Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

23 hours ago, A'Villan said:

We've not had any emphasis on that role since before October 2018.

Add to this we are discussing teams that have an almost exclusive choosing of talent as they can offer what other clubs, often can't.

It's rare to find a player who has the ambition to try and take a club to the next level when a ready made ticket is on offer from a club with more clout.

I struggle to find excuses for it, when lesser clubs than ours imo......have a better success rate of finding them.

I think its been a club thing, where only now has SG made references to it.

My frustration with this situation spans back to those times, Only Jedinak and Whelan, resemble such players and we all know we needed better quality than that, no disrespect to them.....perhaps their lacking technical ability, is etched in the memories of fans who are not convinced of such a role.

A good enforcer as you know, does have technical ability and passing prowess, but they just have the other essential ingredients to go with it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Basically, yes. We can of course sign players who are established as well, but not real top players. Our only chance of having star players is to try and find them on their way up.

Like Conor Gallagher?

He stood out at WBA.....maybe we tried and failed, who knows.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Haven’t Spurs tried to sell Winks to us? If so I’m happy we said no.

Not sure. We will do better than to buy Levis surplus. 

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

Was thinking the other day how good it would be if we got both Phillips and Bissouma.

Sell Dougie and Sanson.

Net spend £50m?

Our starting midfield would be:

------------------------- Phillips -----------------------

----------- Bissouma ---------------------------------

------------------------------------------ SJM ----------

with Nakamba, JJ and Chukie as the changes/options.

That would be some midfield??  Top 6?

Am I in FM land again though?

• Like 1

Do these players, have to be under our noses?

some of the players, we can be impressed with, at other clubs,  have come from obscure sources.

We have Rob MacKenzie, who is a reputable scout of previous success......I don't understand why, we don't do better, with the area of concern.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And me, I wouldn't take zouma over mings, konsa is a maybe but not a definite 

Tomori is the same, he's not getting in the England squad ahead of mings is he? I know Southgate is a clown but it's almost like he knows something... 

Tomori is better than Mings, you said it yourself Southgate is a clown.

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is a right wing back

Maybe we are talking about different players?

Edit: no, same.

I suppose Chambers started at RB.

Edited by A'Villan

Thanks.

I'm going to fire my scouts.

So now I'm currently unemployed. 

I had been searching promising young defensive midfielders from across Europe and at 190cm and from Ivory Coast the Yaya comment seemed apt.

You are right though he only would be considered a midfielder because Torino play with a back three.

You'd think multiple people who've published Web pages would have got that more clear.

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

One valid criticism and observation of us, is that we often play and build up WAY too slow, and not just with this manager, so i'm wondering if these are also player limitiations.

I would disagree here and say that we are too slow and timid in making decisions/passes but not not too slow to build up. One of the best things about Guardiola teams and something he stresses is patience in transition/buildup. If you watch closely you will notice that they (ManC) are methodical in buildup and a lot slower than you would imagine hence why they can win 3 zip but it still be quite monotonous. 

We lose the ball so often in transition or once it gets to the front line. I do agree that it is somewhat down to player limitations. 

Edited by Anything11

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Like Conor Gallagher?

He stood out at WBA.....maybe we tried and failed, who knows.

Yes one we probably looked at and obvious he'll be a top player. That said would Ramsey have played as much this season if we'd signed him given he has similar attributes so there's always another side to things.

Just randomly recalled that Turkish player WBA had last season at DM, Yokuslu. Pretty sure I was watching a La Liga match the other week and he was on the bench so shows decent players don't all cost tens of millions as he was o.k for them.

• Like 1