Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

10 minutes ago, John said:

Xavier Simons, George McEachran, Thierno Ballo, Dion Rankine, Sam McLelland and Josh Brooking are academy players that will be out of contract in the summer and currently they cannot offer them new ones. 

Wasn't he a wonderkid in Championship Manager about 15 years ago?  He must be in his 30s now?

9 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Gerrard's not getting rid of Nakamba. He loves him.

Would love to see Wijnaldum come in. Absolute class.

The best thing about Wijnaldum is the things Klopp said about his loss in the dressing room and how even though he was leaving Liverpool he still was capain for the second half the season. That midfield experience, that leadership is absolutely key. 

What the club needs is the injection of senior players to create a culture of winning.

Think of the experience in medals and international caps starting next season vs last season if we made the following. 

Digne - Targett

Olsen - Steer

Gomez - Konsa

Suarez - Davis

Wijnaldum - Sanson

Bissouma - Luiz

Chambers - Tuanzebe

Coutinho - Traore

With the senior players in McGinn, Mings, Young, Martinez, Ings etc.. all still there. 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The best thing about Wijnaldum is the things Klopp said about his loss in the dressing room and how even though he was leaving Liverpool he still was capain for the second half the season. That midfield experience, that leadership is absolutely key. 

What the club needs is the injection of senior players to create a culture of winning.

I think SG has identified that and will be making big changes because of it.  We have some good players, but most of the squad seem to weak mentally, which is evident when we go a goal down, we very rarely come back to win.  You don't see that at the top clubs, like Liverpool the other night, 2-0 down but come back to win 3-2.

Having experienced winners will also help the young players coming through, someone like Wijnaldum would have a massive impact on Iroegbunam.  

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Wasn't he a wonderkid in Championship Manager about 15 years ago?  He must be in his 30s now?

No this one is 21. His brother Josh now plays for MK Dons, he's 29. :)

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'm not, he just misses too many chances. He's always scored fewer goals than his xG and continues to do so.

He's scored 15 league goals and 13 non penalty goals. His non pen goals per 90 is 0.42 hardly prolific!  (Watkins is on 0.32 for us this season and was 0.38 last season) His non Pen xG per 90 is 17.6 and he's scored 13 goals! He's consistently under performed his xG by a bigger margin than Watkins. Watkins is a better finisher

Lukaku did wonders at Inter and it hasn't worked back in the Prem. So you do have to factor in the league quality too.

I think we're in a good place with Watkins (4 in last 9) and Ings (2 and 4 assists in last 6), with Archer thrown in and a new signing (I still want Suarez for 12 months his goals per 90 is 0.56 even this season).

Coutinho, Buendia and Bailey all to be our other attacking talents. That's a quality set of attacking players with a full pre season together.

Hickie coming in would be big as I can see him being a left sided midfielder and a full back. He's over 6 foot tall and bulking up he has the physicality for midfield and full back. I think he's a very talented and versatile player who will get mins. IF we get one of the CDMs we're linked to (I rate them all) that's another key position. 

I see Konsa leaving and a new right sided CB coming in who is key to Gerrards press resistant passing (Gomez fits the bill). I think we'll sign another experienced no8 and I hope it's Wijnaldum. 

People can say oh look he's building a team of ex Liverpool players. I'd say look at what those players have done, what they've won, what experience they would bring and what our younger players would learn off them. Archer would be pinching himself learning from Suarez. We'd have a midfield leader of highest level in Wijnaldum. 

The outs would be. AEG, Trez, Guilbert, Konsa, Sanson, Traore, Luiz, Nakamba, Davis and 

0.42 non-penalty goals per 90 is a very good rate if he scored that in the PL. Yoanna Wissa has 0.43 non penalty goals per 90 this season and he is in the 91st percentile of strikers with that rate.

Its just serie A strikers are just incredibly prolific for some reason that it blows even Tammy's rate out of the water.

28 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That's Josh McEachran, was the poster boy for how Chelseas loan system could screw up a career as he was meant to be one of the best misfielders of his generation.

May be unfair on Chelsea though as looking back, he had 5 loans in 3 seasons. Maybe times have changed but we loaned Barry and Kesler twice this season and so it could easily be that the same could happen with them or our other players if they start getting loans at 18/19 (like McEachran was) but not quite ready for the step up.

Also like you say, was hyped through Football Manager too 

Edited by HalfTimePost

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think SG has identified that and will be making big changes because of it.  We have some good players, but most of the squad seem to weak mentally, which is evident when we go a goal down, we very rarely come back to win.  You don't see that at the top clubs, like Liverpool the other night, 2-0 down but come back to win 3-2.

Having experienced winners will also help the young players coming through, someone like Wijnaldum would have a massive impact on Iroegbunam.  

We need game changes off the bench and experience in closing out games too. With the signings I suggested we would have one of McGinn, Wijnaldum or Bissouma on bench to come on in a game.

We could keep our formation and bring one of Suarez or Ings on from the bench. 

Imagine a triple sub sub bringing - Buendia, Suarez and Wijnaldum on on a game. 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We need game changes off the bench and experience in closing out games too. With the signings I suggested we would have one of McGinn, Wijnaldum or Bissouma on bench to come on in a game.

We could keep our formation and bring one of Suarez or Ings on from the bench. 

Imagine a triple sub sub bringing - Buendia, Suarez and Wijnaldum on on a game. 

Would definitely help seeing out games or getting back into one.  And with 5 subs being introduced in PL can still give game time to younger players.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wijnaldum one of the biggest flops in the last year. Got his big payday and pretty much retired. That pressing he did at Liverpool is gone

No thanks 

Do you think we would be linked with Wijnaldum if he was putting in great performances playing week in week out for PSG?

Just now, duke313 said:

Do you think we would be linked with Wijnaldum if he was putting in great performances playing week in week out for PSG?

Ex Liverpool player so Yes 😛

• Like 2

The more I think about it the more I'd like Kondogbia and Wijnaldum this summer. We've a lot of talent coming through in midfield and we'd get 4+ years out of both those players at the club. 

Kondogbia only just turned 29. His passing stats are so excellent and defensively he's outstanding. His experience of CL and having won La Liga, being coached by Simeone. Then Wijnaldum and everything he's won and done. 

Add those to JJ, McGinn, Nakamba, Irogebnaum, convince Carney to stay it'd be excellent.  

I think Wijnaldum is a bit of a system player. He was just a perfect fit for Liverpool's system. But his individual qualities really aren't that good which is why he's been horrendously exposed PSG. You can't just shoehorn him into a star-studded side and expect the best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Wijnaldum one of the biggest flops in the last year. Got his big payday and pretty much retired.

If you put Grealish in place of Wijnaldum it’s still a correct sentence as well 😂

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If you put Grealish in place of Wijnaldum it’s still a correct sentence as well 😂

Grealish at least looks like he cares. Wijnaldum barely looks bothered, its a red flag a club wants you gone 6 months after signing 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Grealish at least looks like he cares. Wijnaldum barely looks bothered, its a red flag a club wants you gone 6 months after signing 

I've not heard anything about PSG wanting rid of him, only that they would listen to offers as the player himself wants to leave due to lack of game time.  It hasn't worked out for him at PSG, he probably should have stayed at Liverpool,  that doesn't man he wouldn't instantly improve our midfield.