Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

19 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Not having it sorry.

We got 55 with loads of guys now being deemed not good enough. Nine players played more mins than Grealish that season.

McGinn, Targett, Bertie T, Mings, Konsa, Doug played basically every game.

Barkley, El Ghazi and Trezeguet all made over 20 PL apps.

How would Gerrard get on with that lot? He's had ridiculously strong backing and I think 55 points is the bare minimum if he gets another player coming in on £100k a week.

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I see what you mean and I can’t argue.  I just can’t see this team getting 60 points plus without another top midfielder and striker.  

You make sense, I just can’t see it looking at this squad.

What if we finish 8th on 57 points and 4 points off 6th 🤔

Man U got 58 points last season in 6th with world class.players in their squad.

I think points need to be taken on the basis of the season.

Some seasons are toughe/more.competetivre than others, in the same vein, some are easier.

So essentially, based on last season, we should finish top 6?

We often seem to make it seem like other teams don't also improve and have a say in the matter as well.

I'm not necessarily saying the view is wrong either, just pointing out that it's not this one dimensional.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Some seasons are toughe/more.competetivre than others, in the same vein, some are easier.

So essentially, based on last season, we should finish top 6?

I think the essence of the message is less to do with points tally and more what our ceiling is and what would qualify as a successful campaign.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Probably fair.

Can you see many better likes in Arsenal & Utd's team you'd like though? Two/Three/Four/Five? It's not like the teams at the top who have literally better players in every position.

If we finish any place with 57 points and play well in two thirds of games, you won't hear me complaining.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Not having it sorry.

We got 55 with loads of guys now being deemed not good enough. Nine players played more mins than Grealish that season.

McGinn, Targett, Bertie T, Mings, Konsa, Doug played basically every game.

Barkley, El Ghazi and Trezeguet all made over 20 PL apps.

How would Gerrard get on with that lot? He's had ridiculously strong backing and I think 55 points is the bare minimum if he gets another player coming in on £100k a week.

I would be careful using the 55pt 'freak' season as a benchmark. There was no home advantage and many teams picked up more points than usual. Traditionally 55pts would probably get us in Europe, but that season it got us 11th. We would be lucky to get 55 next season, and that is with a better squad. That isn't a slight on Gerrard, but it's a very competitive league. I think 7-10 is a realistic target. 

• Like 2

Just now, Made In Aston said:

We would be lucky to get 55 next season.....I think 7-10 is a realistic target. 

These contradict each other IMO.

Disagree on the first bit, agree on the second bit.

51 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What kind of CM is he? Another Kamara type? Or a better Nakamba type?

Good question.

I've never seen him play over 90 minutes. 

Screenshot_20220719-064739_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Probably fair.

Can you see many better likes in Arsenal & Utd's team you'd like though? Two/Three/Four/Five? It's not like the teams at the top who have literally better players in every position.

If we finish any place with 57 points and play well in two thirds of games, you won't hear me complaining.

I think from 9th up is a real battle.

We must overtake the obvious like Brighton etc.

I think Arsenal will be strong ( Although they will probably bottle it at some point ).

Wouldn't surprise me if Leicester have another tough season and hoping Man U have another " transition " season lol.

West Ham also a bit of a toss up for me as I don't know who they've signed.

Quality of the squad has 100 percent gone up as you note but I feel we need at least one more top class player to be in business.

It's why I've cautiously been saying " 8th - 10th " with a good cup run.

I get what you are trying to say though. I just think people underestimate how tough it's getting.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's why I've cautiously been saying " 8th ".

Depends on the season, but the reason I don't hate that is because unless you're going to win it, the Europa League is almost in the way really.

Yes, of course I want to qualify for Europe, see us make some trips to Carrier Bag FC to watch us stuff some sides on their own patch. 

On a financial level though, it just doesn't do enough, it doesn't inject enough money. Champions League is where it's at before the Super League arrives again soon and we need to figure out where we fit into the new football pyramid. Without any Europe (even this year) we can have a huge go at the top six while their players are having to play every 3/4 days from October to March with a World Cup thrown in the middle.

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Season before we got 55 points, 11th and 10 points off sixth place.

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I agree, so you target a points total at the start of the season and then reassess later in the season.  It’s hard to target 7th because what is that points target.  Having a points total gives you something solid to target….Something like 10 home wins, 7 away wins and 9 draws overall.  I’m making that up before somebody breaks that down too much.

31 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We often seem to make it seem like other teams don't also improve and have a say in the matter as well.

I agree, so people saying we’ve added quality to a team that got 55 points 2 seasons ago should mean we should get 60 points, while makes sense…it also doesn’t because of other factors including other teams getting better.

41 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely no doubt we can push Man Utd and Arsenal all the way. As can West Ham, Brighton, Leicester. They are far from the secure in their "top six" status.

Just look at Arsenal's XI (with no Ghana players in their midfield) and see who you'd swap for our team. There isn't many at all, same with Utd; and they both have Europa League to content with.

Nah. Lots of people said that last year and they still easily finished in the top 6.   Their squads are so much better than the other 14.

Good point about Europa though, but they have large enough squads to contend with the extra games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

If we sign a forward line raul de tomas and a midfielder like Sangare we are in business. 

De Tomas is an intriguing one…

Has outperformed his XG. Is he a genuine upgrade on what we have??

I’d love for us to have a skilful striker who is deadly and fast enough to get onto through balls and be clinical in one on one’s… 

I just feel like we need to sell a CF before getting a new one… especially if playing with a single one in the side and it won’t be easy to keep them all happy… we’re not in Europe or extra competitions… Ollie and Danny are both on a hefty wage too… we have to manage our wage budget/structure along with the transfer one… hopefully we can get a decent fee for Davis but  no signs of any interest yet… could Archer make an impact for us?

I’ve been a big fan of Ollie’s ever since he joined but a fully fit and firing Ings would be the more “clinical option”, he often looked slow and sluggish last season but if he can overcome that, he can be a reliable source of goals… plus I really want both Buendia and Coutinho in the side…

Ollie seems a nailed on starter though… hopefully he can be better… last season wasn’t great for most if not all of our players, they can all do/be much better… 

Looking like we’ll stick with the strikers we have for now and try to get the best out of them, not a disaster or huge negative by any means… midfield is the priority and allowing our attackers more freedom to express themselves…

These guys did a decent vid on RDT, seem to know their stuff:

From a slightly different angle @Tomaszk @nick76, as we are in the transfer thread.

If we don't start climbing trees sharpish, only a matter of time before the big clubs come in for the likes of EMI and Kamara ( If he lives up to early promise )

So from that perspective, yeah we don't have so much time to be dossing around in the PL.

• Like 2

The Sangare hype train reminds of the summer before we signed Darren Bent. Everyone was mentioning him, saying how he was a great goalscorer which was exactly what we lacked. But when we got him, we found out his workrate and link up play was trash. His finishing was good, but not great, then he got injured came back fat and was never the same again.

All those youtube highlights of Sangare on the ball he has the time to take 2 or 3 touches to get the ball under control. You don't get that time in the prem. I can see an expensive flop for any prem team that signs him. He would do better in Italy or Spain.

• Like 2