Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, ciggiesnbeer said:

Its all good mate! All legit opinions! I am all sunshine and roses! But we will all find out in a few days how good we really are!

Yep I hope you are right and I’m just being a little pessimistic 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think in the last 5 seasons with have the 4th or 5th highest net spend in the league and that includes a season in the Championship. I have no idea how much our wage bill has risen but I bet it’s massive. We’ve spent shit loads on signing young talent from across the country  and also a lot of money on training facilities. 

If all that is the minimum progress then I don’t know what to say. 

I think it's too easy to get wrapped up in the overall positives of the NSWE ownership to ask this question. The truth is, clubs like Wolves, West Ham and Leicester haven't spent as much but have performed better then us since our return. Don't forget West Ham was one of our relegation rivals in the season after promotion but has been in the top 8 the last 2.

Its right to be thankful, but its also right to ask if we are getting value for money in the pitch. At the moment that is debatable. 

On 02/08/2022 at 22:34, ZL- said:

Would like another CM but feel despite the Carney exit and fee gained I still don't think its quite enough for another given the mandate on the bloated squad unless we see Sanson guy but noises are Gerrard fancies him in the team all of a sudden.

If we're to play 4-3-3 throughout the season we're light on widemen. We could be shifting Trez, El Ghazi and Traore all in one window. We don't have a natural back up to Coutinho at LW, a more classic winger in similar profile to Bailey could be preferable so we can continue to play that formation even if Bailey gets injured. 

Martin Terrier who played LW for Rennes vs us the other day is my shout, he is a big talent who is a rapid LW who can be clinical in front of goal.

Another thought on Terrier is he would add to burgeoning French contingent of Digne, Kamara and Sanson. It's clear when squad building that recruiting in language/cultural groups eases adaptation as we've seen with our South Americans!

Just now, nick76 said:

Very true but you’re saying don’t spend money because we might not do well.  That’s feeling defeated before you start surely.  I don’t want to go for that job interview because I might not get it, I don’t want to ask that girl out because she might say no….

I am not saying don't spend money because we may not do well. I am saying we don't have loads of room with FFP and we need to be carful with our spend. We have invested a fortune into players and wages etc this summer. The club appear to be taking calculated risk with our spend. I like that

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We haven't finished as high as 10th in the PL since 2009/10. We are not drifting around 10th, it is an aspiration to break into the top 10 

Different ambitions of the club now though by the club and thus the fans.

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I think it's too easy to get wrapped up in the overall positives of the NSWE ownership to ask this question. The truth is, clubs like Wolves, West Ham and Leicester haven't spent as much but have performed better then us since our return. Don't forget West Ham was one of our relegation rivals in the season after promotion but has been in the top 8 the last 2.

Its right to be thankful, but its also right to ask if we are getting value for money in the pitch. At the moment that is debatable. 

To be fair they all had head starts on us.  We came up with about 2-3 first team players.  This has to be taken in to account surely?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Its all good mate! All legit opinions! I am all sunshine and roses! But we will all find out in a few days how good we really are!

I have never heard it called sunshine and roses. Next time I will ask for a 10 spot of sunshine & roses 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ZL- said:

Another thought on Terrier is he would add to burgeoning French contingent of Digne, Kamara and Sanson. It's clear when squad building that recruiting in language/cultural groups eases adaptation as we've seen with our South Americans!

But can also lead to cliques which can be terrible for the dressing room atmosphere so there’s a balance to be had

If we bought in a midfielder it would presumably be at Sanson’s expense as he seems bottom of the pecking order right now 

3 hours ago, macandally said:

Maybe because he has already played in Europe?

How do you know we bought him in for “mid table”?  Quote please as that is just ridiculous, you don’t buy players for increments, you buy them because of their ceiling.

For me, Sanson has played a decent part of pre-season and deserves a chance

Our Board very clearly stated that the plan was to get promoted, establish ourselves in the PL and then aim to push for European qualification.  Sanson was bought in the middle of those stages.  I don't think that is particularly controversial.  Of course buying players who can then develop and grow to the next level is a key part and maybe Sanson will improve to the point where he plays a key role in us getting 8th.  But I don't think he is a rung above McGinn or Luiz and I don't think he gives us the balance needed to really push the established sides.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, macandally said:

Sorry this is rubbish, you don’t invest in 22/23/24 year olds for two seasons, you do it because they have room to grow from an ability perspective.

There may be short term fixes, but the plan is more strategic than buying players for low, mid, high league hops 

The calibre of player we have attracted / signed in every window since this Board took over has improved.  Some players we bought in earlier windows have developed and progressed to the next level but quite a lot haven't.  Those that haven't have either already been sold or are now squad players rather than starters. That doesn't make them bad signings.  I am struggling to follow why you think this is rubbish.  It is quite clearly happening.  It is almost impossible to buy 15 young players at an average of £7-10 million a pop and expect them to all develop into Top 8 level players.  I think our recruitment policy has been pretty successful in the main.  AEG / Trez -> Bertie & Bailey -> Emi2 & Couts (and now possibly a resurgent Bailey as well giving us pretty good depth / options).  You can do the same thing in pretty much every single position in our team.  There are a few that have kicked on - Emi, Cash and McGinn being obvious examples.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Because we aren’t good enough

In your opinion, and that's all it is, your stating like it's a fact. 

Opinions are like arseholes, we all have them and they stink, but we only like our own stink. 

I shall be behind the manager and players all season regardless, some have had a vendetta against the manager since he walked through the door, and would rather us fail so they can say they were right.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Different ambitions of the club now though by the club and thus the fans.

I think the story was that Purslow wasnt happy that we didnt get into Europe 2 seasons ago and thats why he was happy to get rid of the last manager

I am not sure what has changed to switch his opinion

33 minutes ago, Joshie2000 said:

In your opinion, and that's all it is, your stating like it's a fact. 

Opinions are like arseholes, we all have them and they stink, but we only like our own stink. 

I shall be behind the manager and players all season regardless, some have had a vendetta against the manager since he walked through the door, and would rather us fail so they can say they were right.

Obviously in his opinion. Why do people keep posting this? It's safe to assume if there isn't a quote it's the poster's opinion. Hopefully we don't get to the point of needing to put a disclaimer on every comment.

p.s. you write your second line like it's a fact, but it's your opinion. Can't say I love the smell of my arsehole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2