

You could have Nesta and Cannavaro in defense and it wouldn't matter if the midfield isn't improved upon.

I get the argument that better midfielders will mean we are stronger defensively and as such may not need top class CBs and can get away with what we have. However, this is just a perspective some people have and there is nothing wrong with it. However, regardless what has or has not been already pointed out it is still an opinion and our opinion matters little. It is the opinion of Gerrard et al that counts.If they believe a CB is more important then they should focus on getting a CB. The debate about CM or CB is fine, it also opens the debate about team selection: Emi2 or Phil? Doug, Sanson, McGinn, JJ etc, changes in team selection here can arguably improve our ability to hold on to the ball and thus take pressure off the defenders. All of these are valid opinions. The point of the original post was the use of "i hope the club don't think they’re getting away with that…". I disagree with this, I don't believe our club is managed like that and there is zero evidence to suggest it is.

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Who in their right mind would want to bring Macguire into their team? 

£50 million is cheap for McGinn. We should ask for more in order to get a proper replacement in. McGinn is under-appreciated by most here. 

On 16/08/2022 at 11:01, Steero113 said:

I find it funny that you've listed two of the clubs who have regressed in the last 18 months as your examples of "look what they're doing"...........

Aside from Nunes the signing that Wolves and Leeds have made have been disgustingly average. 

Brentford are the team that impressing me, the transformation under Frank, for a lightweight team to one, who no one wants to play, is impressive IMO...and No big money signings, just good blend.

I would like us to at least look at some of the things they are doing.

Norgaard alongside Kamara would have me feeling less stressed, during a game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, daft said:

£50 million is cheap for McGinn. We should ask for more in order to get a proper replacement in. McGinn is under-appreciated by most here. 

You got to love VT. Since Mings lost the captaincy the majority of the comments on here have been that McGinn is crap and should be dropped, now I read he is worth more than 50m. I think a lot of VT posters would be very qualified for jobs as 'journalists' with HITC 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

You got to love VT. Since Mings lost the captaincy the majority of the comments on here have been that McGinn is crap and should be dropped, now I read he is worth more than 50m. I think a lot of VT posters would be very qualified for jobs as 'journalists' with HITC 😀

I honestly consider McGinn to be a very important player to us,. I can't take responsibility for most people on here are 'underinformed'. People can live their lives any wrong way they want, but you can't blame me for that.😅 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

To be fair people were saying that before as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, daft said:

Who in their right mind would want to bring Macguire into their team? 

If someone genuinely offered 50 million for Mcginn I would hope we took their hand off 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would the same people ( From NSWE thread ) now moaning about everything from the owners spending too much, to spending too little be willing to wait the several years ( 5 - 10 years ) just to start finishing higher mid table in the " Brentford and Brighton " approach we've now again decided is what we should be doing?

You can't have it both ways, the same people claiming we should be finishing in European spots asap, are also claiming that we should be signing more unknowns and players with potential instead of proven players.

If Dean Smith was still here and decided he wanted the same players, would it then be ok?

Do people genuinely think Deano would have said no to some of these players if offered them? lol

Which is it?

It's like we also have to reiterate, all of this is openly available on the Internet. The plan was ALWAYS to get " A team to take us up, a team to survive in the Premier League, a team to solidify us in the Premier League , and a team to push us on to Europe "

" I like what we were doing with Dean "  yeah that's cool, but Deano was never in charge of transfer policy ffs. The plan has always been bigger than Deano, and he worked within similar confines at Brentford.

In the same vein, the transfer policy isn't ONLY down to Gerrard, we signed the likes of Ings with Dean.

It's bizarre that the massive investment into our own academy and the fact that we actually have Academy players in our first team squad performing RIGHT NOW always gets brushed under the carpet to suit a narrative ffs.

We've also signed 3 or 4 MORE elite Academy players just this year ffs.

But validation makes people feel good. And it is very easy to back up ones opinions with hypothetical scenarios and hyperbole. A football forum is a place people can get some validation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daft said:

I honestly consider McGinn to be a very important player to us,. I can't take responsibility for most people on here are 'underinformed'. People can live their lives any wrong way they want, but you can't blame me for that.😅 

It wasn't a dig at you. It was highlighting the over the top reactions to Mings losing the armband. It is similar to when Deano left and we got SG. I do think McGinn is undervalued on here but I am not sure about 50m. I would take 35m if I was offered and in a position to make a decision on it 😃

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Would the same people ( From NSWE thread ) now moaning about everything from the owners spending too much, to spending too little be willing to wait the several years ( 5 - 10 years ) just to start finishing higher mid table in the " Brentford and Brighton " approach we've now again decided is what we should be doing?

You can't have it both ways, the same people claiming we should be finishing in European spots asap, are also claiming that we should be signing more unknowns and players with potential instead of proven players.

If Dean Smith was still here and decided he wanted the same players, would it then be ok?

Do people genuinely think Deano would have said no to some of these players if offered them? lol

Which is it?

It's like we also have to reiterate, all of this is openly available on the Internet. The plan was ALWAYS to get " A team to take us up, a team to survive in the Premier League, a team to solidify us in the Premier League , and a team to push us on to Europe ". The quotes from Purslow/Dean are readily available.

" I like what we were doing with Dean "  yeah that's cool, but Deano was never in charge of transfer policy ffs. The plan has always been bigger than Deano, and he worked within similar confines at Brentford.

In the same vein, the transfer policy isn't ONLY down to Gerrard, we signed the likes of Ings with Dean.

It's bizarre that the massive investment into our own academy and the fact that we actually have Academy players in our first team squad performing RIGHT NOW always gets brushed under the carpet to suit a narrative ffs.

We've also signed 3 or 4 MORE elite Academy players just this year ffs.

If you want us to start buying the absolute best young players from around Europe, we need to either get a dodgy Mendes type deal in place, or spend over the odds. Those players are usually nailed on for the " elite " clubs.

So currently, our approach of blending more experienced, slightly older players with high pedigree, and blending it with our own talent plus academy, is just fine!]

Having said that, you would think we have an ageing squad and are on the brink of disaster, absolutely bizarre!

good post.

Shaun, I think we are doing a lot right.....but my only issue with recruitment is this......The blend must be paramount.

I think we sign good, well talented players.....but in terms of attributes, can be too samey......so subsequently some jobs are difficult to master, despite the coaching....too many have similar skill set and jobs go amiss.

Set Pieces are an example, where we are puny in the air.........but we still sign smallish players.

Brentford is a good example of being aware of the stature of their side and acting accordingly...sure they can't all be giants, ( although they nearly are) we need a mix.

We cannot keep relying on mIngs at set pieces, its too much to ask......We need some variety of Stature in our team, to add to the talent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not sure what that means but the injury to Carlos will not change the thought process of whether a new CM is required or not. However, it will have a financial impact and the club need to make a decision whether they funds are available to replace Carlos (short term or long term) and invest further in other areas of the team

To be fair it shouldn’t have an affect as we haven’t really spent much anyway